Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 09:45 PM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Son is attending Brooklyn Tech. I had originally posted this in NYC forum, but I think it's more appropriate here. Here are some details and parameters, TIA for your help:

1. Rental budget is around 3500, could be more but would prefer not to go over. 2 br is ok, 3 br is much better, but that falls under no ***** Sherlock, right?

2. I can work from home.

3. Buying budget is that 700-850k range. My preference is to buy immediately. Wife's preference is new build, so may already be in trouble there.

4. The family dynamics is very interesting. He lives with my ex, but I have a feeling one day he may want to live with me again, or at least I want that to be a possibility.

5. We are/were looking at Jersey, Connecticut and Westchester. Even, KoP in Pennsylvania was a possibility but when he got into Brooklyn Tech, I thought that would shift our search to Long Island. I'm going to assume a commute from northern Jersey to Brooklyn Tech is pretty daunting and unreasonable?

6. I have a 6 year old daughter, so her schooling is important as well.

7. I do not want my son to have to transfer to another high school. That would be a last resort.

8. We're an Asian family so we'd like to be in a place that has at least some Asians? Heard that may be Oyster Bay or New Hempstead?

9. I don't have to necessarily be within walking distance of train station. No issues driving to LIRR and having him jump on train there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 10:04 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Hi all,

Son is attending Brooklyn Tech. I had originally posted this in NYC forum, but I think it's more appropriate here. Here are some details and parameters, TIA for your help:

1. Rental budget is around 3500, could be more but would prefer not to go over. 2 br is ok, 3 br is much better, but that falls under no ***** Sherlock, right?

2. I can work from home.

3. Buying budget is that 700-850k range. My preference is to buy immediately. Wife's preference is new build, so may already be in trouble there.

4. The family dynamics is very interesting. He lives with my ex, but I have a feeling one day he may want to live with me again, or at least I want that to be a possibility.

5. We are/were looking at Jersey, Connecticut and Westchester. Even, KoP in Pennsylvania was a possibility but when he got into Brooklyn Tech, I thought that would shift our search to Long Island. I'm going to assume a commute from northern Jersey to Brooklyn Tech is pretty daunting and unreasonable?

6. I have a 6 year old daughter, so her schooling is important as well.

7. I do not want my son to have to transfer to another high school. That would be a last resort.

8. We're an Asian family so we'd like to be in a place that has at least some Asians? Heard that may be Oyster Bay or New Hempstead?

9. I don't have to necessarily be within walking distance of train station. No issues driving to LIRR and having him jump on train there.

Thanks.

Areas with decent Asian populations in Nassau include Jericho, Syosset, New Hyde Park, Roslyn (among a few others). All have excellent rated schools but with your budget it may be tough but not impossible in some of those areas (forget new construction). Also take into account the sky high property taxes here.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Rentals might be the better choice for you, especially if you're looking to move soon. New Hyde Park and Syosset currently have a few possible rentals with your budget, depending on how updated you expect them to be.

New build with your budget is not going to happen, sorry.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:51 PM

61 posts, read 33,394 times
hello mate and to your son fellow future alumni,
I graduated from Tech back in 99 or 2000 time flies.

congrats to your son for getting into nyc's finest.
but as an alumni man those 10 flights of stair in between classes and 2 1/2 hr commute (from bayside) wasnt easy. And you have to remember Tech has 5000 kids and about 50kids in a single class.
1 advantage is most are academically inclined.

I just bought a house in syosset, for my 6 3 1yr old children. As a father who went to specialized Hs myself and having lived in the city for 40close yrs of my life I would rather my kids live and go to school in nassau.

I am an Asian myself, and I say this bcuz I went to Tech, if my kids went to Stuy or Hunter or Townsend Harris. I think it would be better for them to stay in the city but for BS or tech.... I think
G neck syosset or even plainview may be a better decision in the long run.

I dont want you to decide over 1 post on internet but speak to your son have really have a thoughtful conversation.

Now back to reality, 800k budget isn't going to land you anything new build, and from your post 3500 rent isn't really going to get you much either in quality.
if you want to buy perhaps better school district would be GN syosset jericho roslyn Manhasset Herrick plainview are the better to best school district and they all have plenty Asians.

being a father myself most of us want better education and future for our children so take your time read the forums, go to open house with your wife so she can see the reality of 700k 800k homes in these aforementioned neighborhoods.

good luck fellow Asian bread winner.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:09 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Thanks all! Looks like I will have to compromise quite a few things but this was expected. I’ll explore the area a bit more. Likely reopen my search to Connecticut and New Jersey as well. At one point I was willing to go as far as Philly but now that’s probably not a good idea. Taxes are. A huge worry as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island