Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I looked at a house that I like but the backyard slopes down to the house. Not only am I thinking this could be a problem with rain, but it makes the yard less usable. I am wondering if anyone knows about how much the cost would be for putting in a retaining wall and leveling the yard. I don't know the exact slope but its not tremendous. I'm just looking for a rough estimate to figure into our overall budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Hi,

So I looked at a house that I like but the backyard slopes down to the house. Not only am I thinking this could be a problem with rain, but it makes the yard less usable. I am wondering if anyone knows about how much the cost would be for putting in a retaining wall and leveling the yard. I don't know the exact slope but its not tremendous. I'm just looking for a rough estimate to figure into our overall budget.
How high would the wall be?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
The slope, the size of the yard, the over all area which needs to be graded, the choice of material with which to build the wall(s) all figure into this. Do plants or trees need to be removed? Lots of variables.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM

I'll take a look again this weekend and try to get more details. My first impression was that maybe a three foot wall would do it. There are a bunch of shrubs at the very back edge of the property but I was thinking maybe I would put the wall in front of those and leave that part as is for privacy. If that's feasible.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 AM

FYI, if the wall needs to be greater than 4 feet, it become a real hassle to get done, towns hate retaining walls heigher than that. See if you can send some pics and how wide the property is.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 PM

127 posts, read 613,507 times
If you can get an old survey of the property that would help too as it should show the elevations at various points.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
My property has a big drop off and it does not show up on our surveys. Maybe it depends on the surveyor?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:32 PM

I looked at the house again today. I wasn't sure how to measure the slope exactly but I looked at the house next door which seemed to be set a little lower than the one we were viewing. The house next door had a small retaining wall near the house to create a little patio area. It seemed about 3 feet tall. My DH doesn't even think we would need a retaining wall but I'd like to have the yard be a little more level. At least to have a flat dining area. I did take photos but I have to upload them later.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM

99 posts, read 729,892 times
Karen give me the measurements & ill give you a general idea. Lots of things come into play but i can give you an idea...14 year mason contractor. PM me for further details. Good Luck.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I looked at the house again today. I wasn't sure how to measure the slope exactly but I looked at the house next door which seemed to be set a little lower than the one we were viewing. The house next door had a small retaining wall near the house to create a little patio area. It seemed about 3 feet tall. My DH doesn't even think we would need a retaining wall but I'd like to have the yard be a little more level. At least to have a flat dining area. I did take photos but I have to upload them later.
How long is the wall? 3 feet would be perfect for engineered blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island