Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 AM

17 posts, read 118,814 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are being evicted from our apartment by the landlord. We did not pay rent for the month of January because we had an inspector here and it is an illegal apartment, he told us not to pay rent and that we could stay longer if needed till evicted. We used our security to pay for the month of december, and we havent found a place to go to yet anyways.

She is suing for rent of December and January. We have receipts and such that we had to force her to give us, as well as an agreement that we would use security for the month of december..so shes just trying to get more money.

Anyways, she is evicting us from an illegal apartment. What I am asking is how does this work? Will we have eviction on our records the day we attend court? Or do they give us a date to vacate before this happens? I really dont want 'eviction' to show up on my record, especially since this apartment was illegal and all the problems she gave us it would just make things harder.

thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
Move out before the court date. Look at your other thread on this subject.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,510 times
Why are you posting another thread on this subject?

Same answer as the other thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM

17 posts, read 118,814 times
because at the time no one answered and I need to know quickly, being that i dont have stable internet to keep checking back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Why are you posting another thread on this subject?

Same answer as the other thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 15,473 times
loss my job and cant pay the rent i still have 8 more months on the lease. will i get sued if i get evicted and cant pay the rest of the lease

Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 AM

127 posts, read 747,640 times
Will you get evicted? Yes.
Can your landlord get in trouble with the town for renting an illegal apt? Yes.
Will you have to pay further rent? Probably not.

These are the facts, but it seems to me that the situation that you created is worse than it needed to be. Instead of forcing the issue by calling in an inspector to force the issue, would it not have been better to see if the LL would have take a partial and late payment? Why is the first reaction to find out how to work the system?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,866 times
If you're living in a rental on LI that is part of a house there is a HUGE chance its an "illegal" apartment.

In any other area of the country it would be called a duplex.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM

537 posts, read 1,447,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azelyn View Post
My boyfriend and I are being evicted from our apartment by the landlord. We did not pay rent for the month of January because we had an inspector here and it is an illegal apartment, he told us not to pay rent and that we could stay longer if needed till evicted. We used our security to pay for the month of december, and we havent found a place to go to yet anyways.

She is suing for rent of December and January. We have receipts and such that we had to force her to give us, as well as an agreement that we would use security for the month of december..so shes just trying to get more money.

Anyways, she is evicting us from an illegal apartment. What I am asking is how does this work? Will we have eviction on our records the day we attend court? Or do they give us a date to vacate before this happens? I really dont want 'eviction' to show up on my record, especially since this apartment was illegal and all the problems she gave us it would just make things harder.

thanks for your help.

That is horrible advice by the inspector. He is a town inspector, not a lawyer. Legal or not, you should ALWAYS pay your rent. And yes you can get slapped with an eviction.

The legality of the apartment only affects the landlord and he can get fined bigtime for it. But you still have a legally binding lease and he can most definitely sue you for it.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 24,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azelyn View Post

thanks for your help.
Why did you call an inspector? As said, if you couldn't pay rent, your first reaction should have been to try to negotiate with the landlord, not try to get them into trouble.

The inspector either gave you horrible advice, or you misunderstood the advice that he gave you. It does not matter if it is a legal apartment or not. You have an obligation to pay rent. If you do not, the natural consequence, as you've seen, is that the landlord initiates an eviction proceeding against you and your boyfriend. The consequence of which is that if you do not resolve the matter via settlement, your landlord will be granted a judgment of possession and a warrant of eviction with a money judgment from the court, entitling her to have the sheriff remove you from the premises, and enter a money judgment against both you and your boyfriend.

If you simply cannot afford this apartment anymore, do your best to find another apartment (within the next week or two), and on your first court appearance, try to negotiate with the landlord's attorney, that you will agree to vacate the premises within the next 2 weeks, in exchange for waiving a money judgment.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurthaLaw View Post
Why did you call an inspector? As said, if you couldn't pay rent, your first reaction should have been to try to negotiate with the landlord, not try to get them into trouble.

The inspector either gave you horrible advice, or you misunderstood the advice that he gave you. It does not matter if it is a legal apartment or not. You have an obligation to pay rent. If you do not, the natural consequence, as you've seen, is that the landlord initiates an eviction proceeding against you and your boyfriend. The consequence of which is that if you do not resolve the matter via settlement, your landlord will be granted a judgment of possession and a warrant of eviction with a money judgment from the court, entitling her to have the sheriff remove you from the premises, and enter a money judgment against both you and your boyfriend.

If you simply cannot afford this apartment anymore, do your best to find another apartment (within the next week or two), and on your first court appearance, try to negotiate with the landlord's attorney, that you will agree to vacate the premises within the next 2 weeks, in exchange for waiving a money judgment.

Good luck.
First of all, this thread is a YEAR OLD. The OP is long gone from that apartment.

Why do you have "law" in your screenname? Does that mean you think you know something about law? Well sorry to disappoint you on this one.

The following is paraphrased from a post on this subject by another CD poster:

AN ILLEGAL CONTRACT CANNOT BE ENFORCED. If the apartment is ILLEGAL, ANY lease, rental agreement, etc., is also deemed ILLEGAL since the landlord had no right to rent it in the first place.

According to your logic, I could sign a contract to sell someone a stolen car or anything else and they would still have to pay even though it's an illegal transaction.

Case law:

Misir v Gilbert (2008 NY Slip Op 50742(U))

Hart-Zafra v Singh (2005 NY Slip Op 01635)

Candela v Fried (2004 NY Slip Op 50508(U))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island