Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can ALL towns be classified "North Shore" or " South Shore"?
Yes 11 24.44%
No 34 75.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

Middle of the island! Relatively speaking there are some spots where these roads are closer or further from the shore area. But I hear many people use these as the "boundry" lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
What about the towns in between Sunrise & 25A?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
However I believe to actually be of a 'shore' one's community must be touching a shoreline in some way, shape or form.

North Shore would be north of NSP until the end where it would be north of 347 until the end where it would be north of 25A.

South Shore would be south of SSP until the end where it would be south of Sunrise/27.

Middle Island would be everything sandwiched in between -- like the creme filling in an Oreo cookie.

Nothing is perfect as I am sure a couple of communities along my LI Mason-Dixon Line don't touch water.

Historically speaking (not present day) the middle of the Island was relegated to farming communities while the shore communities where engaged in commerce in the nature of ship building, trading, whaling, fishing. Only later on did the shores become the playgrounds of the affluent.

Quote:
Ok, so if I buy a house in Mt. Sinai, but it is located south of 25A and on what used to be a farm, is that considered North Shore or Middle Island? Technically, the house will be located closer to the water than other houses north of 25A in other communities, since 25A swings northward in those parts. Which township/government official do I send my paper work to to get the official stamp of "North Shore" approval? Do I need to send cash too? Lots of cash? I NEED to get this cleared up before we buy......

(Just in case it wasn't obvious, I am joking around here!)
Never fear Flowergarden -- you're in the clear because Mt Sinai touches the water. But we won't tell anyone you're from the 'wrong side' of 25A.
Just Kidding!

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 07-02-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections
What about the towns in between Sunrise & 25A?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Central Nassau/Suffolk?
Massapequa is on the water but extends over Sunrise northward to the SSP. It would be one of the exceptions to the rule, like Seaford which runs north to somewhere around Jerusalem Ave/135 proximity.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I would agree with the South Shore, but a lot of people consider north of 25 (Jericho) to be N. Shore.
I agree...that is what most people would consider the North Shore.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Ok, so if I buy a house in Mt. Sinai, but it is located south of 25A and on what used to be a farm, is that considered North Shore or Middle Island? Technically, the house will be located closer to the water than other houses north of 25A in other communities, since 25A swings northward in those parts. Which township/government official do I send my paper work to to get the official stamp of "North Shore" approval? Do I need to send cash too? Lots of cash? I NEED to get this cleared up before we buy......

(Just in case it wasn't obvious, I am joking around here!)
Flower,

Please, if you have to ask, well then your not north shore, sorry....lol![/quote]

I think we're onto something here, kb. Sort of like Soupy Sales...we can have all potential newcomers send in money in order to receive their OFFICIAL LONG ISLAND PLACEMENT CERTIFICATE.

For a few extra bucks *cough* I will gladly alter the boundary lines to make someone a denizen of the North Shore.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Traditionally , the North Shore was always North of 25A ( Northern Blvd/ North Country Road ) and the South Shore was South of 27A (Montauk Highway/ Merrick Road ) . To imply that the shores go all the way to Sunrise and Jericho is really a stretch. Those two highways are really not on either shore, except for Sunrise on the East End.

Those are where most , if not all, of the villages are located also.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-02-2008, 03:55 PM

The only argument against that would be in places like Oakdale where Sunrise and 27A are adjacent to one another or in Smithtown where 25 and 25A merge into one on West Main Street before diverging at 111.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Flower,

Please, if you have to ask, well then your not north shore, sorry....lol!

I think we're onto something here, kb. Sort of like Soupy Sales...we can have all potential newcomers send in money in order to receive their OFFICIAL LONG ISLAND PLACEMENT CERTIFICATE.

For a few extra bucks *cough* I will gladly alter the boundary lines to make someone a denizen of the North Shore.[/quote]

Can you say "Cha-ching"?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM

It's the Long Island way.... LOL

Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 PM

335 posts, read 935,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's the Long Island way.... LOL
From a guy who grew up in Bayside:

North Shore = north of the Grand Central Pkwy/Northern State to Nassau Border line. Then - - who cares? I never thought Suffolk divided between the two anyway - -always was a Nassau state of mind

South Shore= Anything South of Grand Central/Northern State - - especially when the Northern State turns in to the Meadowbrook near Old Country Road. South of Roosevelt field always felt like the beginnings of the South Shore to me....with Merrick sealing the deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island