Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 09:37 PM

14 posts, read 11,195 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, hope everyone doing very well. I was planning to install mini-splits for the entire house and heard that you might need permission from the Town of North Hempstead. Is that true? If I don't go for the permit what kind of problem I might face? What's the process has been for you guys?

I tried getting quotes from big HVAC companies here in New Hyde Park(T.F. O'Brien, AIRMAXLI, Central Air System INC etc) and all of them quoted me 24k range for 6 zone system(Lennox, Fujitsu, Mitshubishi). I found one guy from flushing who installed mini-splits for some of my friends quoted me 12k(Daikin, Mitshubishi). As you can see the price difference is crazy. I think the big companies will take care of any permits but the flushing guy probably won't. So confused, what should I do? Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 06:34 AM

913 posts, read 885,602 times
I can recommend a really good Mitsubishi diamond dealer. Art of A&R Technical https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KL...HTzitQn0MAn84-

He will be able to answer all of your questions and gave us a very good price. I also had ridiculous quotes from some of those you mentioned. Art was one of my good finds in my remodel process.

Feel free to PM me for any questions.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:37 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mra1991 View Post
Hi Guys, hope everyone doing very well. I was planning to install mini-splits for the entire house and heard that you might need permission from the Town of North Hempstead. Is that true? If I don't go for the permit what kind of problem I might face? What's the process has been for you guys?

I tried getting quotes from big HVAC companies here in New Hyde Park(T.F. O'Brien, AIRMAXLI, Central Air System INC etc) and all of them quoted me 24k range for 6 zone system(Lennox, Fujitsu, Mitshubishi). I found one guy from flushing who installed mini-splits for some of my friends quoted me 12k(Daikin, Mitshubishi). As you can see the price difference is crazy. I think the big companies will take care of any permits but the flushing guy probably won't. So confused, what should I do? Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
For 24K, might as well get CAC if possible. That's what I paid in 2019 for 2 zone CAC, 3 ton and 3.5 ton units.

You are installing a lot of mini-splits so I wouldn't use the flushing guy. I'm assuming a decent amount of electrical work will need to be done.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:49 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
The short answer is yes you most definitely will need the permits. Why? Because you will still need an outside unit(s) (compressor) to power the system and there are setback requirements for them. Additionally, you will need electrical work done and that has to be inspected too.

On another front, no one knows how the world situation is going to turn out and also if we will continue to be impacted by the Covid pandemic fallout, so I would ask about the availability of parts currently. While one may not be an accurate predictor of the future it never hurts to ask.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,446 times
Mini splits have their place, but really seems like you should have central air... just from the number of units and the cost. Might be harder, but probably a cleaner interior install.

I don't know what it costs now, for me it was $11K for a 2 unit central air system, but that was 10 years ago and the walls were wide open. permit was gotten due to all the work being done on the house.

I have a mini split in my basement. I don't have a permit for this (I don't think). I got the guy from a friend and he does this on the side from his normal HVAC job.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:17 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
I paid 25k in 2019 for 2 zone central air and forced air heat. 2 condensing units, 2 air handlers, 2 furnaces, 2 heat exchangers. The walls where open so duct work was easy, another 5k if walls where up. This was 15 seer AC, 96% variable speed furnaces. Today this would probably be 32k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island