Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 09:20 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
It’s never the same outcome for anyone on LI with these storms.

Hurricane Sandy I lost power for about 1 1/2 days. That was the extent of it. Then Tropical storm Irene my basement flooded. Never know what you’re going to get.
Yep my power was back on within 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 12:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Bud Light!
I’d go with Heineken.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:40 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
When I was growing up on Strongs Neck we had two or three hurricanes every year
(this was the fifties) . We would lose power for around five days and the water
would be out (I am not sure why.) We kids thought it was great fun because we
cooked all our meals outside and we pretended that we lived in the 1890s.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-04-2023, 08:03 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Pretty rare for a 'Major' Cat3 on Long Island but about 5 on known record I believe, mostly East end tho. Overdue for one historically. Long term average sits at about 1 every 70yrs, but on the East tip Suffolk Co. its about every 50years. Last Cat3 was 1954. But to get a Cat3 with those water temps they have to be booking it up just off the East coast and move from say VA/NC to NY in one day-ish otherwise they'll be weaker level.

Old 07-05-2023, 01:36 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Nor'easters can and often do just as much or worse damage than hurricanes. More so because former tend to hang around longer than latter.

Great Hurricane of 1938 created Shinnecock inlet however 1992 Nor'easter wiped out much if not all dunes of Westhampton. Westhampton Dunes was incorporated in large part so that area would have legal standing to fight with Army Core of Engineers over sand replenishment for Westhampton dunes.

Nasty and bitter lawsuit later feds are on hook at least until 2027 for Westhampton Dunes sand replenishment, after that who knows...

As one might imagine idea of pumping federal dollars into restoration of sand for areas where home values well exceed millions isn't a great use of taxpayer's money.

https://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Missi...hampton-Beach/

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/25/r...nger-lost.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...mate-proofing/

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...ng-sea-levels/

What is clear is climate change, global warming or whatever you want to call it sea levels are rising. Piled on is the potential for frequency of major or even less so storms to pound Long Island's shores. Duane Road and rest are in peril.

Old 07-05-2023, 08:51 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I was at Bigelow's in Rockville Center and saw a Hurricane Evacuation path, similar to one I'd see in Florida.

I know NY/NYC gets hit with hurricanes from time to time, but not to the point where they'd have evacuation routes.

How often does LI get hit with them?
I remember seeing the hurricane evacuation signs in that area as well. I think there are more signs around there because that is one of the routes that people from Long Beach Island, Island Park and I guess parts of Oceanside might use.

But that does not mean that the whole Island would be flooded. The Island is up to 20 miles wide plus the land does start to slope upward pretty quickly toward some hills 200 to 400 feet high. Within a couple of miles from Great South Bay, the land is already 30 feet or more high. For comparison, that is higher than ALL of Miami-Dade or Broward counties in Florida.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:44 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
But that does not mean that the whole Island would be flooded.
True, but that's not saying much given the relative difficulty of exiting LI under duress en masse for the people whose homes are likely to be affected if not even flooded. It's not like they can all head for the hills, let alone stay there.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:06 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
True, but that's not saying much given the relative difficulty of exiting LI under duress en masse for the people whose homes are likely to be affected if not even flooded. It's not like they can all head for the hills, let alone stay there.
Any situation where the entire island would be evacuated for a storm is beyond remote and would likely mean NYC would have to be evacuated too. Not happening.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
why would you have to evacuate if you're not flooded?

And I'm sure some people would be "under duress", but if you're waiting to evacuate a hurricane at the last minute, you really should have your head examined.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:40 AM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
why would you have to evacuate if you're not flooded?
You evacuate in advance of flooding and high winds.

Per FEMA:

Protective Actions. General evacuation guidance: The best action to protect yourself and your family from the flooding and high winds caused by hurricanes is to evacuate when ordered to do so, before those conditions hit your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island