Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 12:40 PM

661 posts, read 1,069,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't entirely agree with your first paragraph because there are lots of power mad bosses out there who feel that they have to have everyone under observation at all times.

Spot on here. But Covid makes things different. Some depts in my company have a liberal work from home policy while my manager and many old timers in my dept discourage it. During times like a potential snowstorm they would get rooms and ask folks to share??? I'd simply refuse and use a day if necesary but they had the ability to work from home but would not encourage its usage. Yes...there is a possibility you may lose power in a snowstorm, but the idea of having to share a room or come in and struggle on the LIRR commute and have it take you 3 hours to get home made no sense to me. People would come in hacking, sneezing constantly and it was like a badge of honor. So stupid..and the same folks that do nothing at home do nothing in the office (play on their homes, are always away from their desk, etc.).

Now with Covid, there are going to be company wide policies that will usurp the power that micro managers had. Corporate sends all these syrupy emails about we value you and your health so employees will say show me. We have managed to work from successfully for 3 months and I think employees are going to demand change especially given that many of us work in sardine like offices without partitions where social distancing cannot be possible. Who is going to wipe off the one faucet in the kitchen pantry throughout the day, clean the fridge, the printer, who is going to monitor how many people are in the bathroom/elevator at once. HVAC systems, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 11:12 AM

304 posts, read 787,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If they raise the fare, probably be cheaper to drive to manhattan. I pay $20 to park all day now. Even better, I get it fully reimbursed by my employer

MTA needs to cut salary across the board 20% and no more OT. They are fiscally irresponsible
That's a nice deal. My wife works as a pharmacist in South Brooklyn (Bensonhurst/Bay Ridge). Before C-19, her commuting time was almost 2 hrs door to door. She has been driving the past few months (not getting reimbursed for parking, tho). This new LIRR system would likely forced her to continue driving to work. Hoping traffic won't be returning to normal anytime soon.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 AM

6,391 posts, read 13,213,389 times
If MTA would just hire a few honest people who would over see the OT work they would save millions yearly!!

Old 06-01-2020, 11:32 AM

8,751 posts, read 11,162,521 times
Traffic is starting to build up. West bound to nyc is zero traffic. East bound is about 15 min slower due to congestion...roughly 30 min from entry to queens to cross island parkway

Old 06-01-2020, 11:40 AM

304 posts, read 787,119 times
Quote:
Traffic is starting to build up. West bound to nyc is zero traffic. East bound is about 15 min slower due to congestion...roughly 30 min from entry to queens to cross island parkway
Yup. Back in March to early April, would take her about 40 min to home. Late April to early May, would take 50-60 min. The past 2 weeks, taking her 60-80 min.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 PM

6,391 posts, read 13,213,389 times
Oh yeah def seen the uptick in traffic today! Vacation is over Nyc commuters!

Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Oh yeah def seen the uptick in traffic today! Vacation is over Nyc commuters!
It’s going to be ugly with phase 2 & 3. Some people will refuse to take LIRR

Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,429,842 times
Quote:
It’s going to be ugly with phase 2 & 3. Some people will refuse to take LIRR
Hopefully they never come back. Loving these empty trains!

Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 AM

2,697 posts, read 2,363,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Hopefully they never come back. Loving these empty trains!
I have no intentions of getting on a train during peak hours in the next year. If people don’t come back the fares are going to skyrocket. There costs don’t go down with a 20% ridership decrease and we all know they aren’t letting people go to save $$.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I have no intentions of getting on a train during peak hours in the next year. If people don’t come back the fares are going to skyrocket. There costs don’t go down with a 20% ridership decrease and we all know they aren’t letting people go to save $$.
Wrong. That is one reason why the government brainless. The right way is to layoff and renegotiate union contracts. Cut executive pay.

I would be driving to manhattan forever if it’s $50 round trip LIRR tickets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island