Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 AM

17 posts, read 93,058 times

Advertisements

I'm looking in both school districts for houses.

Anyone able to provide info. on how they match-up?

Here's what I've heard:

-RVC generally stronger academically than Oceanside. More AP and IB classes, smaller class sizes, students seem to gain admission to better colleges;

-Oceanside is good, but not as good as RVC. Larger in size than RVC.

-RVC is HQ of Roman Catholic diocese, but has become more diverse over the past decade but still predominately Catholic;

-Oceanside .. which is a larger area geographically, has seen more of an influx of folks of the Jewish faith, including Orthodox... particularly within certain areas (e.g., the Estates section).

But, that's what I've heard.

Looking for anyone who has intell and can comment on the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 AM

177 posts, read 893,030 times
I grew up in Oceanside and now live in Rockville Centre. Both are great towns with wonderful people and a community minded feel.

We have the best of all worlds. Where our house is located in RVC, we have Oceanside schools. I can't comment on RVC schools but as I attended O'side schools my whole life, I'm a fan of the teachers, programs offered and high standards.

Rockville Centre is an incorporated village (which O'side is not). On the negative side, you can't leave your car out overnight and dealing with the village for permits, etc can be a hassel. But a huge perk is that RVC has it's own utilities, which are more reliable and substantially cheaper. We rarely ever lose power - even during the blackout a few years ago, RVC implemented rolling brownouts so we literally lost power for 30 minutes.

O'side schools, RVC address and utilities - very perfect! Take a look at houses in the Terrace area for finds like this.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM

62 posts, read 226,253 times
I'd say you pretty much have it right, and still can't go wrong, one way or the other. We just moved to RVC about a month ago, and so far just love it here. We had considered Oceanside, but our original realtor actually sort of recommended RVC over Oceanside when it came to schools and incorporated village amenities, even with the drawbacks Sam alluded to above. She personally had an RVC address but Oceanside schools and considered it a drawback for her children -- not sure how much a factor that really is, but it's what she relayed us (maybe to get us to buy a higher-priced RVC listing LOL).

Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 PM

22 posts, read 151,366 times
What kind of rvc amenities? Thinking of moving there, so any benefits or perks if you will, help in my decision.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 AM

62 posts, read 226,253 times
First off, just want to say I'm not putting Oceanside down at all... I think it's a fine community. I also don't want to make 'amenities' an overblown benefit... buit to answer your question shamrock, RVC has it's own police dept and its own independent electric company + water supply (at discounted rates, supposed to be about 40% cheaper electric vs. LIPA rates). We'll be getting our first electric bill this week, I'll be happy to report back. There's a terrific recreational center with gym and other activities for the kids; residents get 'discounted' parking permits for I think $105 annually... small, perhaps, but definitely nice additions to a terrific community. It's been a great choice for us; feel free to post or PM with any questions if I can help.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM

40 posts, read 196,292 times
I also live in the incorporated village of RVC but am zoned for Oceanside schools. Funny depending on who you talk to you get different stories about schools. The fact of the matter is both districts are great. Some say RVC is best through Junior High then O'side has better opportunities. I think kids will do great in either district. O'side is bigger but they have amazing programs. I would be just a tad concerned about RVC because the town just approved a 349-unit luxury condo unit to be built which is estimated to bring close to 1000 kids into the district but not with the same school tax load that people in houses pay. But who knows...the number seems off to me.

I love having RVC electric...the rates are cheaper than LIPA and we were a shining beacon of light during the blackout a few years back! The police, in my opinion, don't do much policing but it's still nice to know they are there...somewhere. The downtown is nice and the train into NYC is easy. Parking sucks. The Rec center is a great perk to the town.

Oceanside has lots of shopping (meaning less trips to the horror that is the mall) and is close to the beach! (not that RVC is far!). And the best, we have Trader Joe's! (kidding..sort of).

Good luck! Either choice would be good.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:44 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,396 times
I don't think you'd get 1000 kids from one condo development--that would mean an average of 2.5 kids per unit, which is high for condos... and condos usually pay a fair bit in taxes. I know that when my parents were looking they were shocked at how high the taxes were for condos (they were looking in the Syosset-Woodbury area though).

Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 AM

40 posts, read 196,292 times
Yeah, I don't think they can get 1000 kids either but that's what they are estimating. Maybe they have to use that number as worst case scenario. The whole development scares me with the parking situation and trains already so crowded. Everyone fought it but of course I am sure someone got a nice amount of $ under the table and it was approved. The taxes are high anywhere, but they won't pay what a house pays. Probably $7000 vs. $12,000.

To the OP original question, both towns are a good places to live.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Rockville Centre

For those who may not be familiar with Rockville Centre:

Originally called Near Rockaway, Rockville Centre is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the center of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Rockville Centre in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Lakeview and the Hamlet of South Hempstead; on the east by the Hamlet of South Hempstead and the Hamlet of Baldwin; on the south by the Hamlet of Oceanside; and, on the west by the Village of East Rockaway, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Rockville-centre-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Village of Rockville Centre has a different border than does the "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address and not be in the Village of Rockville Centre): places that have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address that are not in the Village of Rockville Centre are in the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside

For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside:

Oceanside is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the south part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Oceanside in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Rockville Centre; on the east by the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor; on the south by the Hamlet of Barnum Island; and, on the west by the Village of Hewlett Bay Park and the Village of East Rockaway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Oceanside-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Oceanside has a different border than does the "Oceanside, NY 11572" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and a place can be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and have other than an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address): there are places in the Hamlet of Oceanside that have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island