Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM

128 posts, read 323,281 times

Advertisements

Are they popular? Is there a special reason parents would choose to send their children to a catholic school besides religion. The public schools seem to have a lot of offer.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,767,256 times
Some people do not like the liberal agenda that is pervasive in public schools.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
My kids went to catholic school for preschool and I would say that the biggest reasons the people I met there were sending their kids forward (as in, staying for K-8) were that they themselves went to Catholic School and/or they wanted the daily religious aspect in their children's lives. Also, the schools often have more of a family type atmosphere and I think the parents often perceive that they have more control over what goes on in the school (ie requesting teachers, etc).

They are pricey though - aside from the tuition, there's fundraiser (and you have to meet your goal) plus there are always activities like the school play, fairs, etc that you are expected to buy tickets for, plus some schools have a time commitment that you must meet.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,674,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJackie View Post
Are they popular? Is there a special reason parents would choose to send their children to a catholic school besides religion. The public schools seem to have a lot of offer.
Thanks
For elementary school decidedly less popular. It seems one Catholic grade school closes each year. This year it is Corpus Christi in Mineola.

For high school I think they are becoming more popular as admissions to the better colleges gets ever more difficult, parents feel that Chaminade, St. Anthony's, Sacred Heart, etc... have some pull for getting their graduates into the better Catholic universities.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM

496 posts, read 1,252,036 times
my kids go to catholic school, not for the fact that we went to catholic school or for the religious aspect sure it helps, but was not something i had in mind. i made my decision after i toured the public school, and it was not something i wanted my kids to go to. i expected to pay an arm and leg for my kids when i decided catholic school was for us, ended up being pleasantly surprised it was not too much for 2 kids. I do fundraisers that i am interested in, and there are two fundraisers a year that are mandatory. i can afford those two. comparing what kids same grade are learning in public school vs catholic school, i have to say, there is no comparison. so i will continue sending them there for as long as i can afford it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,705,122 times
Any comments on the difference between private and Diocesan Catholic schools?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 AM

416 posts, read 698,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Any comments on the difference between private and Diocesan Catholic schools?
Why? The OP was only asking about Catholic schools.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,705,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Why? The OP was only asking about Catholic schools.
Let me rephrase: Any comments on the difference between private Catholic schools and Diocesan Catholic schools?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
I bounced back and forth between public and Catholic school. My longest consecutive stint in Catholic school was from 2nd to 9th grade. Public 10th, then back to Catholic for 11th, and then finished out in public school.
Pro's and Con's for both.
I think in the end when you weigh everything out, they come out about equal.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,464,032 times
It very much depends on the school district you live in. The general pros for Catholic schools are smaller classrooms/more individual attention, the fact that the kids are wearing uniforms (saves you money in the long run and avoids the "you are NOT wearing that ..." argument); and the biggie - they don't have to keep the kids that cause trouble - they will be expelled. Public schools have a tougher time with that.
Look, full disclosure, I went to 12 years of Catholic school and looking back, I definitely came out ahead of my friends that went to public. But that was in the years where the majority of teachers were nuns who had great educational backgrounds and numerous degrees. Those days are gone for good. The nuns were what made the Catholic school system what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island