Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 21,573 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me about Commack, LI? I will be relocating to the area due to accepting a new job opportunity. If not Commack, what are some of the best, safe places to live in the surrounding area? The job is located in Commack, we will be moving from the Albany area...no kids..........and finally just not familiar with NYC or Long Island.........where do we start? Our price range is $1500.

Last edited by Chardy320; 01-07-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardy320 View Post
Can someone please tell me about Commack, LI? I will be relocating to the area due to accepting a new job opportunity. If not Commack, what are some of the best, safe places to live in the surrounding area?
Commack is nice, strong schools, taxes can be a bit high in parts. There are a number of threads on Commack if you search. The nearby towns are also all nice in my opinion. East Northport, Northport, Smithtown, Hauppauge, Kings Park. These areas have also been frequently discussed on other threads. Further detail would be needed regarding your price range, commute, etc, to expand on other areas to consider. Good luck to you in your new job!

JRP

Old 01-07-2009, 01:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Commack is nice, strong schools, taxes can be a bit high in parts. There are a number of threads on Commack if you search. The nearby towns are also all nice in my opinion. East Northport, Northport, Smithtown, Hauppauge, Kings Park. These areas have also been frequently discussed on other threads. Further detail would be needed regarding your price range, commute, etc, to expand on other areas to consider. Good luck to you in your new job!

JRP
Commack has come along way.

When I was a kid that was the town rich kids in Huntington made fun of.

Given the woeful state of RT 110 ...Whos laughing now.

crooks

Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Commack is a very nice town. Good schools, good shopping, easy access to parkways. You may also want to check out East Northport, Dix Hills, Smithtown, and Kings Park.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Do you handle rentals in the area of Commack or surrounding areas?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post

JRP
Sorry to repeat the question, I am a new member. How do you search for previously asked questions correctly?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Sorry to repeat the question, I am a new member. How do you search for previously asked questions correctly?
If you are in the general LI forum section (meaning not reading a thread) you can click on the search button across the top and it will open a search box for all threads in the forum. If you open up the search form within your thread you can only search within that topic.

Also, although rentals might be harder to find, Nesconset could be an option. Deer Park to the south for rentals as well.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
There are some rentals to be found in East Northport -usually duplexes or two-family houses. We paid $1450 for a 2BR last year.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Commack

Quote:
Can someone please tell me about Commack, LI?

For those who may not be familiar with Commack:

Commack is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the southeast part of the Town of Huntington and partly in the southwest part of the Town of Smithtown, in the northwest part of Suffolk County, along the Smithtown/Islip town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington and the Town of Smithtown is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington, and the Hamlet of Fort Salonga and the Hamlet of Kings Park in the Town of Smithtown; on the east by the Hamlet of Smithtown and the Hamlet of Hauppauge in the Town of Smithtown; on the south by the Hamlet of Brentwood in the Town of Islip (the Smithtown/Islip town line) and the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Dix Hills and the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington.

The Hamlet of Commack has a different border than does the "Commack, NY 11725" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Commack): places that have a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Commack are in the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington and in the Hamlet of Smithtown in the Town of Smithtown.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Can someone please tell me about Commack, LI? I will be relocating to the area due to accepting a new job opportunity. If not Commack, what are some of the best, safe places to live in the surrounding area? The job is located in Commack, we will be moving from the Albany area...no kids..........and finally just not familiar with NYC or Long Island.........where do we start? Our price range is $1500.
There are some decent rentals out there in your price range in the general area; usually, the cost of utilities is not included - that's probably the same as in Albany, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island