Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 773 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am hunting for home owners insurance and was wondering what is a good yearly price for the insurance in Bayshore. The house is near Bay Shore Middle School

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 PM

9,935 posts, read 23,248,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingghoul3 View Post
Hi everyone I am hunting for home owners insurance and was wondering what is a good yearly price for the insurance in Bayshore. The house is near Bay Shore Middle School

Thanks

Most likely somewhere between $1,200 and $2,500/yr.

Many factors affect the cost of home owners insurance (as in all insurance products).

Old 01-11-2020, 01:20 PM

29 posts, read 21,289 times
Narangasset can get you 185k for rebuild for 835 a year. 400k will get you ..about twice that.

I think rebuild costs are about 250k for a 1300 sqft home.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,075,171 times
Owner of a 1300 sf home here (not near any water.) Nothing fancy: a partial one-car garage, unfinished basement, no pool or deck or hot tub. Central air, oil heat. No pets. Close to fire hydrant. Nothing that would bump up the premium.

Dwelling coverage $449K, personal property $315K. Windstorm deductible only 2% (which is lower than the more common 5%). Normal deductible $5000 (by choice.) Personal Liability coverage $300K. Loss of Use coverage: Actual Loss Sustained.

That last item (Loss of Use) is important. You don't want a cap on Loss of Use if you find yourself in a situation similar to Sandy victims who needed to find alternative housing for a year or more.

10% credit applied for having a monitored alarm system and a $450 credit for choosing the higher deductible. Renewed last July with Merrimack for $1244.

Here's the important replacement cost info though. The policy

"will provide coverage to repair or rebuild your home as it was before the loss, utilizing materials of like kind and quality even if the cost exceeds your building coverage limit. If needed, we will pay in excess of the Coverage A limit, up to the amount necessarily spent.

Many other companies limit or cap their "guaranteed" or "extended" replacement cost coverage to 125% of the Coverage A amount."

So in effect this is an unlimited replacement cost coverage.

The policy also does NOT deduct for depreciation of personal property items that need to be replaced.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:41 PM

OP, if the house has oil heat and the tank is buried (underground) rather than being in the basement or garage or on the ground outside the house, that will cause a problem getting insurance. Most insurance companies don't want to insure houses with a buried oil tank anymore.

Just FYI because it's something to be aware of.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
OP, if the house has oil heat and the tank is buried (underground) rather than being in the basement or garage or on the ground outside the house, that will cause a problem getting insurance. Most insurance companies don't want to insure houses with a buried oil tank anymore.

Just FYI because it's something to be aware of.
Narangasset will do it.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.WIllson View Post
Narangasset will do it.
I am surprised to hear that, because Narragansett can be picky about some things. Here's a thread from 2011 in which one of our regular posters here (OhBeeHave) had their coverage and reported that:

The application was very extensive and during the application process even went so far as to have me document my dogs by taking pictures AND supplying vet records. If you have a pitbull or another breed with a bad reputation -- they aren't going to insure you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...nsett-bay.html

However... Narragansett was acquired by another insurance company, Heritage Insurance Company, in late 2017. Heritage is a Florida insurer and they wanted to expand their business up the East Coast and to bolster Heritage's fading financial strength and customer experience ratings. Don't know how or if Narragansett's criteria has changed since then, although there are some pretty sobering post-2017 reviews on Yelp:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/narraganset...pany-pawtucket

It may be that Narragansett is a fine company to have unless/until you have a claim. Some companies are like that.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am surprised to hear that, because Narragansett can be picky about some things. Here's a thread from 2011 in which one of our regular posters here (OhBeeHave) had their coverage and reported that:

The application was very extensive and during the application process even went so far as to have me document my dogs by taking pictures AND supplying vet records. If you have a pitbull or another breed with a bad reputation -- they aren't going to insure you.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/lon...nsett-bay.html

However... Narragansett was acquired by another insurance company, Heritage Insurance Company, in late 2017. Heritage is a Florida insurer and they wanted to expand their business up the East Coast and to bolster Heritage's fading financial strength and customer experience ratings. Don't know how or if Narragansett's criteria has changed since then, although there are some pretty sobering post-2017 reviews on Yelp:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/narraganset...pany-pawtucket

It may be that Narragansett is a fine company to have unless/until you have a claim. Some companies are like that.

I'm going to switch from narangasset. If house has more equity and it burns. Itll be a pain to get insurance money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: