Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can ALL towns be classified "North Shore" or " South Shore"?
Yes 11 24.44%
No 34 75.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I strongly disagree. To begin with these borders of Merrick Rd/Montauk Highway would leave part of Freeport, Merrick, Seaford, Amityville, Lindenhurst, Babylon, Sayville, Bellport etc. on the South Shore and part in the middle of the Island! It would also mean that areas like Valley Stream which are several miles from the water would be South Shore but areas like Brightwaters or the Argyle Lake area in Babylon Village --- where you can see the canal leading to the bay --- are not South Shore?
Freeport, Merrick, Seaford, Amityville, Lindenhurst, Babylong, Sayville, Bellport, et al, would still have the south shore title as they do touch the water, it's just that they stretch north and south of 27A. That would not alter their status.

I don't understand your question concerning Babylon & Brightwaters as some of those communities extend to the water (south 27A) as well. Granted, at some points 27A flirts with the shoreline and the LIRR. In those areas, the LIRR Montauk line makes a reasonable boundary where 27A is adjacent to the canals and creeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I always thought that the North Shore was north of 25A & the South Shore was south of 27 A. Even Old Westbury & Brookville wouldn't qualify for either designation where as both Rocky Point and Mastic Beach would, I guess.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-21-2009, 05:17 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I always thought that the North Shore was north of 25A & the South Shore was south of 27 A. Even Old Westbury & Brookville wouldn't qualify for either designation where as both Rocky Point and Mastic Beach would, I guess.
Thats correct.

Gold Coast is another issue.

Rocky Point is as North Shore it gets, but I do see your point per OP.
Does geography define designation?

I would argue RP has a pretty nice luxury market particularly on Soundview, but who knows.
Its cetainly no Oyster Bay economically, but its not Mastic Beach either.

Im not too sure about the Tri Hamlet area, Shirley has some really nice waterfront homes.

Its all relative.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 06-21-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 PM

21 posts, read 84,953 times
Default Thank you...you got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
I think the poster who brought this thread up again was asking what is the difference b/t North Shore and South Shore. I haven't lived here long enough to have a valuable opinion, however, I've been told that North Shore traditionally equals old money, rocky beaches, horses, sailing and the culture that goes along with those activities. The South Shore equals new money, sandy beaches, motor boats and the culture that goes along with those activities.

I was wondering about the stereotypes, being a Philly guy. guess I'm squarely out of the North Shore culture. Except for the boats, looks like South Shore for me. I do like a water view and walks on the beach however. I also like the cooler climate in summer and the warmer climate in winter, although I will be traveling to Stonybrook for work on Fridays.

That helps. Thank you.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
See ya on Fridays! Stony Brook is my neck of the woods. If you have any questions about local spots, please feel free to ask/dm.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
OK I have one for the "North of 25A/South of 27A" people...

What about Lynbrook and Valley Stream, where Sunrise Highway is actually south of Merrick Road?

How about the 5 Towns area? South Shore or an extension of the Rockaway Peninsula?

BTW I dunno if anybody knew this, but Merrick Road isn't 27A in most of Nassau. "27A" actually starts on Carman Mill Road/Old Sunrise Highway in East Massapequa, and once you continue south and hit Merrick Rd it becomes Montauk Highway/27A as you go east.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
OK I have one for the "North of 25A/South of 27A" people...

What about Lynbrook and Valley Stream, where Sunrise Highway is actually south of Merrick Road?

How about the 5 Towns area? South Shore or an extension of the Rockaway Peninsula?

BTW I dunno if anybody knew this, but Merrick Road isn't 27A in most of Nassau. "27A" actually starts on Carman Mill Road/Old Sunrise Highway in East Massapequa, and once you continue south and hit Merrick Rd it becomes Montauk Highway/27A as you go east.
Im with you.

5 Towns is an Island to itself and most definitely So Shore.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island