Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 1,589 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Short story.
I've purchased house a few years ago. I used Island Propane as supplier for my propane .They supply the tank (rental). Parco bought the Island Propane recently (2-3 yrs ago). I've just got a letter from them that they are going to charge me $79 plus tax annually for the tank.
The reason - "annual use is less than the required amount of propane that is required to cover our assets cost "
I recharge the tank once every 8 months (stove only) for approx $150.

Question: Does other companies charge fee for the rental ? Is it normal practice?
I need some recommendations. Im open to buy tank or change company to cut the cost in the long run.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:03 PM

252 posts, read 420,067 times
The absolute worst company on Long Island. Find a mom and Pop propane supplier. If you need one shoot me a DM

Old 07-29-2019, 05:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
I spoke to petro today for myself. They will provide tank for free. I am required to do atleast 1 full tank per year. There is a $130 safety check bs feee at installation. They charger $200 to remove the tanks if you stop using them. For just stove it was $5 gallon.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:48 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I own my tank. I do COD.
Best way.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I own my tank. I do COD.
Best way.
hotkarl who are you using for COD? If you don't mind me asking what is the current price per gallon. Petro is $5 for stove $1.93 if you commit to 500 gallon minimum. Of course the price is variable, that is today's rates.
I would prefer COD if I have to go the propane route.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 AM

629 posts, read 963,076 times
Ugh, I have Paraco as well, just for the stove, and I just paid my $79 annual fee. I have two 100 lb. tanks and only added about 32 gallons (about 1 year's worth) recently. I inherited the tanks when we bought the house, but I would be curious about alternate options as well, as gas cost me about $6.80/gallon I believe.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
hotkarl who are you using for COD? If you don't mind me asking what is the current price per gallon. Petro is $5 for stove $1.93 if you commit to 500 gallon minimum. Of course the price is variable, that is today's rates.
I would prefer COD if I have to go the propane route.
I use a small company on the east end. They only do the east end. It was a little under $5 a gallon but I haven't had a delivery in a while.
It's only for my stove and dryer so I only get a few deliveries a year.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,589 times
Thank you for all replies. I talked to customer service. I bought the house and I did not know the status of ownership of the tank. I was always COD with Propane island co and Parco.I never sign any contract with neither company. They said that the tank belonged to Propane Island and now it belongs to them. I cannot proof the ownership on my end.

User gx89 mentioned that they charge $200 for removal of the tank. Can I disconnect the tank by myself and return to them (and save $200)?
Can I buy my own tank and recharge by myself? I used to charge the talk for a forklift (smaller). I could buy 2 of them.
Can somebody give me a DIY solution?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 PM

Have them submit documentation that they actually do own the tank.

I don't see how they could, actually I could, but anyway, in a perfect world I don't see how they could be jerks if you remove the tank yourself and return it. Take photos of it before removing it so they can't pull the "you damaged it" card.

You can totally purchase your own tank and have it filled. Might be some.companies that are jackasses and refuse to fill or service a tank they didn't provide but whatever, someone will.
I own my tank and have had no issues with having it filled by different companies.

I'd start with the prove they own it route.
And obviously not something dated recently.
An original document from when the tank was installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island