Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 07:19 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Just a couple of things to get straight: It's "in to the city." And you live "on" Long Island. So, this is how some of your convo's can go..."Hey bro, I'm headed in to the city tonight to meet some chicks." Once you're in the city you can say to the chick "I live on Long Island and I'm headed back out there now and you're more than welcome to come home with me."

Now on to your problem: You're screwed. Pre covid I'd have a long list of shennanigans and places for a 27 yr old dude to check out but life in NYC and thereabouts may never return to normal. If you're looking for chicks, you really need to go online. Swipe right or something like that the kids do now!

Long Island was an easy place to meet women out by yourself up until the early 2000's before all the nightclubs closed. No one cared if you were solo in a club. Hell, just go and dance with a chick. But LI is now, as you see, a clicky bar scene. Same can be said for Queens and, quite frankly, Manhattan. They all had great clubs of all sorts back in the day (ex: live music, Latin, Greeks, Guidos, super Manhattan chic, etc, etc, etc). They're all mostly gone. To be honest, I'm a 48 yr old dude so my best days are long behind me, so there might be places I'm not aware of but I doubt it. If you really get desperate and want some older cougars my age, you can check out "Aura" in East Meadow or for some Latina spice check out Winners Circle in Westbury. Easy pickins in both places.

Or you could just move back West. I'm moving out there myself, shortly.
if you're looking for women, get yourself a cute white dog, preferably small. Walk the dog through the park. The dog will attract women from age two to ninety two
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 07:46 AM

855 posts, read 450,860 times
I lived on LI as a kid, moved elsewhere for about 20 years and now am back.

Unfortunately, people here are scared to let people into their social circles. LI is the most closed knit place I have ever encountered. People grow up in and create their own little bubbles and have no interest in anything outside of it.

I meet people thru work but my wife has it tougher. Her success so far has been meeting other transplants. Folks who also have moved here from elsewhere are more normal and easier to relate to as they understand what the world is actually like and life doesn't revolve around bagels.

All you need to find is a GF and later, a wife. You'll break into her social circle. And at that point you'll regret it as you'll then see how closed minded and ridiculous most people are around here and you won't be able to relate to them as again, they have no perspective outside their precious little bubble.

And when you have kids you'll meet people thru them.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:55 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
You should have thought about this before you decided to move to Hicksville; there are plenty of better places. Take an oath today to never go into a bar or restaurant that also exists where you used to live.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:12 AM

20 posts, read 12,041 times
Li-kick.com is definitely where you should look.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:17 PM

57 posts, read 46,698 times
Transplant or not, I feel like once you’re out and about beginning your career, and age 25 and up, it only gets harder to make genuine friends/make way into established friend groups outside of work. It’s an odd age because you are no longer in school/college, where its much easier to meet people, but you also probably don’t have kids, so that might exclude you from those newer, developing social circles.

The club scene that others have mentioned, which had a presence through the early 2000’s, was a bit more fluid/open when it came to meeting new people than the craft bars/beer gardens/cafes etc... that are more prevalent today, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. In fact, there are still some venues like Mulcahy’s in Wantagh, The Bowery and Dark Horse Tavern in RVC, the Nutty Irishman in Farmingdale, among others in places like Babylon, Bay Shore, and Patchogue. Long Island towns with active and lively “main streets” filled with small businesses and great parks/activities are where you want to gravitate towards. Now COVID has made even those prospects seemingly more difficult, but maybe once there is a vaccine and the pandemic has subsided, there might be such a pent-up demand for larger scale social events that clubs could make a comeback, or people simply might just be more open to new friendships in general. The city might be easier to make some connections, nearby places like Brooklyn and Queens, simply because of sheer volume and diversity of people. In the meantime, apps such as Bumble BFF might be a good place to start to make some initial acquaintances. https://bumble.com/help/what-is-bumble-bff

Volunteering with an organization for a cause that you are passionate about could be another great way to connect with those sharing similar interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island