Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 18,538 times

Advertisements

I was looking at renting an apartment in Heatherwood Homes at Port Jefferson. After reading this I am a bit nervous. Does anyone live in the complex that has any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtorent32 View Post
I was looking at renting an apartment in Heatherwood Homes at Port Jefferson. After reading this I am a bit nervous. Does anyone live in the complex that has any advice?
Nothing to worry about.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 18,538 times
Is it a problem that it is near the train station?
Also I saw something on one of the websites about Mary/Mercy Haven having a lot of people put there. Is that anything to really worry about.
It seems like a really nice complex, and I can't seem to find anything like it near a train station.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM

25 posts, read 105,149 times
There was a sex offender that lived in there, but he must have moved out recently because he doesn't come up on the list anymore. The HSBC bank on the corner has been robbed 3 times in the past 6 months, and the Teacher's Federal was robbed the same week as the HSBC bank. I don't think the riff raff that hangs out near the shopping plaza migrates into the residential areas though. I live in the area

Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM

99 posts, read 272,918 times
The apartment complex is pretty far from the "bad" area of port jefferson station. Banks get robbed all the time in all areas. They do charge a pretty high price for what they offer IMO. See how good the soundproofing is between apartments. My friend lived in their selden apartments and you could hear every footstep and muffled conversation of ppl upstairs, and they want 1300 a month for that?!

Old 12-23-2009, 07:20 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
The apartment complex is pretty far from the "bad" area of port jefferson station. Banks get robbed all the time in all areas. They do charge a pretty high price for what they offer IMO. See how good the soundproofing is between apartments. My friend lived in their selden apartments and you could hear every footstep and muffled conversation of ppl upstairs, and they want 1300 a month for that?!
Try to find an apartment complex that ISN'T like that. It's nearly impossible.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,660,380 times
I think the problem is that up until now the areas around the train were the least desireable. They became cheaper and poorly maintained, and have not held up well. It's all over...Oyster Bay, Pt. Washington, etc.

I think that's a need for focus on LI. Build this up with new, hi-end apts, retail, offices, etc. and make it a place where people want to be. You would think it would be a hot place b/c of proxmimity to the trains...it's ass backwards. I think it's a matter of time before things turn around. Too much potential there.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 AM

51 posts, read 108,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We're splitting hairs. That section has become an ethnic enclave which intermingles with the dopers and drunks.
When I was growing up (80's) that area was more puerto rican than anything else. A lot of the area has been taken over by dominican business owners who also live in the nearby areas and whose houses are very well kept. In my opinion having lived in pjs since 1976 I believe a majority of the demise can be attributed to the increase in homeless heroin addicts and drunks that seem to think its ok to drink out of a paper bag.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Looks like the "ghetto culture" of the City has finally made its way out to Long Island. There definitely has been a marked increase in graffiti in many parts of the Island.

Rule of thumb: if tyhe grafitti is at all readable, legible and with correct spelling then it was probably done by wannabe suburban White Teens.

If the grafitti makes no sense, most tags don't, then you may have some real gangstas in the 'hood about.

Do you even know the difference between gang related grafitti and just plain old grafitti? And I wonder what kind of artist tagged the anti semitic grafitti in Nassau? BTW I know plenty of white suburban teens that can't spell to save their lives.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
I grew up in Port Jefferson in the 60's and really nothing has changed , aside from the addition of Father Frank's Flop House ( or , if you prefer , Hopeless House ). The part of town surrounding the train station , whatever the zip code may be , has ALWAYS been populated by peculiar personalities , nefarious no-goodniks , lurking , leering Latinos , mischievous meanderers , homesteading hobos , noxious nomads , and larcenous loiterers !

Someone mentioned that other train-stop towns such as Sayville and Cold Spring Harbor don't have this problem but I've always had a theory that , because PJ is the end of the North Shore RR line , these crazy characters , hop the train from ..well , where ever ..and just ride it as far as it goes , climb off , and then just settle down in PJ , to shock , bewilder , and terrorize the good citizens , not to mention stymie the local law enforcement ( which really doesn't take much effort ).

Johnny " Finger " is , as previously mentioned , simply a harmless mentally retarded person who spends his days aimlessly wandering the streets but , causing no one any harm. He has , over the decades , achieved a certain amount of local fame , or depending on your viewpoint , infamy , but I can recall some other colorful characters from the PJ of my youth ....

There was the Polish immigrant ( his name escapes me ) who walked all around town , 24/7 , pushing a shopping cart , speaking ( English ? ) to anyone who cared , or didn't care , to listen to his ramblings . Remember him ? I eventually found out that , despite what you would assume , he was not poor but actually fairly well off !

And who could forget Mr. Cooper ? A most distinguished , well groomed , intelligent looking person as you might ever see ! His quirk , or schtick , was that he ALWAYS , 365 days of the year , was dressed for rain !
He always wore a tie , hat , raincoat , and carried an umbrella ! Oh yeah , I almost forgot ....he also used to talk to telephone poles and street signs. I vividly recall watching him converse with a telephone pole while waving his umbrella around to accentuate whatever point he was trying to make. Witnessing that scene , as a child , brought to mind one of my favorite cartoon characters , Mr. Magoo.

That picture of the graffiti on the side of Murphy's pub that someone previouly posted ....

Does anyone remember when 2 halfwits got into an argument at said pub and one of them left , ran to the nearby Shell station , threw a female customer out of her car and then drove it right thru that ( pictured ) Northside outer wall and INTO the pub ?

Ah what memories I have of my hometown.

My next post will be on how to clean up that part of town

Hahahaha I remember that, My first job was at that little tin diner when it was a bakery/diner. I knew them all. Andrew Casimir who lived in the apt above maxine florist was a relative of the owners of the funeral home next door used to come in for dinner every night along with a guy named Gary and I think (Rich?) not sure of the name but I see him walking around PJS still gray haired now. I think he came from the adult home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island