Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM

335 posts, read 935,448 times

Advertisements

Wall St Journal reported today that Toll Brothers are in the process of slashing their new condo prices in Brooklyn by 25%....thats TWENTY FIVE PERCENT!.

The housing bubble is deflating big-time here finally!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:40 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Default Too bad people have a sense of smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
Wall St Journal reported today that Toll Brothers are in the process of slashing their new condo prices in Brooklyn by 25%....thats TWENTY FIVE PERCENT!.

The housing bubble is deflating big-time here finally!!!
So the people with more money than brains aren't snapping them up quite as fast as they used to. What are you celebrating for? They are still priced beyond reason for apartments in Brooklyn. Especially where the water can be so SMELLY. If I wanted to spend that kind of money in Brooklyn I would choose somewhere else.

New York Prices

The company last week started cutting prices on its condominiums in Brooklyn, New York, by as much as 37 percent to spur sales after its unsold inventory spent two years on the market.

Prices at the eastern tower of the waterfront Northside Piers project in the Williamsburg neighborhood were reduced starting Feb. 3 for all types of apartments.

Toll is now selling two-bedrooms starting at $690,000, down 21 percent from $869,000 at the beginning of last week. Three- bedrooms now start at $860,000, down 20 percent from $1.075 million. Penthouses now cost $950,000, down from $1.5 million.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So the people with more money than brains aren't snapping them up quite as fast as they used to. What are you celebrating for? They are still priced beyond reason for apartments in Brooklyn. Especially where the water can be so SMELLY. If I wanted to spend that kind of money in Brooklyn I would choose somewhere else.

New York Prices

The company last week started cutting prices on its condominiums in Brooklyn, New York, by as much as 37 percent to spur sales after its unsold inventory spent two years on the market.

Prices at the eastern tower of the waterfront Northside Piers project in the Williamsburg neighborhood were reduced starting Feb. 3 for all types of apartments.

Toll is now selling two-bedrooms starting at $690,000, down 21 percent from $869,000 at the beginning of last week. Three- bedrooms now start at $860,000, down 20 percent from $1.075 million. Penthouses now cost $950,000, down from $1.5 million.
They're still asking way too much. 2 bedrooms should be around 450K in this market.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:

New York Prices

You ask "What am I celebrating for???????"

During the "bubble years" young wall streeters who were "priced-out" of manhattan went to brooklyn to buy up the trendy new eco-condos. Well...it is obvious that the combination of Brooklyn drying up and Manhattan finally gasping means that the bubble has finally burst here in Da Big Apple. And the ramifications of this for all of Long Island, Westechester and New Jersey is beyond significant. It means that the buying pool for areas such as Port Washington, Manhasset, Roslyn and all of the other Nassau "commutables" - - as well as West-Chester is disappearing.

Thus, we havent seen nothing yet as far the "Buyers Market" goes......

Old 02-13-2009, 05:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
You ask "What am I celebrating for???????"

During the "bubble years" young wall streeters who were "priced-out" of manhattan went to brooklyn to buy up the trendy new eco-condos. Well...it is obvious that the combination of Brooklyn drying up and Manhattan finally gasping means that the bubble has finally burst here in Da Big Apple. And the ramifications of this for all of Long Island, Westechester and New Jersey is beyond significant. It means that the buying pool for areas such as Port Washington, Manhasset, Roslyn and all of the other Nassau "commutables" - - as well as West-Chester is disappearing.

Thus, we havent seen nothing yet as far the "Buyers Market" goes......
I see ... you are looking towards the future. You really think Manhattan is gasping? I just see it becoming more and more geared towards the uber-wealthy.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I agree. We started a 14 floor condo bldg. in the Village in 2005. Needless to say the project finished way over schedule. From 2006 to now the prices dropped 35%.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They're still asking way too much. 2 bedrooms should be around 450K in this market.
I'm sorry, I still get a little confused when people talk about what something "should" be worth. I always thought that something is worht what someeone is willing to buy for and someone is willing to sell for.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I see ... you are looking towards the future. You really think Manhattan is gasping? I just see it becoming more and more geared towards the uber-wealthy.
By April Manhattan could very well be on "life support"...or so I have been told by a realtor in a very large manhattan brokerage...please see my post a few days ago on this board....

Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 PM

17 posts, read 31,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I'm sorry, I still get a little confused when people talk about what something "should" be worth. I always thought that something is worht what someeone is willing to buy for and someone is willing to sell for.
There seems to be no shortage of confused Realtors these days. They still believe housing prices double every 10 years and its always a 'great time to buy.'

People overpay for things and get ripped off every day - housing is no different. Just because someone is willing to pay $1,000,000 for a piece of poo, I'd argue they paid way too much for that piece of poo and its certainly not now worth $1,000,000. Problem is, they might make a terrible decision and pay dearly for it, so why not try to help them see through the bull...poo

I too am celebrating, the bubble has finally BEGUN to burst. Save cash & sit tight, we still have a ways to go!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBB View Post
There seems to be no shortage of confused Realtors these days. They still believe housing prices double every 10 years and its always a 'great time to buy.'

People overpay for things and get ripped off every day - housing is no different. Just because someone is willing to pay $1,000,000 for a piece of poo, I'd argue they paid way too much for that piece of poo and its certainly not now worth $1,000,000. Problem is, they might make a terrible decision and pay dearly for it, so why not try to help them see through the bull...poo

I too am celebrating, the bubble has finally BEGUN to burst. Save cash & sit tight, we still have a ways to go!
Man, you sound like LIBubble!

Anyway, check out an article in this weekend's WSJ: Peggy Noonan's column talks about how "quiet" it is right now in Manhattan - - I live there and I havent really noticed, but I can tell you there are TONS of layoffs and the little kids who were working on Wall St making $250k are out of work and perhaps-- finally -- out of town. This will have significant ramifications for housing and rent pricing in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Nassau, Westchester and Jersey over the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island