Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times

Advertisements

True. But why doesnt NYC have 3 schools in the top 15? More people and more schools, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
You do have to factor in that Texas has roughly 1920 high schools to New York's 800 and that their population is 20% larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
True. But why doesnt NYC have 3 schools in the top 15? More people and more schools, no?
True but you can't compare NYC schools with Long Island schools........the city, for the most part, is a mess in education.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Two things that surprised me...

1. I would have expected Garden City schools to be higher on the list.

2. I am surprised that Huntington HS is higher on the list than Walt Whitman HS. I've always been told that Walt Whitman is considerably better in every way than Huntington.

Interesting...

Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
This list is dopey...

"The Newsweek and Washington Post Challenge Index measures a public high school’s effort to challenge its students. The formula is simple: Divide the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Cambridge tests a school gave by the number of seniors who graduated in May or June. Tests taken by all students, not just seniors, are counted. Magnet or charter schools with SAT combined verbal and math averages higher than 1300, or ACT average scores above 29, are not included, since they do not have enough average students who need a challenge.

The rating is not a measurement of the overall quality of the school but illuminates one factor that many educators consider important."

Old 05-27-2008, 12:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
This list is dopey...

"The Newsweek and Washington Post Challenge Index measures a public high school’s effort to challenge its students. The formula is simple: Divide the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Cambridge tests a school gave by the number of seniors who graduated in May or June. Tests taken by all students, not just seniors, are counted. Magnet or charter schools with SAT combined verbal and math averages higher than 1300, or ACT average scores above 29, are not included, since they do not have enough average students who need a challenge.

The rating is not a measurement of the overall quality of the school but illuminates one factor that many educators consider important."
Even better...wow, a full 101% "of all seniors who have had at least one score on an AP, IB or Cambridge test that would qualify them for college credit."

Impressive.

4 Science/Engineering Magnet Dallas Texas 10.245 50.9 101

Old 05-31-2008, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 10,693 times
Default huntington school

I'm looking in to buy in the huntington area. I've heard that huntington high is stronger academically than walt whitman? what's the consenseus? How about compared to other Schools in neighboring towns?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:31 PM

94 posts, read 294,480 times
where do sayville, connetquot, oakdale, bayport, blupoint schools come in at?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 AM

28 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
FYI:

Kellenberg was taken over by the Marianist brothers in 2000-2001. The school is very different than it used to be. It is considered very desirable now and has wiating lists of over 500 kids.

I was looking at Catholics schools for 1995 for my High School and I would never have picked Kellenberg then. I didn't even consider it. I choose Sacred Heart Academy. If I were going to HS now, Kellenberg would be my 1st choice. It is completley rennovated and under new ownership.
I hate to go around correcting you, but I was doing a search on my old alma mater (Kellenberg), and I keep seeing you make this statement. This is completely incorrect. The Marianists have run Kellenberg since it was founded in 1987, not 2001-2002. I attended from 1995-1999 (which means that we're probably the same age) and anyone who went to Kellenberg knows that the Marianists have run the school since they took over from St. Agnes/Maria Regina. I was also looking for Catholic schools in 1995 and was accepted to Chaminade, Holy Trinity and Kellenberg. You're right that the perception back then was that Kellenberg was 2nd tier after Chaminade/Sacred Heart, but out of the 5 middle school students in my school that chose Kellenberg over Chaminade, not a single one of us regret that decision.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
HA HA.... is there one single list or study that can make everyone happy ?
People will always find a reason to justify why a particular school did not make a list or is ranked so low. I am not saying this is the best list, but I would try to look at more lists like this to form a reasonably educated "internet" opinion.

I read a good book a while ago that said that a group of 100 average people will make the right decision with better accuracy, than a single individual who is above average. From my personal experience I agree with the general concept. So, I would say that if 4 studies out of 5 say that school A is better than school B, its more likely to be true.... ofcourse everyone in favor of school B will try to take one study at a time and try to break it apart to prove how flawed it is !!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,737 times
Wheatley High School in Old Westbury is the best H.S. on li small school 750 students great teachers and rich and respectful students and students that care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island