Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 12:51 AM

565 posts, read 365,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby325 View Post
Hello- I am looking for a starter home for around $500-600K in Nassau county with trains into Penn in less than 45 minutes. A good school district would be ideal however I understand this may not be possible. My spouse and I are planning to start a family this year so we have time to move down the line if we can’t land in a good school district now. Some potential towns I’ve identified so far in our budget are:
- Rockville Centre
- Lynbrook
- Hewlett
- Woodmere
- Port Washington
- Mineola
- New Hyde Park (Herricks SD)

I would appreciate any thoughts on the list above!
I'd only consider PW and NHP from above, but you probably won't get a house in that price range. The other towns are way to close to hoods for my liking.

Now, what I can tell you as a "Queensguy" with a ton of friends who've moved to LI, is a town like Plainview and/or Bethpage is right in your price range and are lovely family friendly communities full of soccer moms/dads...and not too close to any hood!!!

Check it out. Plainview. Exit 46 off the LIE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 07:42 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,898,768 times
You would have to be a major sheltered snowflake to feel any concern of danger in any of the towns listed in the OP. Of the areas listed only Lynbrook and Mineola will offer you anything worth living in. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:03 AM

2,695 posts, read 2,353,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
I'd only consider PW and NHP from above, but you probably won't get a house in that price range. The other towns are way to close to hoods for my liking.

Now, what I can tell you as a "Queensguy" with a ton of friends who've moved to LI, is a town like Plainview and/or Bethpage is right in your price range and are lovely family friendly communities full of soccer moms/dads...and not too close to any hood!!!

I sold my 1800 sq ft home in plainview in early 2018 for close to 700k, prices have only gone up. 500k is tear down territory now. 600k you can find something but its limited to ranches, capes and the smaller 1400 sq ft splits w/o a real basement.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:49 AM

487 posts, read 1,378,875 times
You might want to consider Oceanside. There are some very nice parts and the district is considered to be a good one. I personally would consider the northern part of town in the "terrace" area. This encompasses streets close to Mount Sinai South Nassau hospital and stretches to the Baldwin border. There are also some nice homes between Merrick & Sunrise that border Rockville Centre.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 6,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post

Plainview definitely seems like a good option but wondering if it could still work. Seems like its property taxes are a lot higher than my other options.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:34 PM

81 posts, read 68,821 times
Quote:
Plainview definitely seems like a good option but wondering if it could still work. Seems like its property taxes are a lot higher than my other options.
Try Old Bethpage, a little cheaper and same school district

Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 AM

22,730 posts, read 36,962,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
You would have to be a major sheltered snowflake to feel any concern of danger in any of the towns listed in the OP. Of the areas listed only Lynbrook and Mineola will offer you anything worth living in. Good luck.
Seriously LOL.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:44 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,934,122 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassaucounty28 View Post
Try Old Bethpage, a little cheaper and same school district
Yes, there are a couple with $12k taxes for a $600k house. For the OP, it always goes up every year... don't you worry.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:18 AM

151 posts, read 131,237 times
Long Beach and Island Park are options if you don't mind 5 minute longer train trip.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:26 AM

34,222 posts, read 47,552,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Long Beach and Island Park are options if you don't mind 5 minute longer train trip.
Long Beach is out of OP's budget unless he's buying in an apartment building.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island