Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:52 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times

Advertisements

I am as frustrated as the next guy when it comes to our usual litany of complaints about our area: cost of living, sky high taxes, traffic, suck a$$people, drug addicts/homeless and lousy politicians. However, reading about other areas it seems like they have similar complaints. So is our area that much worse than the other areas or is every thing relative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 06:31 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
reading about other areas it seems like they have similar complaints.
I think you pretty much answered your own question. ;-)

Other than the high cost of living, which is easily documented with facts and figures, I don't think LI is any "worse" than anywhere else overall. For example I have a friend in California (earthquakes, wildfires, demographics that she doesn't like, summer temps regularly in the triple digits, drought, and not cheap to live there either) who thinks LI sounds like paradise. She'd move here in a heartbeat if not that her husband is adamant they stay where they are, and he holds the purse strings. It's all relative.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:58 PM

57 posts, read 46,736 times
Quote:
I am as frustrated as the next guy when it comes to our usual litany of complaints about our area: cost of living, sky high taxes, traffic, suck a$$people, drug addicts/homeless and lousy politicians. However, reading about other areas it seems like they have similar complaints. So is our area that much worse than the other areas or is every thing relative?
I think everyone suffers from the "grass is greener" syndrome from time to time. Every locale has plusses and minuses, some more than others and in different ratios depending on place. And quite frankly, many of those plusses and minuses are subjective, varying from person to person and perspective to perspective. With that being said, the stresses of living in one of the most densely populated areas in the country, Long Island, are bound to grind down even the most patient of us, and make the costs of living here outweigh the benefits. To each their own, but in the end is there anything more New York than complaining ? We always want the best and make it known when things aren’t always peachy.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM

40 posts, read 42,706 times
Long Island is one of the best places to live, hands down. It is indisputable. You will find very few areas globally, let alone in the USA, that offers the amount of amenities, access to world class health care, education (K-12 and college) opportunity, economic stability and opportunity, generally low crime overall, recreational access and worldwide transportation gateways that Long Island and the tri state area as a whole offers.

NOW...with that said there are plenty of downsides and living here isnt for everybody. Its crowded and bloody expensive, the weather could be better and the region has its fair share of problems to contend with. But its far far from the hellhole that the whiners make it out to be.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:39 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
Long Island is one of the best places to live, hands down. It is indisputable. You will find very few areas globally, let alone in the USA, that offers the amount of amenities, access to world class health care, education (K-12 and college) opportunity, economic stability and opportunity, generally low crime overall, recreational access and worldwide transportation gateways that Long Island and the tri state area as a whole offers.

NOW...with that said there are plenty of downsides and living here isnt for everybody. Its crowded and bloody expensive, the weather could be better and the region has its fair share of problems to contend with. But its far far from the hellhole that the whiners make it out to be.
Curious where else you've lived for an extended period of time to make such a glaringly exaggerated claim... I mean, whoa.

A specific town on LI, sure - maybe. But, that's going to be a relatively short list when compared globally don't you think? So stating that all of LI being the best and indisputable - easily just plain wrong.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
People living their every day lives are always going to find something to kvetch about. That's human nature. It's also the reason people move to "wherever" and end up unhappy. They go there on vacation, live it up, have a great time and love it, and forget that when they actually move, they're going to have to pay taxes, plunge the toilet, go grocery shopping, get sick, and all the other crap that happens every day no matter where you live.

That said, when I think to myself "this place is getting to be just like LI" all it takes is a trip back to get my mind straight again.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:16 AM

247 posts, read 180,996 times

It really is just a long island thing. For example two problems were solving themselves, Suffolk's lack of public and affordable transportation and there were people who needed income. Did not take long for one of the vile creatures to come along and do the usual.

In other places the old left vs right republican vs democrat thing is the name of the game. Here its them vs us. The utter contempt of the public by the vile creatures in government is unique to LINY.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 42,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Curious where else you've lived for an extended period of time to make such a glaringly exaggerated claim... I mean, whoa.

A specific town on LI, sure - maybe. But, that's going to be a relatively short list when compared globally don't you think? So stating that all of LI being the best and indisputable - easily just plain wrong.
What did I exaggerate about?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Everybody's problem is individual, you all just happen to live in the same area

After all, there are ppl who the current set-up still benefits

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-02-2018, 01:21 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
What did I exaggerate about?
Here:

Quote:
Long Island is one of the best places to live, hands down. It is indisputable.
and where else have you lived (globally and in the US) for comparison purposes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island