Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 03:55 PM

579 posts, read 984,034 times

Advertisements

So I see that the new Hemp. town Supervisor has removed 40 take home cars from Town Commissioners & Dept heads and saved the Towns taxpayers a ton of money. That got me thinking how many take home cars do Nassau ( & Suffolk) have that could be instantly eliminated & how much taxpayer dollars could be saved? Would Curran & Stevie know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 AM

1,107 posts, read 558,679 times
$600k savings over 5 years is not "a ton of money" for TOH.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:19 AM

And considering that most of the people who were using the cars were not even supposed to have one and were using them for personal use, he's not saving us money. He's just discontinuing a patronage policy that *cost* us money.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:34 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,899,744 times
My neighbor is a superintendent that makes over 500k a year and he has a take home car. I find it funny.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:43 PM

46 posts, read 41,012 times
Nassau County
From Newsday in 2018:

Nassau County has failed to monitor its “take-home” vehicle fleet, ensure drivers are properly licensed, and retrieve vehicles from departing workers in a timely manner, the county comptroller said Thursday.

The same issues regarding lax oversight of the take-home vehicle policy were raised three years ago in an audit that determined poor supervision had exposed the county to unnecessary expense and liability, Comptroller Jack Schnirman said.

“There’s some key questions that were raised back in 2015 that should have been addressed right away,” Schnirman said as he revealed the findings of the latest audit at a news conference in Mineola. “They relate to basic issues of accountability. It was distressing to learn that years later, when our audit team went back, they found little had changed.”

Schnirman’s audit updates the 2015 report by then-county Comptroller George Maragos, who was a Republican at the time. Schnirman, a Democrat, said he advised Democratic County Executive Laura Curran’s office of the latest findings and recommendations July 28 and steps are being taken to address the issues.

Maragos in 2015 noted 11 problems, finding numerous instances of questionable vehicle usage and departments failing to manage their vehicle stock properly.

Nassau only fixed two of the problems in its oversight of 363 take-home cars assigned to workers — and 10 of those are public works employees who live in Suffolk County and racked up more than $125,000 in excess costs over two years, the new report said.

Noting a “culture of complacency,” Schnirman said that there was no central oversight of the county’s take-home vehicle fleet; drivers who have access to these vehicles were not routinely having their information entered into a statewide database to ensure that they have valid licenses; and there was no formal policy in place to ensure that vehicles are returned after the employee either retires, resigns or is fired.

“There shouldn’t be any confusion as to what department and employee a vehicle is assigned to,” Schnirman said. “These aren’t toys. These are assets that should be only used as needed by authorized employees.”

The county has responded by requiring more accountability from each department; more closely scrutinizing the use of take-home vehicles by contractor employees; and improving maintenance of the inventory of fleet vehicles, according to the latest audit.

Curran’s administration “has taken up the issues that we found and they have taken them up quickly, and it’s a great example of the whole purpose of an audit, to actually affect results and get results,” Schnirman said in a telephone interview before the news conference.
To ensure the county follows through, Schnirman and Deputy Comptroller Kim G. Brandeau said the county’s performance again will be audited in six months.

“Transparency in our government is a priority for my administration,” Curran said in a statement released by Schnirman’s office. “We must restore faith in government.”
During the comptroller’s office investigation, “the lack of centralized fleet management required auditors to piece together information between departments to determine the correct number of County-owned vehicles and develop a master list who is authorized to drive them.”
Schnirman’s office found the Department of Public Works did not know who drove the 71 county-owned vehicles that three years ago were reassigned to Suez North America, which runs the county’s wastewater system.

The audit determined that more than 20 percent of drivers did not acknowledge the county’s online vehicle policy and that there was “no evidence that any department head had performed the required annual assessment of the need for take-home vehicles assigned to their employees.”

Schnirman also estimated the excess costs for fuel and depreciation for the vehicles used by the public works employees living in Suffolk were $71,785 in 2016 and $55,519 in 2017. In 2015, that number was estimated at $60,000.

Maragos had recommended possibly abolishing the practice of giving take-home vehicles to out-of-county employees, five state judges and the commissioner of jurors.

Judicial branch workers no longer have those cars, the current comptroller’s office said.
That is one of two problems that were fixed, the audit said. The second passing grade Nassau got was for updating and issuing its handbook on motor vehicle polices.

Three departments, police, corrections, public works, the district attorney’s office and the Fire Commission have most of the county’s take-home cars, the report said. These vehicles are only given to 4.8 percent of the county workforce and they cannot be used by off-duty workers — unless they are commuting.

Problems with Nassau County employees’ use of take-home cars the comptroller found:
  • Nassau lacked “a complete and accurate inventory” of the vehicles that were used by different departments.
  • Departments were not held accountable; for instance, one retiree’s vehicle took weeks to locate.
  • The county did not know who was driving 71 vehicles assigned to contract workers.
  • More than 20 percent of the workers could not show they understood county policies as they had not completed online forms.
County executive’s response to criticisms:
  • Agreed with majority of findings; has already begun correcting the problems.
  • A Department of Public Works unit now is responsible for oversight and stronger controls.
  • Obtained names of all contractors driving county vehicles; will monitor their driver’s licenses. Obtained the insurance certificates.
  • Plans to streamline fleet reporting for all the county.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 PM

592 posts, read 923,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
My neighbor is a superintendent that makes over 500k a year and he has a take home car. I find it funny.
Hogs at the trough.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:22 PM

305 posts, read 197,495 times
Town of oyster bay garbage men supervisors have them, water company employees have them too.
Guessing this is a perk that isn't being touched.
What should be addressed is why with computers we have as many office workers in the towns when record keeping was by paper.
Same goes for school systems

Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM

Many moons ago, I worked for a then-prominent Town of Oyster Bay councilman, back when Venditto was Town Attorney. Some of the councilman's friends were given high-paying jobs with well-appointed offices in Town Hall (including large salt water fish tanks) to do absolutely nothing. I remember visiting one them in his office to deliver something from my boss, and he literally was just sitting there, with not a single piece of paper or file anywhere on his desk, just staring at the fish tank. He literally had nothing to do but show up. I got disgusted then and there and left my job soon after. I have no doubt we are being raked over the coals by local government, and it sickens me that they get away with it.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:19 PM

259 posts, read 176,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
So I see that the new Hemp. town Supervisor has removed 40 take home cars from Town Commissioners & Dept heads and saved the Towns taxpayers a ton of money. That got me thinking how many take home cars do Nassau ( & Suffolk) have that could be instantly eliminated & how much taxpayer dollars could be saved? Would Curran & Stevie know?

Any number above zero is too many.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM

305 posts, read 197,495 times
Nepotism is rampant, civil service work around hire off the list then within a few months you're fired and these "executive referrals" borrow in.
How about Kate Murray who lost north he.pstead, then went on to become Nassau Community College attorney now back in the repub patronage machine.
Still would like to know how many cars and why they can't show up to office like rest of us and sign
Out car like us peons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: