Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 06:33 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,201,323 times

Advertisements

^^ Yes exactly.

And on top of that you can’t do the poured concrete floor properly unless you get under it which is next to impossible after construction. That’s why 90% of the people on the island run a dehumidifier in their basement out here. There is water everywhere under ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,068,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
In order to do the job right, you have to dig the dirt away from the foundation and seal the outside foundation from base to top. I inquired when I lived on LI and maybe 10 years ago it was $22 thousand.

Absolutely right, that is the way in a perfect world. Unfortunately we have a double whammy along the entire rear foundation of the house which only allowed us to do that on 1/3 of the rear foundation wall and of course that was the "driest" location which is on the south end. The middle third of the foundation has a 10x12 Four Seasons greenhouse room attached to it which means no excavation access is possible. And the north third of that foundation wall - which of course was the dampest - can't be accessed either because there is a 14" thick slab of concrete butting right up against the whole length (plus another 15 ft beyond, along a crawlspace extension family room) AND extending out 25 ft from the back of the house, with a Cambridge Paver patio sitting on top of it. They would have had to jackhammer a 14' x 6' section of that slab up in order to seal that foundation, which would almost certainly damage the rest of the foundation and shatter most of the glass in the Four Seasons room in the process, as collateral damage. Not an option. So it had to be sealed from the inside in those areas instead along with several cracks in walls and slab repaired from the inside with rebar, concrete, etc in addition to sealing the south 1/3 from the exterior. Again, not ideal but better than nothing. Still cost around $20K.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:41 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,101,135 times
I've said it a million times. And been ripped to shreds for saying it, but...
Basements were never intended for living space.
Lotta money if you really want to do it right.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I've said it a million times. And been ripped to shreds for saying it, but...
Basements were never intended for living space.
Lotta money if you really want to do it right.
Amen, brother.

I still can't believe the previous owners had an (illegal) apartment down there for 10 years. I guess SCCC students will live just about anywhere (seller was an SCCC professor and they had a revolving door of students every year, according to the neighbor). It was damp, had mold behind the walls from an upstairs bathroom leaks, and oh yes: we found out after moving in and starting to do renovations that it was infested with rats and mice. Just lovely. Of course all was nicely covered up for the listing with fresh paint, adroitly placed furniture, etc.

It is now gutted and an unfinished basement just like the Town has always assumed it was. It's clean, drier than it was, and legal.

After I'm dead the next owner can do whatever they want with it, LOL

Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 PM

47 posts, read 41,282 times
Thank you all for the replies, the one about the damp and smelly basement keeping the wife out made me chuckle. As far as the person who said basements weren’t meant to be living space - we have conquered flying, can travel into space. and have harnessed solar power - don’t tell me there isn’t a way to make my basement comfortable (joking).

I know this is an uphill battle... and I don’t think I am ready to rip out the ground outside of the foundation , so with that in mind, if I were to rip up the interior and seal the floor and walls with vapor barriers does anyone have experience with this approach? I guess if I did that and it wasn’t sufficient I would live with running a dehumidifier forever.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914golfer View Post
I know this is an uphill battle... and I don’t think I am ready to rip out the ground outside of the foundation , so with that in mind, if I were to rip up the interior and seal the floor and walls with vapor barriers does anyone have experience with this approach?
Depends on how you approach it. First question: Are your basement walls made of poured concrete, or of concrete blocks?

As far as the floor goes, what's on there now? If it's any sort of carpet, that's part of your problem. It's the worst possible choice in most cases.

Before doing anything to the floor or walls you need to find out where the moisture is coming from: groundwater? condensation under flooring materials or behind walls, due to the temperature differential? bad grading or lack of downspouts (or downspouts not carrying the water far enough away from the foundation?

There are several "waterproofing" materials for interior basement walls. One that everybody's heard of is DryLock. Don't waste your time or money on it. It's just a fancy form of paint. Sure it will adhere for a while but because it has no elastomeric properties it will start to form tiny cracks which defeats the entire purpose. DryLock does not form a permanent bond with the surface it's painted onto.

What you need is this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Thoro-T5010-W.../dp/B000BO9U8S

It used to be called Super Thoroseal until recently, but for some reason they changed the name to MasterSeal.

It is actually a cement product, not a paint (although after application it looks like a light grey paint). This is the what the professionals use (well, the ones who do the job right anyway.) It actually bonds to the concrete it's applied to, and most importantly it can expand and shrink when the concrete does (unlike the DryLock which can't do either of those things.)

Do not ever ever EVER let anyone talk you using using that black stuff (tar seal) on an inside wall. Actually I think it's now against code to use it there but of course they still sell it and some yahoos will say it's okay on an inside wall that will then be drywalled over. It's not okay.

Hopefully if you remove the basement sheetrock you will not find the situation that is described here:

https://forum.nachi.org/t/tar-on-interior-walls/87149/6

Unfortunately, we found the same kind of thing. Whatever idiot prior owner created the illegal apartment had those interior basement walls tarred with the same stuff that is normally used on the exterior. Discovered it when the sheetrock was ripped off. And they had applied it floor-to-ceiling.

The stupidity of some humans never ceases to amaze me.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:48 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,247,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914golfer View Post
Thank you all for the replies, the one about the damp and smelly basement keeping the wife out made me chuckle. As far as the person who said basements weren’t meant to be living space - we have conquered flying, can travel into space. and have harnessed solar power - don’t tell me there isn’t a way to make my basement comfortable (joking).

I know this is an uphill battle... and I don’t think I am ready to rip out the ground outside of the foundation , so with that in mind, if I were to rip up the interior and seal the floor and walls with vapor barriers does anyone have experience with this approach? I guess if I did that and it wasn’t sufficient I would live with running a dehumidifier forever.
A friend had the corning system installed in his basement and they claimed that would do the trick with vapor barrier etc. It made it better, however it still is not the best.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:57 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,251,528 times
before you spend any big $$$, make sure the gutters drain far away from the house, and the landscaping around the house makes rain water drain away.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:57 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,101,135 times
Anything is possible with money.
The average person doesn't want to spend 50-100 grand on a basement, to do it right.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:19 AM

47 posts, read 41,282 times
First and foremost thanks again for everyone’s feedback. Seeking some more opinions before I blindly listen to a contractor...

So, the summer and humid temps have come to pass. We have had quite a few heavy periods of rain, but since the humidity is gone my basement has been much better. I have not had to empty my dehumidifier in weeks.

With that information in mind does anyone have any other suggestions? Still no signs of water intrusion and without humid air the “musty” smell has dissipated and we aren’t collecting water in our dehumidifier.

Any suggestions or opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island