Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 44,988 times

Advertisements

I know my other posts were about areas like Garden City and Port Washington, but we are also looking at places a bit further out. Cold Spring Harbor got on our radar after we found out that it has a direct express train to Penn Station, stopping only in Syosset. One of us works in the city while the other works (nearly) full-time remotely.

Are there other people that used the CSH station for a daily commute to Manhattan?

1. Are the trains and schedules generally reliable from that station?
2. Does the parking lot fill up very early or can you get a spot even if you show up after 8 am?
3. Are there good full-day daycares/preschools that cater to working parents' schedules? (not just nurseries and preschools that close at 2 pm or earlier). Are there waiting lists for these?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 11:10 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,247 times
1. yes
2. no
3. Huntington has more options, and it's only the next town

Old 07-03-2021, 12:21 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
2. Note that the express starts in Huntington so it is already fairly full when it gets to CSH. After 7am parking fills up, and after 8am good luck.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:15 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Hell of a commute for anything less than $150k a year.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Hell of a commute for anything less than $150k a year.
Doubtful your buying a home in CSH making less than 300k combined.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:43 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeAt-127.0.0.1 View Post
I know my other posts were about areas like Garden City and Port Washington, but we are also looking at places a bit further out. Cold Spring Harbor got on our radar after we found out that it has a direct express train to Penn Station, stopping only in Syosset. One of us works in the city while the other works (nearly) full-time remotely.

Are there other people that used the CSH station for a daily commute to Manhattan?

1. Are the trains and schedules generally reliable from that station?
2. Does the parking lot fill up very early or can you get a spot even if you show up after 8 am?
3. Are there good full-day daycares/preschools that cater to working parents' schedules? (not just nurseries and preschools that close at 2 pm or earlier). Are there waiting lists for these?

Thank you!
1. I commuted from that station for close to 20 years and getting a seat was no problem, unless the train was short a few cars (rare then); Syosset is another story - often not enough seats then. The CSH train station was five minutes from my house - very convenient! (I no longer commute.)

2. Ever since they expanded the parking lot, parking has gotten easier, but after 8:00am could still be an issue, depending on the possibly lasting work-from-home effects due to the pandemic. A lot has changed since the effects of the pandemic; many companies don't require full-time NYC attendance from their employees anymore, especially on the executive level.

3. Don't know of any in CSH, definitely easier in Huntington.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:34 AM

185 posts, read 110,034 times
I did a similar commute for a couple of years out of college. It is soul sucking. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you had to do it only 2 times per week.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:19 AM

63 posts, read 70,534 times
- It would be debilitating if you had to do it five times a week. It would crush you before too long. As stated by another poster, two days a week would be doable. Maybe even three, for a while. Also, most trains don’t stop in just Syosset. It’s far more likely you’d end up on one that stopped at every station on the line. It would be difficult to consistently time your commute to coincide with the express train.
- Parking started to get difficult around 8 in pre-pandemic times, but the true state of this situation won’t be known until after Labor Day, when workplaces and schools have finalized their in-person protocols. My guess is that you would find a spot, but far in the back.
- No all-day day care in CSH, as far as I know. There really isn’t a need, as most moms are at-home. Huntington has several, including one on East Main St. that provides well-regarded care from early am through the dinner hour. It’s not cheap, though, and you would need to factor this into your housing costs. You also have to realize that traveling from CSH to Huntington and back would add time to your commute - probably about 20 minutes each way, considering traffic and the time it would take to unload/load the children and their things. Each way, you’d be heading in the opposite direction of where you want to go and backtracking. Syosset is in the other direction and must have child care centers — it’s also one station closer to NYC. There too, you’d have to contend with things like parking and high care costs.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:29 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Don't do it. I know the CSH area is very attractive with great schools to boot. But as others have mentioned, the train service is awful. I don't know if the pandemic passenger rout is still in effect, though I'm sure the LIRR want's the FEDs to think so, the trains out of Huntington are usually packed and ridiculously so on the return trips at night. Despite one of the posts on your thread, trains are often delayed, short a car or two or three and filthy.

Maybe you'll be fine dealing with this soul-sucking commute for the first three months, maybe the first six. But soon you'll be as angry as your fellow commuters and that's not a good thing. Do a search on twitter and you'll find all sorts of topics about the LIRR dysfunction, disgusting fellow commuters and the abyss the Suffolk to Penn Station commute is.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is based on this former-commuter's experience over 30 years of doing this commute. Your experience may or may not be very different.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:42 AM

38 posts, read 30,411 times
I live in the area and just started going back to the office a couple of times a week. The express trains are fine. If you have flexibility with work, I would catch the 7:15 am express that gets you in at 8:10 am. Then preferably, you can catch the 4:19 pm express home. Pre-COVID, there were usual LIRR issues, but the Huntington/Port Jeff line has enough express trains that don’t stop at Jamaica that it truly is only an hour train ride to CSH.

In regards to the area, Compared to Nassau, the quality of life in north western Suffolk is tremendous. Nature. Can drive into the city on a weeknight or weekend in less than a hour. Be out east to the north or south fork in an hour and 15 mins. Tons of parks. However, you’re close enough to 110, nassau, and Jericho that you still have access to everything you need.

The main drawback to CSH is the housing stock is hit or miss. Lots of gut/Renos out there.

The childcare issue is a problem. CSH has limited options there. However, that is something that is a problem anywhere you live. Kids do grow up, which so many homeowners forget. Obviously, today you have childcare needs, but tomorrow they may be very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island