Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 03:30 PM

237 posts, read 249,664 times

Advertisements

Gawking by southbound motorists on the Meadowbrook Parkway slowed me. The cause was a flipped and crushed northbound Walmart tractor trailer. The driver may have entered from westbound NY 27. He may have passed under other bridges, but the Stewart Avenue bridge nailed him in the center lane. As CEO of Walmart, C. Douglas McMillan received "compensation" of $24 million. The unnamed driver presumably earned a bit less. I wonder whether the wrong type of GPS sent him past No Trucks signs and clearance warnings. Time: about 3 p.m. May 8 2024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 10:43 AM

3,539 posts, read 5,730,194 times
And he didnt notice the 8 foot bridge ?

Old 05-09-2024, 11:21 AM

20,189 posts, read 20,975,450 times
I actually witnessed something like this happen on the Northern State around 20 years ago.
Was driving and I see this big box truck merging onto the parkway a little ways ahead of me and I was immediately like “oh damn here we go!”…
Lo and behold at the very next overpass”bang-crunch-crash”.
Dude was in the granny lane, lowest point, basically pulverized the box. When he hit it was like an explosion, just bam! And debris everywhere. Pretty wild.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:25 AM

20,973 posts, read 28,513,963 times
I always wonder about these truckers. Aren't they informed or trained not to drive on certain highways/roadways?
shouldn't they be told which roads they can and cannot drive on in each state?

Old 05-09-2024, 11:56 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,889,867 times
I saw this on the longislandmemes Instagram page lol.

For more hilarity check out this bridge in Durham, NC which has become so infamous it has its own YouTube channel.
https://11foot8.com/

Old 05-09-2024, 11:58 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,889,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I always wonder about these truckers. Aren't they informed or trained not to drive on certain highways/roadways?
shouldn't they be told which roads they can and cannot drive on in each state?
You'd be surprised....how many truckers aren't licensed and/or can't read.

I had a claim once, guy overturned a cement truck entering a highway here in NC. CAlled him up. Do you have an NC license?

Nope

Ever had a license anywhere?

Nope

why were you driving? My company didn't have a driver this morning

So this CEMENT COMPANY put someone who not only isn't licensed to drive a truck but not licensed at all in a cement truck and had him navigate one of the toughest entrance ramps in western Wake County.

They're no longer insured with us.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:09 PM

20,973 posts, read 28,513,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You'd be surprised....how many truckers aren't licensed and/or can't read.

I had a claim once, guy overturned a cement truck entering a highway here in NC. CAlled him up. Do you have an NC license?

Nope

Ever had a license anywhere?

Nope

why were you driving? My company didn't have a driver this morning

So this CEMENT COMPANY put someone who not only isn't licensed to drive a truck but not licensed at all in a cement truck and had him navigate one of the toughest entrance ramps in western Wake County.

They're no longer insured with us.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:27 PM

237 posts, read 249,664 times
One thing I noticed about yesterday's flip on the Meadowbrook: the overturned trailer was almost empty, and the box appeared flimsy. yes, I did not slow down to look, but I checked photos later. Imagine if the trailer was loaded with boxes of cat litter or gallons of liquid soap! Newsday website had photo, but today's print paper ignored it.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:26 PM

17,436 posts, read 22,194,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
Gawking by southbound motorists on the Meadowbrook Parkway slowed me. The cause was a flipped and crushed northbound Walmart tractor trailer. The driver may have entered from westbound NY 27. He may have passed under other bridges, but the Stewart Avenue bridge nailed him in the center lane. As CEO of Walmart, C. Douglas McMillan received "compensation" of $24 million. The unnamed driver presumably earned a bit less. I wonder whether the wrong type of GPS sent him past No Trucks signs and clearance warnings. Time: about 3 p.m. May 8 2024.
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon received $26.9 million in total compensation last fiscal year.

Not sure what that has to do with a truck driver story? Maybe when McMillon was in his MBA program they explained the bridge height issue? Driver probably didn't get that far.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:44 PM

1,495 posts, read 775,614 times
^maybe the post is making a case for minimum wage? Driving a large truck into a very obvious low bridge means he doesn’t deserve ceo pay I think is his arguement ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island