Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:14 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
That's right. There will be two policies. One for the bank for 75K (actually it may be somewhat higher because they pad it a bit)
Wait.... the bank will insist on a title policy for a HIGHER amount than what their mortgage is for?? How can they do that, when the buyer is the one paying for the policy? Another question: Although we can choose whatever title company we want for OUR policy, do we also have the right to choose the title company for the Mortgage policy? It seems like we should, since we're the ones paying for it. If so, how can the bank insist on a policy for an amount greater than their mortgage interest? Why can't we purchase a fee policy for ourselves for 575K and also a mortgage policy for the bank for 75K? After all, that's all their MORTGAGE is for. (sorry, I get very mad at the idea of someone else spending my money without my permission...!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:15 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Under RESPA the attorney or realtor cannot accept a fee for referring any settlement services to the buyer unless such arrangements are fully disclosed. However, most attornies have title companies that they have long standing relationships with that make it easier for them to deal with.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Under RESPA the attorney or realtor cannot accept a fee for referring any settlement services to the buyer unless such arrangements are fully disclosed. However, most attornies have title companies that they have long standing relationships with that make it easier for them to deal with.
I wonder if that RESPA rule is fairly recent (maybe since 2003?) because although we were given a disclosure this time around by our buyer agent for a title company they 'recommend', when we bought our previous house in 2003 we were not given a disclosure by our attorney. So if that's a new rule, IMO it's a good one but it didn't help us back then. I wonder too if the NYS guidelines are new since then also, because according to that online calculator for the amount we paid for our last title policy, we were 'overcharged' by $925 for the amount of title insurance we got!! So I guess there were no state imposed rules back then.

To be honest, I don't give a flying pig what company our attorney 'prefers' to use. Since we're footing the bill for the title policy, he has nothing to say about which one we choose to use, just as he has no right to have any input about who we use for our homeowners policy. And as for 'dealing with' the title company, I really don't care whether he has to make one or two or five phone calls asking when the title search will be finished; it's not like he's doing our closing for free. He'll be getting his $1200 fee no matter how few or how many phonecalls he makes. For that matter, I have absolutely no problem nagging the title company myself. (can you tell that I really dislike lawyers? )

I was really hoping to get an answer to my questions about
(1) How the bank can demand that we purchase a Mortgage title policy for a larger amount than they are actually lending us?
(2) Don't we have the legal right to choose the title company who issues the Mortgage policy, since we're paying for that too?
(3) What's the going rate for the title company representative's "honorarium/tip" for attending a closing nowadays? Five years ago it was $75.

As well as my other title question in the other thread, since it's obvious that combined policies (naming both the bank and the homeowner) ARE available in NY State.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Doesn't the need for a CO for an above-ground pool vary by township? Because we were told that although the town of Smithtown requires a PERMIT for an above-ground pool, they don't require an actual CO because it's not a permanent structure (can be removed at any time). We do know that an inground pool needs first a permit and then a CO, no matter what town the house is in, because the inground pool is considered a permanent addition.
Well, It will need a certificate of Completion or a CC which most people just call it a CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island