Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 06:39 PM

376 posts, read 310,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Yes less white people. I'm a minority and my kids are interracial, I want to be feel comfortable and my kids to be comfortable in my own neighborhood. I don't want to be pulled over while driving or followed inside a store because I don't look like the rest of the neighborhood. Also want my kids raised in a diverse neighborhood like the real world...a neighborhood should not be 95% white like most of Long Island and that's the reality.
I don’t understand this mentality. You think less of yourself because of skin color which puts you at a psychological disadvantage. You think of yourself as inferior to another human being who is exactly like you minus skin tone. Once people can get over this mental hurdle, we can start to see real progression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 06:42 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
I don’t understand this mentality. You think less of yourself because of skin color which puts you at a psychological disadvantage. You think of yourself as inferior to another human being who is exactly like you minus skin tone. Once people can get over this mental hurdle, we can start to see real progression.
It's a mentality based on experience, if you're not a minority living in a community that's not diverse you won't understand. I've seen white privilege too often in my lifetime. The current state of the US and Long Island is indicative that we as a country have not progressed much. You also have the opposite phenomena , it's called white flight...it goes both ways.

When did I say I thought of myself as inferior? I stated I want to love comfortably and not subjected to discrimination, pretty normal expectations, especially if I'm going to pay so much for a home.

Last edited by nyccs; 06-18-2020 at 06:53 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Long Island, especially Nassau County is not 95 percent white. At least not any more. New Hyde Park, Herricks etc. and that whole area is not diverse either. It's increasingly Indian majority and the school systems are academic pressure cookers. If you are southeast Asian or your kids are partially Southeast Asian, it should be a good fit. New Hyde Park SD has a whole bunch of Indian after school clubs, including language classes, dance, music. Nassau County is crowded and the whole being a minority in an area that isn't diverse ship sailed years ago. Schools are one issue but if you feel out of place shopping in your local stores or your place of worship or community center, just drive a mile or so in either direction until you find your comfort zone.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:50 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Yes less white people, there's no secret to be had so why bother with your post?

I'm a minority and my kids are interracial, I want to be feel comfortable and my kids to be comfortable in my own neighborhood. I don't want to be pulled over while driving, stared down in public for no reason or followed inside a store because I don't look like the rest of the neighborhood. Also want my kids raised in a diverse neighborhood like the real world...a neighborhood should not be 95% white like most of Long Island and that's the reality.
The ethnic composition of the population of New Hyde Park, NY is composed of 4.32k White Alone residents (43.6%), 3.22k Asian Alone residents (32.5%), 1.99k Hispanic or Latino residents (20.1%), 197 Two or More Races residents (1.99%), 84 Black or African American Alone residents (0.848%), 47 Native Hawaiian & Other ...

Old 06-18-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Long Island, especially Nassau County is not 95 percent white. At least not any more. New Hyde Park, Herricks etc. and that whole area is not diverse either. It's increasingly Indian majority and the school systems are academic pressure cookers. If you are southeast Asian or your kids are partially Southeast Asian, it should be a good fit. New Hyde Park SD has a whole bunch of Indian after school clubs, including language classes, dance, music. Nassau County is crowded and the whole being a minority in an area that isn't diverse ship sailed years ago. Schools are one issue but if you feel out of place shopping in your local stores or your place of worship or community center, just drive a mile or so in either direction until you find your comfort zone.
Most of the LI nabes are very segregated and majority white and by wide margin. The "diverse" nabes (Valley Stream, NHP, Baldwin, Brentwood, Freeport, Hempstead, Roosevelt) make the actual demographics look less segregated than it actually is if you're just looking at Nassau and Suffolk as a whole. The towns you mentioned are the ones I'm considering in NHP and Herricks, my post was asking about any specific section in NHP which would check off my large house and lot size requirement. The Queens guy poster took this thread off topic.

After my research, I like Herricks, Roslyn Heights and Manhasset Hills.

Last edited by nyccs; 06-18-2020 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 11:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Most of the LI nabes are very segregated and majority white and by wide margin. The "diverse" nabes (Valley Stream, NHP, Baldwin, Brentwood, Freeport, Hempstead, Roosevelt) make the actual demographics look less segregated than it actually is if you're just looking at Nassau and Suffolk as a whole. The towns you mentioned are the ones I'm considering in NHP and Herricks, my post was asking about any specific section in NHP which would check off my large house and lot size requirement. The Queens guy poster took this thread off topic.

Your main issue will be lots of capes in NHP they won’t be big enough and will be on 50-60x100. The dormered capes will be out of your budget. Ranches aren’t big enough, colonials are to much $$. You will find something I think you will have a hard time with your budget due to the lot size.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:00 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:

Don Imus used to have a comedy routine where he would list a bunch of things and say which one doesn’t belong and why. You wrote:

Quote:
The "diverse" nabes (Valley Stream, NHP, Baldwin, Brentwood, Freeport, Hempstead, Roosevelt)
That’s probably the first time anyone put New Hyde Park in the same category as those other neighborhoods.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Don Imus used to have a comedy routine where he would list a bunch of things and say which one doesn’t belong and why. You wrote:

That’s probably the first time anyone put New Hyde Park in the same category as those other neighborhoods.
This is pretty diverse...

The ethnic composition of the population of New Hyde Park, NY is composed of 4.32k White Alone residents (43.6%), 3.22k Asian Alone residents (32.5%), 1.99k Hispanic or Latino residents (20.1%), 197 Two or More Races residents (1.99%), 84 Black or African American Alone residents (0.848%), 47 Native Hawaiian & Other ...

Old 06-19-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
You like Manhasset Hills? Better take a drive and check it out then. Lots and lots...and, quite possibly, mostly....hold on, get ready, prepare....WHITE PEOPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Oh no!

Again, diversity sometimes is = racist code for I hate too many white people.
Take your own advice, I've driven in the area numerous times in the past year. Looking for diversity in my home neighborhood has nothing to do with racism for me so you can take off your rose colored glasses and start thinking outside your square box because your perception of diversity is completely off. The opposite can be viewed as racist if you choose to live with just your own race because you don't want to around the others. Works both ways, that's the reason behind white flight.

The population of Manhasset Hills, NY is 44.7% White Alone, 42.9% Asian Alone, and 11% Hispanic or Latino. N/A% of the people in Manhasset Hills, NY speak a non-English language, and 93.5% are U.S. citizens. The median property value in Manhasset Hills, NY is $835,000, and the homeownership rate is 98.2%.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Your main issue will be lots of capes in NHP they won’t be big enough and will be on 50-60x100. The dormered capes will be out of your budget. Ranches aren’t big enough, colonials are to much $$. You will find something I think you will have a hard time with your budget due to the lot size.
It's possible, although my budget now would be touching the low end of available housing.... prices may go down further in the next 1-2 years due to Covid and the staggering economy, here are a few I have seen...

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-62575?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-89754?view=qv

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...31099496_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...31098606_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...31098517_zpid/

Last edited by nyccs; 06-19-2020 at 05:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island