Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 01:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,770 times

Advertisements

Hoping your input can help our family decide—We are looking to move to a new community. We’d like someplace that is close to a town/village so that we can walk to shops and parks. We value diversity and are comfortable with schools that rate low on Great Schools so long as they are safe and reasonably well-resourced. We think a house near either Oyster Bay or Huntington villages would fit the bill. Thoughts? Which would be best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 01:45 AM

557 posts, read 297,552 times
Don't sure you are going to find a huge amount of diversity in the downtown villages of Oyster Bay or Huntington.
Other than that, I have lived in both and found them to be very similar as far as shops and parks.

You should probably widen your filter. Oyster Bay makes more sense if your commute is westward. Huntington if commuting eastward.

Oyster Bay and westward, there is just more "stuff" as in coliseums, college sports, museums.
Huntington, and eastward, gets to be more suburban.

The Town of Oyster Bay has 7 beaches, some a bit of a hike but a scenic hike.
The Town of Huntington has 8 beaches, some close by, some a hike.

Oyster Bay is in Nassau, which has higher taxes than Suffolk.

I felt more connected to things in Oyster Bay and the things to do in the wider area were more varied. But they attracted a lot more people.

Huntington always felt like suburbia. The events and activities 'mainly' attracted locals. Not as mainly Queens and Nassau residents look to hike all the way out to Huntington, so things didn't feel as crowded.

Overall, I enjoyed living in both.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 AM

1,037 posts, read 435,522 times
Theodore Roosevelt is buried in Oyster Bay, FYI also.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:26 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Oyster Bay and Huntington Schools are certainly diverse with the Oyster Bay School District being considerably smaller. Both districts have their very wealthy areas near the water (think Huntington Bay and Oyster Bay Cove), their very poor areas, and the in between.

The Oyster Bay downtown area has a much smaller number of thriving businesses, seems to have more vacancies and eyesores, and can seem a bit sketchy later at night. (More so than Huntington Village, IMHO). Actually, OB has very few shops. Huntington Village really comes to life at night with at least 20 restaurants. Neither is particularly charming.

OB’s waterfront area (oddly, no restaurants at all on the water) has been greatly improved over the last 10 years or so and is certainly walkable from downtown. The train station is also walkable from downtown (the line isn’t the greatest so the commuters I know in OB drive to Syosset).

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 06-08-2021 at 03:37 AM..

Old 06-08-2021, 05:19 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Don't sure you are going to find a huge amount of diversity in the downtown villages of Oyster Bay or Huntington.
Other than that, I have lived in both and found them to be very similar as far as shops and parks.

You should probably widen your filter. Oyster Bay makes more sense if your commute is westward. Huntington if commuting eastward.

Oyster Bay and westward, there is just more "stuff" as in coliseums, college sports, museums.
Huntington, and eastward, gets to be more suburban.

The Town of Oyster Bay has 7 beaches, some a bit of a hike but a scenic hike.
The Town of Huntington has 8 beaches, some close by, some a hike.

Oyster Bay is in Nassau, which has higher taxes than Suffolk.

I felt more connected to things in Oyster Bay and the things to do in the wider area were more varied. But they attracted a lot more people.

Huntington always felt like suburbia. The events and activities 'mainly' attracted locals. Not as mainly Queens and Nassau residents look to hike all the way out to Huntington, so things didn't feel as crowded.

Overall, I enjoyed living in both.
I can’t disagree more with this post. Huntington has way more to offer as far as arts programming (Paramount, Cinema Arts, Heckscher Park) and Oyster Bay is no less of hike when you’re talking about getting to a highway to go somewhere.

Walkability is going to be subjective. As kids we walked to the “village” of Huntington all the time but it was uphill all the way home. The West Neck area is probably most walkable. Unless you’re talking about parking your car and walking around.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:44 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Just to add to my school district comment, I have noticed a substantial portion of both Huntington and OB school district residents opt for Catholic/Private schools.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 06-08-2021 at 05:53 AM..

Old 06-09-2021, 06:05 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
If your commute is to the west via LIRR, Huntington has electrified service while OB is diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island