Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM

65 posts, read 356,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Nothing regarding crime, strip malls or jobs is any different on LI. Jobs are harder to come by here because it is not as large as the NYC metro area. Salaries vary by field and experience. Some are the same or higher in Charlotte.

It is also not about money for some as it is about having enough money at the end of the day to save for college and retirement. Also, if you read through the [domain blocked due to spam] comments on many Newsday stories, you'll see that intolerence is just as previlent on LI as it is anywhere else.
Long Island and New York in Particular are much more tolerant than almost anywhere else in this country. Are you kidding me? Anyone who says that hasn't spend much time anywhere in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffisok View Post
Long Island and New York in Particular are much more tolerant than almost anywhere else in this country. Are you kidding me? Anyone who says that hasn't spend much time anywhere in the South.
I have to agree with this statement..

NY probably has one of THE most diverse of populations and if there was no tolerance that just wouldn't be the case.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:09 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffisok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I have to agree with this statement..

NY probably has one of THE most diverse of populations and if there was no tolerance that just wouldn't be the case.
Hmmm... NYC yes, LI no. NYC yes because it is a mecca for people from all over the world to move to. When they get there, they get an apartment. The others in the building have no say in who their neighbors are since they don't own the building. The landlord doesn't care because if you can pay the rent, you're in. After years of this kind of activity in many areas of NYC, people learn that this "other group" is just like they are - go to work, come home, eat .... Not as in times past when groups came in and went right to their ethnic group's section of town. Tolerance was learned. But let’s not forget that NYC still has areas of high intolerance.

On LI, things are different. Home value is tied to school district. Unconsciously or not, neighborhoods are structured to keep most minorities out, keeping home values and school scores up. Minority concentration is seen in certain areas. You can say “that’s not true”, but look at areas like Roosevelt/Hempstead, Freeport, New Cassel/Westbury, Amityville/Copiague/Wyandanch, Elmont, and so on. Compare that with Garden City, Williston Park, the stretch from Massapequa to Merrick, and so on. There is not much diversity in these areas as evidenced by the number of minorities living in them and the number of minorities enrolled in their school districts. All places have bad areas, but in the south I’ve noticed that in the towns comparable to that second group LI towns, there is a much higher percentage of minorities, accepted without fuss.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 AM

100 posts, read 326,631 times
Quote:
Hmmm... NYC yes, LI no. NYC yes because it is a mecca for people from all over the world to move to. When they get there, they get an apartment. The others in the building have no say in who their neighbors are since they don't own the building. The landlord doesn't care because if you can pay the rent, you're in. After years of this kind of activity in many areas of NYC, people learn that this "other group" is just like they are - go to work, come home, eat .... Not as in times past when groups came in and went right to their ethnic group's section of town. Tolerance was learned. But let’s not forget that NYC still has areas of high intolerance.

On LI, things are different. Home value is tied to school district. Unconsciously or not, neighborhoods are structured to keep most minorities out, keeping home values and school scores up. Minority concentration is seen in certain areas. You can say “that’s not true”, but look at areas like Roosevelt/Hempstead, Freeport, New Cassel/Westbury, Amityville/Copiague/Wyandanch, Elmont, and so on. Compare that with Garden City, Williston Park, the stretch from Massapequa to Merrick, and so on. There is not much diversity in these areas as evidenced by the number of minorities living in them and the number of minorities enrolled in their school districts. All places have bad areas, but in the south I’ve noticed that in the towns comparable to that second group LI towns, there is a much higher percentage of minorities, accepted without fuss.
I agree with this statement... I grew up in Elmont and my parents sold their home and moved away for a more affordable retirement. I married and moved with hubby in Levittown. I have heard many, many times Wantagh referred to as "White Wantagh" by residents and just people around... This is just one of the towns you hear things like that about - All you have to do is take a tour of Long Island and you will see it for yourself.
I have also visited only 2 places in the south - TN & NC and as a visitor I can't comment much. But while in the south I saw more towns that were blended. But like I said I was just a visitor looking for a home in the south...

Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM

50 posts, read 148,061 times
Quote:

I have to disagree with that statement. The Ballantyne, Blakeney and Piper Glenn areas are not very diverse at all... I've lived there my entire life. Home values are also tied to the school districts as well. I know for a fact that the Waxhaw/Marvin areas are. Sure the taxes maybe less which is an incentive to move, and as I said earlier, sure there's crime in NY, however for living in NY 20 years of my life I have never 1. Had a gun pointed in my face, 2. Had a friend murdered 3. Had a friend robbed at point blank.... All of this happening at our jobs, mind you. I'm not saying that NY is the promised lands with golden streets and no crime, however I know the area that I am moving to is a diverse area, and I know that a bunch of areas around there are working middle class areas. I'm tired of being judged as a "yankee" as soon as they hear my NY accent. Should I change the way I speak to please my employer? I'm a very accepting person, however a lot of people I know are loosing they're houses down here because of the job market. I know it's a slower life down here, and you get much more for your money, and it's supposed to be better to raise you're children, but what happens when you're job has a big layoff and you're let go? Where are you going to look for work besides Charlotte? Granted the job market in NY is not so great, but there's 5 burroughs to find work in. So there's a layoff at my job in Queens and I can't find work in Queens, now there's Manhattan. But my question is, what happens if you get laid off in Charlotte, and now you can't find work in Charlotte, then what do you do? This has happened to me with US Airways, and I had to start my own business out of my house, just to make ends meet for about three months, untill I found something that paid me 1/2 of what I was making in NY.... It's just not for me

Old 09-18-2008, 05:48 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,464 times
Quote:

when is the last time you were on LI.. becasue things are a changing real fast.

First to the your first paragraph. you are right to a point.. however, that depends on wether a building is a rental unit or a coop. Coops most certainly have a say in who lives in their building and they most certainly can discriminate under the guise of board approval. Even in renting a unit that allows for subletting of an owned coop or even condo that is the case..
Most of those living in NYC in certain neighborhoods are of affluents. Most others that are of "minority" live in areas like harlem, and then brooklyn , queens and the bronx and even staten Island..

Now.. back to LI. What you are taling about is very affluent in the upper middle class neighborhoods.. for example.. Roslyn Heights, Roslyn tend to be very rich Persian (who have moved induring the boom) and very jewish neighborhoods as are Great Neck and soe other areas. You'll definately be hard pressed to find minorities in those neighborhoods as they are cost prohibitive.. unless of course that "minority" is a dr. lawyer. etc. But even in those areas you are seeing more nationalities move in.. like Korean , Chinese and Indian population.

The middle class neighborhoods your also finding more and more diversity.. a lot of INdian population moving in to places like Hicksville, Levittown etc. Most come from Queens..

Yes... property values are tied into schools and it's kind of like one hand washes the other.. meaning that those neighborhoods that are the ones you mentioned above like roosevelt, hempstead parts of Elmont, do have poorer school and thereby have lower housing prices.. and those that can afford lower housing prices live in those areas as opposed to a more expensive area etc. However, that is also true about sections of NYC, Brooklyn queens and the Bronx. '

The thing about LI these days is this.. if you can afford to live inthe neighborhood and pay the taxes you are welcome to live in the neighborhood no matter what race you are..it's more about affluents than nationality and I see that in the diverse make up of every neighborhood in every price range.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM

54 posts, read 167,467 times
My husband and I have lived in Nassau County our whole lives (27/28years) and since we're still young with no kids, we are looking to move to Central Florida this year. His family moved to Colorado Springs last fall and besides my family and our friends, which is a big thing of course, we can't think of one logical reason to stay here. We hate the cold weather, it would take us 3 times as long to save up a large deposit (at least $40-50K) for a house if we stayed here, and even then the idea of paying $7-$13K a year in taxes for a tiny home that will most likely needs TONS of work and money to fix it up makes us sick. A majority of people who have their houses on the market for sale here think they are sitting on gold because it's on LI, when they really need to put a lot of work into fixing up their houses. If things don't work out for us in FL, we still wouldn't move back here. I think a lot of young married couples have also had this financial problem over the last few years, which is why so many move off the island. We, personally, just want a slow-pace lifestyle and not live paycheck to paycheck. I do feel safe where I currently rent ($1400/1-b.r.), but I find the stress of everyday life and the overall rudeness of people/drivers to be awful and not worth it here anymore. It just feels like Nassau has become what Queens used to be; overcrowded with people and buildings. I am not knocking anyone for wanting to live here; we’re just disappointed with it. We’re middle-class and hard-working like many people, so money isn’t the full issue for us, just partly.

I have an aunt and cousins who live in Raleigh, NC who I visited for weekend once, and while the scenery was nice, I was bored out of my mind, no offense. I can see how a lot of people have commented on how rude a lot of people are to down there and can’t say I’m all that surprised. I never plan on moving to either NC or SC, but was actually surprised to here of all the crime.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:57 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,403,143 times
I agree with Figaro2008, aside from family and friends, there isn't much the island has to offer young couples starting out. Unaffordable housing, outrageous taxes, and ever increasing utility bills. If I didn't already have a house I'd have had to have left a long time ago. Family kept me here, but now they are talking of leaving, most of my friends have already left and it's time to get out. No one I know has come back. It's just getting too expensive for the middle class. Long Island will eventually be a playground for the rich and a place some poor people live to service the rich.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:56 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,182,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I agree with Figaro2008, aside from family and friends, there isn't much the island has to offer young couples starting out. Unaffordable housing, outrageous taxes, and ever increasing utility bills. If I didn't already have a house I'd have had to have left a long time ago. Family kept me here, but now they are talking of leaving, most of my friends have already left and it's time to get out. No one I know has come back. It's just getting too expensive for the middle class. Long Island will eventually be a playground for the rich and a place some poor people live to service the rich.

Where have I heard that before?

Why is is everyone so angry on LI?

crookhaven

Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,308,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro2008 View Post
My husband and I have lived in Nassau County our whole lives (27/28years) and since we're still young with no kids, we are looking to move to Central Florida this year. His family moved to Colorado Springs last fall and besides my family and our friends, which is a big thing of course, we can't think of one logical reason to stay here. We hate the cold weather, it would take us 3 times as long to save up a large deposit (at least $40-50K) for a house if we stayed here, and even then the idea of paying $7-$13K a year in taxes for a tiny home that will most likely needs TONS of work and money to fix it up makes us sick. A majority of people who have their houses on the market for sale here think they are sitting on gold because it's on LI, when they really need to put a lot of work into fixing up their houses. If things don't work out for us in FL, we still wouldn't move back here. I think a lot of young married couples have also had this financial problem over the last few years, which is why so many move off the island. We, personally, just want a slow-pace lifestyle and not live paycheck to paycheck. I do feel safe where I currently rent ($1400/1-b.r.), but I find the stress of everyday life and the overall rudeness of people/drivers to be awful and not worth it here anymore. It just feels like Nassau has become what Queens used to be; overcrowded with people and buildings. I am not knocking anyone for wanting to live here; we’re just disappointed with it. We’re middle-class and hard-working like many people, so money isn’t the full issue for us, just partly.

I have an aunt and cousins who live in Raleigh, NC who I visited for weekend once, and while the scenery was nice, I was bored out of my mind, no offense. I can see how a lot of people have commented on how rude a lot of people are to down there and can’t say I’m all that surprised. I never plan on moving to either NC or SC, but was actually surprised to here of all the crime.
If a move to Central Florida or some other location is an option, and Nassau is not your cup of tea, why not head east? Just a thought. North Shore out east might suit your pace a bit more...Shoreham, Wading River, Calverton, Rocky Point maybe...it doesn't solve the cold thing but just a thought I had. I only like the heat of Florida when I visit as a tourist or to see family. I like the four seasons thing. Either way good luck to you. Central Florida may hold some similar rude driver challenges as well.
Regards, JRP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island