Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 06:56 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
In what way would parents be at risk of being "canceled' by their peers for sending their children to Catholic schools? This isn't true even in the most oppressively liberal parts of New York.
Agreed. My local district is in direct competition with Kellenberg and Chaminade, at least in the board's minds. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 10:58 AM

304 posts, read 160,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
when I went to catholic high school my bus was provided by my home school district. And, if I recall correctly, my textbooks came from my district as well. So...thanks!
Mine was too, and looking back i don't think the districts should be forced to accommodate.

For example, I also recall my high school saying they "believed" their finals were tougher than the NYS Regents exams so they did not have students take them and we had to take their version of the finals and because of "religious schools" we didn't have too...which also meant if you transferred back to public schools after 9th or 10th grade no regents diploma which could effect college placement.

I bring this up for 2 reasons...one, how convenient that when they want their way magically separation of church and state exist.

Bu also they shouldn't get the option to pick and choose..give us books and transportation but we are superior to your test.

Someone mentioned something about a tax increase if these schools closed, maybe if the districts weren't forced to use resources to accommodate a school that wants to be separate they would have some extra money

Old 03-25-2021, 11:00 AM

304 posts, read 160,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
In what way would parents be at risk of being "canceled' by their peers for sending their children to Catholic schools? This isn't true even in the most oppressively liberal parts of New York.
This is true but if you ever went to one of those schools they like to play the game of "we are victims"

Old 03-25-2021, 02:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 563,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Mine was too, and looking back i don't think the districts should be forced to accommodate.

For example, I also recall my high school saying they "believed" their finals were tougher than the NYS Regents exams so they did not have students take them and we had to take their version of the finals and because of "religious schools" we didn't have too...which also meant if you transferred back to public schools after 9th or 10th grade no regents diploma which could effect college placement.

I bring this up for 2 reasons...one, how convenient that when they want their way magically separation of church and state exist.

Bu also they shouldn't get the option to pick and choose..give us books and transportation but we are superior to your test.

Someone mentioned something about a tax increase if these schools closed, maybe if the districts weren't forced to use resources to accommodate a school that wants to be separate they would have some extra money
It doesn't work that way. Schools are legally required required provide resources for every student of the district, for exactly the scenario you posed where a student withdraws from the private school. Those regulations are also in place for other situations, such as transporting a student in need of services to another district which provides them. If the school district in question doesn't provide an actual service in house, they still must cover the cost and transport.

In the case of the Regents exams... if you're referring to the two schools I believe you are, you were never prevented from taking the exams. They are required to be offered. If you failed the Regents, you also would have failed the course... and if you failed the Regents, it means you probably would have failed that course anyway outside of the exam.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:54 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
We could pay for a good chunk of it just by taking back the transportation, books and software the public districts have to provide to the parochial students who live in the district. Millions. It's fair because the parents pay their school taxes and separate tuitions but I'm just saying the money is out there.

The parochials would do best to stop being rapey and racist. When I was coaching basketball at a local church league, had to take the Virtus trainings regularly. The legal pennance for decades of rape and bad behavior. They can't put that genie back in the bottle.
Doubtful. According to the Private school review of March 5, 2021, between Nassau 39,510 and Suffolk 17,783 students that totals 57,293 in private schools.

Using 23 as an average class size (which is higher than a lot of LI schools) that would mean we would need to hire just under 2500 new teachers. While the transportation bottom line might safe a few dollars in gas and wear and tear, a percentage of those students would still require transportation. They will still need books and computers etc., not to mention the quandary of where to put them. I think it would be a much larger nut than they are currently outlaying all things considered.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:18 PM

82 posts, read 40,114 times
Quote:
We could pay for a good chunk of it just by taking back the transportation, books and software the public districts have to provide to the parochial students who live in the district. Millions. It's fair because the parents pay their school taxes and separate tuitions but I'm just saying the money is out there.

The parochials would do best to stop being rapey and racist. When I was coaching basketball at a local church league, had to take the Virtus trainings regularly. The legal pennance for decades of rape and bad behavior. They can't put that genie back in the bottle.
Private school students already contribute far more to public school districts (via property taxes) than they receive in return. They're essentially free money for the districts, so I'm not sure this sort of thing would be supported by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post

::snip::

Again, private school parents are already paying for those resources. Public schools, not private schools, are very clearly on the receiving end of the bargain here.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:32 PM

2,448 posts, read 1,223,349 times
Doesn't the Lottery pay for the schools?

Old 03-25-2021, 04:44 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:

Question why do the local districts have to provide this? I had no idea. Shouldn’t they have to provide these things themselves?

Old 03-25-2021, 04:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Question why do the local districts have to provide this? I had no idea. Shouldn’t they have to provide these things themselves?
monstermagnet already explained it - even if you're paying catholic school tuition you're still paying school taxes to you're home district. It doesn't seem all that unreasonable that those kids get *something* for their money. After all, it's a net positive for the district.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:04 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
They are provided under a "child benefit" segment, meaning no religion or religious institution directly benefits but rather the child does. This has repeatedly been challenged and upheld.

Once again, it comes down to the public school is not harmed in any way because the homeowner has to pay their school taxes as well as their preferred private or parochial tuition. I have outlined in several posts above that the dollars and sense of actual cost to districts far outweighs the option of closing the non public schools and having to absorb them into the public system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island