Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 PM

111 posts, read 412,932 times

Advertisements

I want to make a move to long island and know some people in Smithtown. I like the area and was looking for real estate when it was too expensive to buy. I still think that a $400,000 house that needs to be knocked down is a waste.
Where do you think is the best location and why?

I need a good school district for my three toddlers and a house that I can expand on. I need a house with a basement (8' ceiling even if i have to build it) at least a 1/2 acre lot or more.
I lived in queens all my life and I don't live near the LIE and I don't want that in LI. Just because I'm from the city does not mean I can live next to a highway or a busy 2 lane street for that matter.

I think a house that you do not have to do a thing to it should cost about 450,000.

Please post some good advice. I need to move this year. I have a 2 family home and had an offer for 770,000(fell through). I have it on the market and I'm waiting see if it sells. I know I can sell but will it cover my next home?
Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 PM

217 posts, read 961,509 times
It depends what type of home you want. Based on what you told us- Good schools, newer home around 450k and place to fit in after Queens for your family. (Lived there before no offense that place sucked!) Keep in mind Queens to Eastern Long Island is a big change, culturally its lilly white. I would suggest Miller Place- good rated schools, newer home construction and away from the 495. Smithtown would be more expensive (very high taxes), but good schools, Stony Brook ditto (better on taxes). Rocky Point and Wading River you start to get into more rural like areas not sure the schools stack up as good. I would wait a bit if you can to purchase, the market is cooling a bit and prices are coming down.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,530 times
Rocky point sounds like it would be good for you. Good schools, reasonably priced and far enough away from major highways but easy access. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
there are a few lovely neighborhoods in stony brook, like the 'S' section that would have homes in your range. Both Miller place & rocky point would be good choices too, though they are a little less convenient to major highways.
Wading river is beautiful, I border that town but I don't think you'd find a home in that range that you'd be happy with, the taxes are $$$ too.
Good luck.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:09 AM

40 posts, read 184,207 times
We lived in Rocky Point, and just moved 2 yrs ago. As long as you're not dead set against moving in 10+ yrs b/c the high school isn't so great. The other schools ARE. If you do decide to move there, I'd suggest staying away from the older side of RP, and stay more towards Miller Place- and back in those developments- seems like there's less converted cottages back there. I lived in the older part. We sold 2 yrs ago for 315K, decent sized home- rental downstairs- converted but we didn't rent it out. I noticed a month ago, many many homes for sale and the prices have fluctuated a bit (you can find something).
I would steer you away from Wading River unless you do your research. You want Shoreham/Wading River schools, not the Riverhead schools, and one side of the street is zoned for that (25A being the cut off maybe?). Shoreham is good and their library is the best I've ever used for the kids. Have you looked in Mt Sinai? Areas of Sound Beach I "think" use that school.
I absolutely loved that whole area, the beaches out east, Mc Nulty's ice cream, Pelligrino's pizza (sp) in Shoreham, finding sea glass on the beach.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:37 AM

40 posts, read 184,207 times
Correction: Parts of Sound Beach can be in the Miller Place school district, a bit better than Rocky Point, taxes are slightly higher though. Quality of home is substantial also, imo.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,040 times
I have to disagree, i'm a senior at RPHS and i have had nothing but a great experience. The Teachers are great and so are the majority of the kids. Sure there are your few undesirables, but this is in any high school. From what i have seen in other high schools, our programs stack up equally, if not better than Miller Place High School. Honestly, Rocky Point Schools have offered me nothing but a wonderful educational experience. Good Luck

Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 PM

111 posts, read 412,932 times
Default Thanks For all the Feedback

I wanted to know more about Kings Park. Is it flooded with Day Laborers?
That's what I heard with Farmingville. not sure though. Any help?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 24,522 times
Default House for sale Kings Park - All Offers Taken!

Kings Park is a great area of Long Island that has opportunity for young families to buy their first affordable home. It is a safe area with a great school district. I have a beautiful MINI COMPOUND - colonial with 2/3 bedrooms, plus full finished basement apartment with outside entrance (INCOME) zoned RM7 2 family... plus there is expanded garage that has been made into 4 beautiful finished rooms...great gym, playroom, office or ? WITH inground pool and deck. I have to distress sell this wonderful property and are accepting ALL OFFERS. House valued easily at $449,000+ -- I need to sell and will listen to all offers for fast deal. Martin 516-991-7777

Old 08-24-2007, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 24,522 times
I have a great house in KINGS PARK with taxes of only $5800 (without Star) and INCOME POTENTIAL... I need to sell DISTRESS SALE KINGS PARK and are taking ALL offers at 516-991-7777
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island