Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,441 times

Advertisements

I've searched the boards for an answer to this but can't find the right one.

I recently bought a house with oil heat. I am getting rid of that. I am planning on installing central air conditioning since the house has none. The debate comes with what I should put in for heat.
I have 3 questions:

1 - I want to have forced hot air but should it be gas or electric?

2 - I need hot water in the house but should it be gas or electric?

3 - For the hot water, should it be a tank or tankless?

Since I've yet to be in the house even for a month, I have no clue of the costs of gas and electric. The house is 1700 sq/ft, 2 floors, 4 rooms on the first, 4 rooms on the second. Access to the basement and attic are fine and I am planning on 2 units; attic to feed the 2nd floor, basement to feed the 1st floor. Gas is already in the house feeding the stove and clothes dryer so that's not a problem.

If you already have a type of combination in place that you are happy with and is cost effective, can you post the make/models you have? I will need 2 - 13 Seer units and equivalent heating elements.

Thanks for your help!
-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
1) forced hot air = without a doubt gas. Electric would kill you.
2) If you want to do it right use solar power for your hot water. Check into LIPA's
webpage for details and rebates.
3) If solar doesnt work out- you will have to have a hot water tank. And I would use
gas for that too. Go on LIPA's yearly budget plan.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
We have gas at our house and last year put in central air. It was so easy and not a killer on the bills.

Electric ; we had that at a different house and it gets expensive.

d

Old 07-15-2008, 05:17 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysweet View Post
I've searched the boards for an answer to this but can't find the right one.

I recently bought a house with oil heat. I am getting rid of that. I am planning on installing central air conditioning since the house has none. The debate comes with what I should put in for heat.
I have 3 questions:

1 - I want to have forced hot air but should it be gas or electric?

Electric is not a viable option on LI, must go gas.

2 - I need hot water in the house but should it be gas or electric?

Electric is not a viable option on LI, must go gas.

3 - For the hot water, should it be a tank or tankless?

Well,this is the issue with furnaces (forced hot air), you are limited to a gas hot water heater (not eff.) or a instantanous tankless (eff. but very expensive to install, even more so in a retrofit application. If you do go the expensive route, make sure it is sized properly or you will not be happy. Good Luck!

Since I've yet to be in the house even for a month, I have no clue of the costs of gas and electric. The house is 1700 sq/ft, 2 floors, 4 rooms on the first, 4 rooms on the second. Access to the basement and attic are fine and I am planning on 2 units; attic to feed the 2nd floor, basement to feed the 1st floor. Gas is already in the house feeding the stove and clothes dryer so that's not a problem.

If you already have a type of combination in place that you are happy with and is cost effective, can you post the make/models you have? I will need 2 - 13 Seer units and equivalent heating elements.

Attic install on a furnace too? Think about hot roofing........
Thanks for your help!
-Mike
See my notes above.....

Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Kb knows his stuff.

If you plan on staying in your home, consider adding solar Photovoltaics to you house. LIPA offers rebates and the gov't offers tax breaks. I did it seven years ago and it saves me 22% of my electric bill. This year is my payback year.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Kb knows his stuff.

If you plan on staying in your home, consider adding solar Photovoltaics to you house. LIPA offers rebates and the gov't offers tax breaks. I did it seven years ago and it saves me 22% of my electric bill. This year is my payback year.
Good for you, any repair costs to the solar system during the 7 years?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Good for you, any repair costs to the solar system during the 7 years?
About a year after installation, a thunderstorm, possibly lightning, knocked out an inverter. The installer replaced it at no charge. Last year, I got an error code on one inverter that meant that data didn't get written to memory properly and it stopped elect production on that inverter. The manufacturer sent an installer, at no cost, to swap out an eprom that corrects that. If a data error now occurs, it just ignores the bad data and keeps making power. It will then just overwrite the bad data the next day.

It's been reliable considering it's on everyday, all day, for seven years. I wish my PC was as reliable. I'm considering adding panels to the existing system. The latest panels make more power per sq ft. It would be nice if I can get up to 50% of my usage.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 17,441 times
Sounds like gas is the way to go for heat. What if I get solar installed, would going electric for the heat make sense at that point?

On average, how much does solar cost to purchase and install?
I've been looking online and found that GE makes a product called "Brilliance Pre-Packaged System"
GE Energy - Brilliance Pre-Packaged Systems

I've contacted them for more information and I'll share with the group once I hear from them.

Is there anyone else I should contact for a solar solution?
Thanks
-Mike

Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysweet View Post
Sounds like gas is the way to go for heat. What if I get solar installed, would going electric for the heat make sense at that point?
Since the value of each KW of electricity is the same as the rate that you are paying, it still makes economic sense to go with gas for heat and HW and sell electricity back to the grid.
On average, how much does solar cost to purchase and install?
The total cost depends upon the size of the array that you want and total rebates and tax credits. Back in 2002, mine cost $37,000, then I got a $25,000 check from LIPA and a $2,500 tax credit from NYS. The rebates are different now and there is a federal tax credit also.

If you Direct Message me I can give you the name and number of a solar contractor on LI.

I've been looking online and found that GE makes a product called "Brilliance Pre-Packaged System"
GE Energy - Brilliance Pre-Packaged Systems

I've contacted them for more information and I'll share with the group once I hear from them.

Is there anyone else I should contact for a solar solution?
Thanks
-Mike
zz

Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 8,858 times
Unless there is a major flaw in the current furnace I would get a gas conversion burner and install it in place of the existing oil burner unit.

If you're set on replacing the furnace I'd put a modern coal stoker furnace in. Oil and gas aren't coming down anytime soon. Current coal prices are like buying oil at less than $2/gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island