Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 AM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have noticed that whenever it rains, our lawn becomes extremely soggy.... In the front and back. It's so soggy that you can hear the squishiness and there is mud as you are stepping on the lawn. We recently brought the home we are speaking about so this is all new to us. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with where we live (Kings Park). I'm just wondering if there is something we can do to the lawn so it does not puddle up and become so messy. I would like to get a dog one day and I'd hate to have my dog come in the house with muddy feet if it is at all avoidable. I've also noticed that a lot of our grass is becoming moss. We are having 4 trees removed this week and I am hoping maybe this will help. Any info anyone can provide would be great. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
My husband and I have noticed that whenever it rains, our lawn becomes extremely soggy.... In the front and back. It's so soggy that you can hear the squishiness and there is mud as you are stepping on the lawn. We recently brought the home we are speaking about so this is all new to us. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with where we live (Kings Park). I'm just wondering if there is something we can do to the lawn so it does not puddle up and become so messy. I would like to get a dog one day and I'd hate to have my dog come in the house with muddy feet if it is at all avoidable. I've also noticed that a lot of our grass is becoming moss. We are having 4 trees removed this week and I am hoping maybe this will help. Any info anyone can provide would be great. TIA.
Alot of homes on Long Island have the OPPOSITE problem because the soil contains alot of SAND which means it drains kind of fast. Depends on the individual piece of property but many of us have to water that much more because it drains kind of fast.

Basically anywhere on the South Shore from Massapequa Park eastward used to be part of the sandy Pine Barrens. I have even seen surviving patches of pitch pines here and there on the North Shore, so those places may have sandy soil also.

Your lawns problem however, may be you have unusually dense clay like soil or you are at the bottom of a small valley. Most likely however, is that the property is simply not graded properly. In other words you may have to build up the ground in some areas --- especially near the house --- in order to move excess water away from where you do not want it.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Ground gets wet and then gets squishy. I kinda thought that's what supposed to happen.
Keep in mind that the rain we got in the last 48 hours fell on some pretty frozen ground, thus puddling will occur.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
If I am thinking of this correctly...Kings Park is right near Sunken Meadow...which has a lot of tidal flats and marshes. I wonder if its just that you have a high water table?

This past summer was I think the 3rd wettest in the last 100 years also.

Do you have a basement...and if so is there any evidence of water?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
If I am thinking of this correctly...Kings Park is right near Sunken Meadow...which has a lot of tidal flats and marshes. I wonder if its just that you have a high water table?

This past summer was I think the 3rd wettest in the last 100 years also.

Do you have a basement...and if so is there any evidence of water?
I'm about 2 miles or 2 1/2 miles from Sunken Meadow. I'm right near Pulaski Road right off the Sunken Meadow. I should have mentioned that I am at the bottom of a hill which is owned by Town of Smithtown..not sure if that matters. There are a lot of trees in that hilly section that they own...not sure if this would matter.

I know when we got the inspection done, the inspector told us there was an area that we would need to regrade the land (small section) b/c he could tell water was trickling down the foundation into the unfinished part of the basement. I planned on getting this done around spring time so that we could have the landscapers do it at that time. Also, to be honest with you, I can't begin to tell you how dry it feels in my basement. Whenever I walk and then touch something (whether it be to pet my cat or to turn a light on), I get shocked which makes us think that it's really dry down there. My upstairs is like this as well... It was worse last week. I'm waiting for the furnace guy to get here to do a service and to also replace the filter and clean my humidifier that I have through the system. We haven't used it b/c the inspecotor said it was dirty. BUT...if the wetness outside was so bad for the foundation, wouldn't this make it not so dry in the basement? There is an area that you can see which looks like it's been wet (sheetrock)..and it's exactly where the inspector told us about. As for the rest of the basement, it's completely finished..... Would I see anything coming through the paneling if it were bad? I have white paneling (not painted, original).

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 PM

88 posts, read 480,989 times
A common problem on Long Island. Your lawn has probably got a few inches of top soil sitting on top of a foot or so of clay. There are two ways you can fight it. One is buy topsoil and build up the yard close to the house and slope the lawn so it drains to the edges. You have to be careful doing this that you don't flood your neighbors yard. Or you can get a posthole digger and a bag of topsoil or compost and go around to all the wet spots in the lawn and dig a hole through the clay and fill it with soil then seed it. This, of course, is assumng that you are not talking about puddling on frozen ground or in obvious low spots.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjes View Post
A common problem on Long Island. Your lawn has probably got a few inches of top soil sitting on top of a foot or so of clay. There are two ways you can fight it. One is buy topsoil and build up the yard close to the house and slope the lawn so it drains to the edges. You have to be careful doing this that you don't flood your neighbors yard. Or you can get a posthole digger and a bag of topsoil or compost and go around to all the wet spots in the lawn and dig a hole through the clay and fill it with soil then seed it. This, of course, is assumng that you are not talking about puddling on frozen ground or in obvious low spots.
Thanks for the info. I can have a landscaper do either of those items, right? The good thing is I am the last house on a dead end so I only have 1 neighbor to the side of me and nobody behind me or to the other side b/c it's all Town of Smithtown property (trees).

Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM

Sorry, I didn't see your post about being at the bottom of the hill before I posted. Forget the clay you have to regrade your yard away from the house, that will solve the lawn problems and the water in that one spot in the basement.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM

yes, the landscaper will be able to do that for you

Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it. I have a feeling this is going to cost mucho $$... I guess I'll find out when spring time rolls around and I consult with the landscaper.

just a quick question, I am having 3 trees pulled this week. Will this affect anything in the process? For example, make it worse? When I went out by the trees which are behind the muddy section, the tree locations seemed to be fine. I just want to be sure with me pulling a few trees in the flat section won't affect anything. They are grinding down to the stump. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: