Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:35 PM

189 posts, read 345,316 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house in long island... I know the "best" towns like smithtown and dix hills, but these are a little out of my price range. I came across centereach and was wondering if it's a safe/clean area. What other areas would you say are safe and clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,891 times
Middle Country is a middle district. Not bad, not great and it seems like people on LI live and die depending on which SD they are zoned into.

Otherwise its ok. Only think I detest about Centereach is Middle Country Rd. Lots of traffic and lights. However, since theres plenty of commercial space the taxes are usually lower.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM

10 posts, read 39,566 times
I grew up in Centereach and can tell you that I personally hated every second of it. This is my opinion and I'm sure other people have there own, but the town is only becoming more dangerous. The heroin problem in Smithtown is spilling over in Centereach, several of the people I went to HS with have either died for overdoses, or are in jail for possession. Over the years it has only been getting more trashy. Look up the mugshots on newsday.com and see how many people reside in Centereach. You'll lose count.

The schools are a literal joke. While I was looking at colleges I was considering Buffalo and the advice I received from my guidance counselor was "Do you know it is cold in Buffalo?". Wow, thanks a bunch, Mr. Rivera! Without his knowledge of the weather in upstate New York I might have packed only swimsuits for the four years.

There are areas of Centereach with nice looking houses that are fairly new developments but it's not worth the money you pay for it. There are other areas of the island that are safer, try looking in Kings Park.

And please, do not be fooled by the existence of "South Setauket". The zip code is still 11720, it's the same post office, it is Centereach. It's the same awful school district.

The only upside to living in this town was the easy access to Stony Brook University.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneGirl View Post
And please, do not be fooled by the existence of "South Setauket". The zip code is still 11720, it's the same post office, it is Centereach. It's the same awful school district.
Walter, have fun !! JK.

This is not related to the actual post but an observation on the PP.
I know that when I was looking, I would see houses in S.Setauket listed as "3V" schools, but if you click the school reports it would say "Centereach SD".
A few realtors had no clue when I asked them, luckily we did not find a house in that area to our liking, otherwise we would have had to look at the tax documents etc to make sure what SD the house really belongs to, but this is definitely a red flag for prospective buyers.... make sure you do your homework and not just go by the listing.

By the way, I second the traffic issue mentioned by the PP, its horrendous, Middle country rd is a mess.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 39,566 times
You are right though, some zones in "S. Setauket" do go to three village school district so I may have spoken too quickly on that one. I tend to rant when I talk about Centereach. Maybe it was the peeping tom, the attempted break-in to my house, or someone trying to car-jack my father that makes me a little touchy on the town LOL. It would just irritate me when people in my school said they lived in "S. Setauket", I wanted to shake them and say "YOU LIVE IN CENTEREACH!"

Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
There are a handful of South Setauket/Centereach, NY 11720 homes zoned for 3V, but one has to be very diligent and would be best confirming the address' zoning directly with the school district clerk.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 AM

142 posts, read 265,304 times
No. That's all.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM

131 posts, read 300,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneGirl View Post

The only upside to living in this town was the easy access to Stony Brook University.
Specifically, I think Betty Ann drive, those other four long parallel blocks, and the adjacent community to the east are part of "South Setauket" and are also in the Three Village School district (unless something has changed since the 80's/90's). Something to factor in your decision if that district is still considered a plus.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM

189 posts, read 345,316 times
Thanks for the input. I never knew smithtown had a drug problem. I thought it was a safe and clean town. As fr as the 3v even if I find a house that's in that sd I would still have to worry about break-ins and such? Also,besides kings park what are some other good safe/clean towns?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Break ins occur everywhere and as the economy declines they increase. No where is safe from break ins -- it is just that they are more commonplace in some areas as opposed to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island