Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:38 PM

987 posts, read 824,179 times

Advertisements

So here we go again. With school back in I've seen numerous violators. Police are not doing a good job enforcing the law. I understand it's tough to enforce the HOV lane but then should put something else in place to deter non HOV cars. Who do we complain/report to about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
It's easy to enforce the hov lane.
Usually the cops are pretty aggressive with enforcement. Maybe they have been instructed to address other violations more strictly this month. \0/

Old 09-08-2019, 05:27 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
So here we go again. With school back in I've seen numerous violators. Police are not doing a good job enforcing the law. I understand it's tough to enforce the HOV lane but then should put something else in place to deter non HOV cars. Who do we complain/report to about this.
And what do you suggest?

Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 AM

592 posts, read 920,124 times
What about the phony stickers out there? I see BMW X5's which have never been eligible for the Clean Pass with the stickers. This is blatant fraud.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
HOV lane crossers are just as bad as drivers who don't use their turn signal. The mental entitlement is strong with them. Even worse are the off-ramp lane cutters. If that's you, F off and die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
What about the phony stickers out there? I see BMW X5's which have never been eligible for the Clean Pass with the stickers. This is blatant fraud.
X5s have the e-drive version which qualify. Plug-in hybrid.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:11 AM

592 posts, read 920,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
HOV lane crossers are just as bad as drivers who don't use their turn signal. The mental entitlement is strong with them. Even worse are the off-ramp lane cutters. If that's you, F off and die.

X5s have the e-drive version which qualify. Plug-in hybrid.
X5 e-drive has never been on the list:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass

Old 09-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
X5 e-drive has never been on the list:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass
Wasn't aware there's an actual list. Technically they shouldn't be in the lane during hours, yes, but I don't see why not considering this is on the list:
BMW 530e Plug-in Hybrid Electric (PHEV)

So ask yourself if you're really peeved for the right reason. You make it sound like there have been many of them with the stickers. And are you even sure it was during HOV restriction hours AND there was only 1 occupant?

Last edited by ovi8; 09-10-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Wasn't aware there's an actual list. Technically they shouldn't be in the lane, yes, but I don't see why not considering this is on the list:
BMW 530e Plug-in Hybrid Electric (PHEV)

Maybe it's just paperwork at this point. So ask yourself if you're really peeved for the right reason (if indeed it's an X5 e-drive occupying the space).
The X5 has no place on an e-car list. The battery idea is, frankly, a joke. More a gimmick than a real hybrid. Battery range is very limited compared to real hybrids. Real-life gas mileage is in the low 20s. That's much worse than other, older hybrids that no longer quailify for clean pass.

I think the entire "hybird in the HOV lane" is nonsense to begin with. That said, virtually everyone breaks the rules. I have never seen a car in that lane with all FOUR stickers attached. Not that I blame the owners.. who wants to drop 100k on a Tesla and make it look like crap with bumper stickers on every surface. (Plus, they can give the extra stickers to family/friends with an X5e)

Last edited by Joe461; 09-10-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
And what do you suggest?
Best solution is to make the HOV lanes work like they do in many other areas. Solid line with a small buffer zone and free to go in/out. The limited and random in/out points only create problems.

Seems that the random in/out points are like so many other traffic rules in this area. All designed to encourage and make it easy for people to violate so they can generate a revenue stream via tickets.

(misread - this is in response to lane-crossers. The only way to stop those who don't belong there is to increase enforcement)

Old 09-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Best solution is to make the HOV lanes work like they do in many other areas. Solid line with a small buffer zone and free to go in/out. The limited and random in/out points only create problems.

Seems that the random in/out points are like so many other traffic rules in this area. All designed to encourage and make it easy for people to violate so they can generate a revenue stream via tickets.

(misread - this is in response to lane-crossers. The only way to stop those who don't belong there is to increase enforcement)
I don't think the current in/out points are all that random. Especially the out points designated for the next exit or two. And the entry points following a certain number of on-ramps.

The illegal lane-crossing happens a lot when people suddenly hit traffic in the other lanes and decide the HOV lane will allow them to move faster. Allowing the entries at designated points rather than randomly is IMO to keep traffic flowing smoother without more merging causing braking/accelerating. Why even have a designated lane and not just a 5th lane if you can move in and out freely?

What more can be done about violators? Allow dashcam submissions to police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island