Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:35 PM

3,313 posts, read 2,401,808 times

Advertisements

Now that I got your attention, hear me out. Since school has been closed since March and may not reopen until September, that translates to six months of no virtually no services. So, no sports, band, concerts, events, lunches, utilities, School books, supplies, smart boards, Bus service, extra help, assemblies, etc. that means that tons of our taxes that were already collected will not be used. Of course the salaries and basic electrical expenses remain. So, what happens to all of that unspent money? Are we getting it back? Probably not. Why is this not investigated? There should be a huge surplus because of the shutdown. But there won’t be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 08:45 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,367,374 times
Isn’t a lot of this paid by the parents?

Old 05-28-2020, 08:58 PM

6,391 posts, read 13,212,430 times
Well if I had to guess a lot of that stuff was already signed for the 2019-2020 contract. So the contract still stands and the monies are owed.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:46 AM

22,751 posts, read 37,026,000 times
Half that stuff isn’t paid by taxes. It’s paid out of pocket on top of taxes.

But the biggest expense of your school taxes is salaries/pension/benefits. That didn’t go away.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:15 AM

57,400 posts, read 26,435,155 times
Salaries and benefits come to around 70% and support for distance learning probably increased, I don't see any significant savings. Some savings in building maintenance, busing and sports, transportation, food service but I just don't see much. Planning for the next school year is going to be costly and an increase in technology for remote learning.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:17 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,556,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Now that I got your attention, hear me out. Since school has been closed since March and may not reopen until September, that translates to six months of no virtually no services. So, no sports, band, concerts, events, lunches, utilities, School books, supplies, smart boards, Bus service, extra help, assemblies, etc. that means that tons of our taxes that were already collected will not be used. Of course the salaries and basic electrical expenses remain. So, what happens to all of that unspent money? Are we getting it back? Probably not. Why is this not investigated? There should be a huge surplus because of the shutdown. But there won’t be.
The “ money” is spent based off of last years budget. Rent, utilities, maintenance are all still required for the buildings. Probably more now then every because of disinfecting.

As Twiingles stated: But the biggest expense of your school taxes is salaries/pension/benefits. That didn’t go away.
Rate this post positively

I thought they were teaching online?

Old 05-29-2020, 05:24 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,840,967 times
Schools are still forced to pay everyone or pay lawyers MORE to break contracts. Districts that continue to pay staff and vendors will have an easier time re-opening. Those who didn't will not. It is unlikely they will still have a bus company or drivers, food service or other services because they didn't support the vendors who are now either out of business or have employees getting more on unemployment (they furloughed them just so they could do that).

The PROBLEM is the COST to re-bid services, get hosed on new contracts with thousands of teachers simultaneously burning out/retiring over this, COSTS will SKYROCKET. Retirement payouts alone may throw budgets out of whack (this is usually a prudent RESERVE fund). Costs just to mitigate COVID and maintain social distancing will be a huge pool of money, hopefully CARES act funds OR, IF LUCKY and played smartly (RESERVES)! Otherwise, they'll have to float bonds and borrow ie MORE tax dollars!

If Trump and LI weren't such dopey arrogant twits, this disaster could be parlayed into the greatest economic and infrastructure windfall since WWII and he'd easily be re-elected, but nope. Stupid is as stupid does so let's play slap fight over partisan idiocy and shoot ourselves in both feet while our TV-reality-lizard chief spins in moron circles trying to figure out who to put up dukes with next, completely devoid of actual political or business acumen, despite a supposed Wharton degree. Hmmm. He can't even #win when he gets the ball on the 1 yard line w/ 4 fresh downs. He's almost like a Democrat in that regard!

Old 05-29-2020, 05:49 AM

731 posts, read 731,262 times
Oh stop moaning and get the second half of taxes in mail by end of day.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:52 AM

19,339 posts, read 17,268,402 times
Just plan on paying your taxes and anticipate an increase for next year, after all the costs for cleaning supplies, ppd and technology support...

Old 05-29-2020, 06:39 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,808,612 times
So hated my LI school tax bill, I used to call it the Little Bastard Tax.

No, your taxes won't be going down 50% or any other amount. In fact, they will probably go up considering new disinfection and other safety measures will become part of the regular school day. This expense will be ongoing and a permanent addition to the budget.

I can't imagine how some of you scrape up the monthly nut with unemployment as high as it is. Sometimes I miss LI and the old time places, although my 6 month tax bill, at $1,050, eases a lot of the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island