Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 08:01 PM

111 posts, read 108,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
I prefer neither; but Nassau is better by comparison.

Suffolk used to be better up until the early 2000’s but right now it’s being hit harder by the heroin epidemic, MS-13, flat property values and worsening commute times. A hard pass..
yeah, you make a good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longislandguy7545 View Post
haha that's cool! what areas in Suffolk? and oh those Nassau towns certainly are beautiful!
Well, assuming healthy funds there'd be Huntington Bay, Nissequogue, Head of the Harbor, Old Field and Poquott along the north shore. Wouldn't want anything east of Poquott and Port Jeff Village is too congested. Forget Northport north of the high school because cell phone reception is horrendous there.

Moving further south and more into budget reality, certain areas of Smithtown (like The Pines and College sections) and the northwest part of Saint James along Ledgewood and Fifty Acre Road.

Dix Hills definitely, but not adjoining Wyandanch and not within four blocks of the Expressway (noise!)

West Islip south of Sunrise Hwy and especially south of Montauk Hwy (if someone else is paying for the insurance). [An upside to West Islip is that it all has sewers.] Brightwaters south of Sunrise. Bay Shore south of Montauk Hwy only. East Islip south of the village only and especially Bayberry Point (ditto the insurance money requirement though.) Sayville and Bayport ok but Sayville village traffic and parking are a PITA so maybe not after all.

Nothing east of Bayport, sorry. Too far east for me except for an occasional visit for shopping etc. Not to live there.

That about covers it, LOL

ETA correction: Islip's Bayberry Point ;-)

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 08-15-2019 at 08:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 08:28 PM

Excellent answer! Just what I was looking for. And those are all lovely neighborhoods you listed.

But isn't bayberry point in regular Islip?

Old 08-15-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Excellent answer! Just what I was looking for. And those are all lovely neighborhoods you listed.

But isn't bayberry point in regular Islip?
Aha, you are right! My bad. It's that right turn after you pass the church and that restaurant whose name I always forget.

And as an afterthought, not a fan of Oakdale. Housing stock is either tract or (in Idle Hour) very small houses on small lots along narrow streets. And it floods (or used to; have not been there in years) and there's the traffic to and from the school.... No thanks. :-)

Old 08-15-2019, 08:35 PM

Beach tree cafe is it?

Old 08-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Beach tree cafe is it?

Bingo! Thanks

Old 08-15-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Bingo! Thanks
Yes!! I know exactly the area you're referring to. It sure is nice over there.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 AM

151 posts, read 133,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnseenuh View Post
Suffolk.

Nassau is too congested. The fact that MS-13 is here, is a good thing. Back in good old days in NYC, you also had gangs.

If there is gangs, it's a good sign. No gangs = high rents = hispters = not good.
Even the most gang-infested parts of Long Island still manage to have mega-high rents and property taxes. People assume that the rough spots of LI are some type of bargain when this is further from the truth. They pay almost just as much and get even far less in return.

- If you don’t believe me then check out any real estate website and find me ANY legal 1 bdr apartment ANYWHERE in Nassau/Western Suffolk for under $1,400 a month (senior 55+ housing and scams don’t count). However, you MIGHT be able to get away with an illegal 1 bdr basement apartment on Craigslist for this much.

- Also check out the property taxes in some of the hoods like Westbury, Freeport and Hempstead. You get hit extra hard since these places have additional local taxes too. I’ve seen homes in Hempstead with tax bills over $25k (and yes, they were within Hempstead school district).

- God forbid you have kids...now you’re paying private school on top of all of this. And when you’re ready to sell, you get hit with low resale value (since suburbs almost never gentrify like an inner-city neighborhood might).

And there are tons of places in the Midwest and the South with no gangs that are very affordable and awesome places to live (cities, towns, suburbs and rural areas).

Lastly, I don’t understand how people refer to past decades as the “good ole days” for NYC. Yeah, the cost of living was better but is it really a nice way to live being constantly surrounded by large numbers of violent muggers, druggies, gang-bangers, burned out buildings, tacky graffiti and garbage everywhere? I understand that NYC is now overpriced and has a sterile corporate vibe to it now but at least it’s mostly safe and thriving. People who glorify “Old NY” should just move to Camden, North Philly or Detroit if they think living in a craphole is cute.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 08-16-2019 at 03:33 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 05:14 AM

4 posts, read 2,796 times
Just discovered Nassau - I used to only drive through it to get to Suffolk

but I am quite enamored & intrigued ... totally expanded my house hunt territory.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:13 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,280 times
Nassau is nothing but NYC queens lite. Some nice spots if you can come with the mega $$$$$$ for purchase and Taxes
Suffolk Over all is better. Any of the Islips south of 27, north of 27A is more affordable and still nice for A family.
So is West Sayville,Sayville ,Bayport and Blue Point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island