Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM

15 posts, read 57,193 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm hoping u guys can help clear up something for me, as I'm confused....

We moved to CT from Long Island (previously rented) in the winter for job purposes. We knew it was temporary, and are now looking to re-locate back by next summer. We are looking to buy our first house.

Our needs: affordable, safe house in Suffolk, 2 beds, 1 bath, basement, outdoor area, quiet. We have no children (but seek a good school district anyhow for future children, and good re-sale value).

Based on our research, Rocky Point has been of great interest to us (near the water, it's said to be affordable).

I've been looking up houses online at a variety of listings sites, and have seen plenty of houses in Rocky points listing for $210K to $250K, which is our budget.

Here's where I'm a bit confused.... I've read posts here that say you need at least 300K to get into a good Rocky Point home.

It's a buyers' market now, and anticipated to be so for at least another year.

Granted, you can never tell online what these houses are like, however, they do seem okay (the ones listed $210K to $250K).

Thanks a lot for all your feedback.

Looking forward to coming home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:18 PM

187 posts, read 863,609 times
I think you are on the right track. A decent 2br 1ba house in Rocky Point can be had for around the 250k range currently. And remember you can look a little higher than that (say up to 280) and lowball an offer as it definitely is a buyer's market right now.

really just go to MLSLI and search Rocky Point sorted by price. there's currently close to 40 properties in your range, and even if half of those fit your needs (mint condition, decent yard etc) then you've got a lot to choose from.

Maybe if people say you need over 300k for a 'good' RP home it's just a matter of what THEY consider good. But remember, in this price range you'll get the size house you are looking for, but it's not as likely you'll get one with updated kitchen, baths etc.

Here's a good example - go to mlsli.com and search mls# 2059491 - that one's in a desireable area, too.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:18 PM

175 posts, read 657,713 times
I would think you can get a small house in Rocky Point for $250k. Based on what you're looking for, I agree with you that Rocky Point is probably your best bet. Either that or Ridge. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 PM

15 posts, read 57,193 times
Thanks, guys, for responding.

I am so relieved to know that this is doable in our price range.

Aaron, I've seen that listing... it's an interesting looking house, ay?

I've read on these boards to avoid the Broadway and Kings Rd areas.

Is this true?

Every town has it's "bad" spots.... what are Rocky Point's?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times
There are some illegal day laborers around Broadway and King road. It's a very small amount though compared to other areas, such as Farmingville.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point

LianaJoFPB, in case you were unaware, bear in mind that there are places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point.

For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point:

Rocky Point is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Rocky Point in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Sound Beach and Long Island Sound; on the east by the Village of Shoreham and the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge; on the south by the Hamlet of Middle Island; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place and the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

The Hamlet of Rocky Point has a different border than does the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point and a place can have other than a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point): places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point are in the Hamlet of Sound Beach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Rocky Point that have a "Shoreham, NY 11786" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LianaJoFPB View Post
Thanks, guys, for responding.

I am so relieved to know that this is doable in our price range.

Aaron, I've seen that listing... it's an interesting looking house, ay?

I've read on these boards to avoid the Broadway and Kings Rd areas.

Is this true?

Every town has it's "bad" spots.... what are Rocky Point's?

Thanks!
I would stay away from the Broadway vicinity, as well as the streets right off of 25A. This is really the only area that can be a little seedy but it's honestly not all that bad. As I'm sure you have noticed, this section of RP can vary, meaning one block is beautiful and the next could need some TLC. However, the whole area in general is improving aesthetically each year as more bungalows are renovated. Feel free to PM me any questions about Rocky Point good luck!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
I would stay away from the Broadway vicinity, as well as the streets right off of 25A. This is really the only area that can be a little seedy but it's honestly not all that bad. As I'm sure you have noticed, this section of RP can vary, meaning one block is beautiful and the next could need some TLC. However, the whole area in general is improving aesthetically each year as more bungalows are renovated. Feel free to PM me any questions about Rocky Point good luck!

Broadway is fine.

I personally dont like King Road due to the Power Lines but they are supposedly building Rails to Trails there.

(Bike trails that will connect Port Jeff to Riverhead via the LIPA right of way with Downtown Rocky Point serving as Gateway to the Pine Barren Trails)

I think the downtown is beginning to revitalize and I hear sewers are coming soon which will aid in its development

Sure theres a few day laborers by the Ramirez deli but compared to some other communities in Brookhaven ...its nothing.

Theres no really bad areas of Rocky Point...just some areas are more attractive than others.

I think very soon "walk to town" will be just as desirable as "walk to beach".

Downtown might very well be an extremely shrewd buy.

Moderator cut: no private links please

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-12-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
LianaJoFPB, in case you were unaware, bear in mind that there are places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point.

For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point:

Rocky Point is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Rocky Point in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Sound Beach and Long Island Sound; on the east by the Village of Shoreham and the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge; on the south by the Hamlet of Middle Island; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place and the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

The Hamlet of Rocky Point has a different border than does the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point and a place can have other than a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point): places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point are in the Hamlet of Sound Beach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Rocky Point that have a "Shoreham, NY 11786" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

This map is wrong

Westchester is the line.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:04 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,547,629 times
It seems to me that RP is one of the LI towns that go hit harder in the price correction tham most. I have do several inspections there lately and I was suprised about the agreed selling price.

Nice thing about RP is the the lot size on many house is very big for LI standards....good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island