Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,603,359 times

Advertisements

This is a spinoff from the Walmart/supermarkets thread.

Just wondering what we "typical" Long Islanders usually spend per month at the grocery store. We seem to have a good cross-section of situations here on this board, so it'll probably end up being representative of Long Island as a whole...

By "on groceries" I'm also including nonfood items that are normally bought in the supermarket as well, such as paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc.

So, what would you say is your average monthly spending? If you patronize one store most of the time, which one is it? And is there any factor in particular that affects your spending one way or the other?

We spend about $400/month (two adults in our early 60s). We go to Stop & Shop but also go to Whole Foods every 2 or 3 weeks for certain specific items that just aren't sold in any of the regular grocery stores hereabouts.

We don't eat red meat at all, and chicken or turkey no more than once a week, if that. We use no dairy other than skim milk and nonfat yogurt. We eat lots of fresh veggies, beans, and grains. Don't drink or smoke.

We do buy Poland Spring bottled water (reusing each bottle twice and then recycling!) but we wait until the 24-packs go on sale at Stop & Shop for $3.99 (which is done fairly regularly) and then stock up.

(NOTE to mods and posters: Please keep this thread in the LI forum since the intent is to see what the costs are here on LI. Ditto to posters who may be living elsewhere; please keep responses just to people who live here, rather than ex-pats who are "just cybervisting". Thanks!)

Last edited by totallyfrazzled; 01-01-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,757 times
Great thread! We are a family of 5 with 2 teenagers. When we first moved here our food bill skyrocketed to $1200/month. Whoa!! I have it back down to $800 now. I shop once a month at Costco and spend $400. I shop once a month at Trader Joe's and spend $200. I then fill in with milk and fresh fruits and what not as needed at Stop and Shop for another $50 a week or so. My kids do eat school lunch (yuck I know, but it's their choice) so we do spend more than $800 if you include their lunches. That's about it though. I think I could get it lower if I really shopped around harder, but I'd rather fill in my spare time with fun things over bargain shopping!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,181,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Great thread! We are a family of 5 with 2 teenagers. When we first moved here our food bill skyrocketed to $1200/month. Whoa!! I have it back down to $800 now. I shop once a month at Costco and spend $400. I shop once a month at Trader Joe's and spend $200. I then fill in with milk and fresh fruits and what not as needed at Stop and Shop for another $50 a week or so. My kids do eat school lunch (yuck I know, but it's their choice) so we do spend more than $800 if you include their lunches. That's about it though. I think I could get it lower if I really shopped around harder, but I'd rather fill in my spare time with fun things over bargain shopping!

2 adults 1 kid and thanks to Pathmark and Target 600.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,475,160 times
Probably between $350-$400 month. That's for 2 adults, 1 child, and cats.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Probably between $350-$400 month. That's for 2 adults, 1 child, and cats.

Thats great....where do you shop?

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,475,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats great....where do you shop?

crooks
Shop Rite, Stop & Shop, Wal Mart.

I am also use coupons, check the circulars before I shop, make a list & cross-reference the coupons I have with that list, and I am a major bargain hunter.

I remember one time in Stop & Shop, I got $160+ worth of groceries for about $45. That was the best savings I ever had! Most of the stuff I got free (this was when they used to double the $1 coupons) and I used coupons for almost everything I had in the basket, along with their weekly specials, etc.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:56 AM

149 posts, read 525,423 times
For myself and my 'tween' daughter I average around$200-$250/mo...it varies. The Associated in Westbury has been having some dynamite deals especially on meat and poultry lately. Plus there's a Potato Field across the street for veggies and fruit. The prices seem to be coming down for food and thank God for that!

I also shop at Stop&Shop at times as well as Waldbaums.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 AM

518 posts, read 1,821,731 times
i probly spend 100 a month, just for me. but i dont eat breakfast or lunch at home on days that i work, and eat out now and then

Old 01-01-2009, 12:13 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,671,574 times
I'm embarrassed to say this, around $750/mo for 2 adults. Stop & Shop/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods/Local butcher for most of our meat. We love to cook and buy high quality stuff, and also try to eat organic.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'm embarrassed to say this, around $750/mo for 2 adults. Stop & Shop/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods/Local butcher for most of our meat. We love to cook and buy high quality stuff, and also try to eat organic.

Dont be.
We were there too.

I wonder if differerent areas are paying more or less.

I suspect were getting raped on the North Shore as usual.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island