Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 86,768 times

Advertisements

I was told the other day that if I redo my kitchen and (or) add central air conditioning to my house, the 100 amp service that the house now has probably won't be enough and I'll have to "upgrade" to 200.

I'm going to call a few electricians but in the meantime I'd really like to get an idea of what other people on Long Island have been paying for this kind of upgrade. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:28 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
I can't remember 100% but I think it was between $1000-$1500 back 4 years ago I can't remember which one as I paid one amount for demo work and one for the upgraded service.

That included upgrade to 200, new box and tranfer of everything over, and a feed from the meter. Licensed and insured. It was permitted and inspected which is important.

I believe it was B&H electric Bob being the guy. They did a quick and very neat job. If I get lazy on my remodel when I get to it, I may be hiring them again as opposed to doing it myself.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBlossomGirl View Post
I was told the other day that if I redo my kitchen and (or) add central air conditioning to my house, the 100 amp service that the house now has probably won't be enough and I'll have to "upgrade" to 200.

I'm going to call a few electricians but in the meantime I'd really like to get an idea of what other people on Long Island have been paying for this kind of upgrade. Thanks so much!
Seven years ago I paid about $2,000 for my upgrade. It included several new outlets (60+ year-old house!), including "safety" outlets in all bathrooms and an additional one in the kitchen, as well as two dedicated circuit breakers, one of which was for my home office another in the kitchen--along with new outlets. Also had them change all my outlets to grounded outlets (from 2-prong to 3-prong); they charged $10/pc for that but it was worth it to me to get it done right away, so I could just focus on moving in.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 AM

10 posts, read 86,768 times
Ouch! I guess I better put this at the top of the to-do list then, before I even start looking at kitchen displays or air conditioning systems.

I emailed the home inspector to ask why he didn't recommend upgrading. He said it was because I never mentioned to him about wanting to put in central air or a fancier kitchen. He's right, I didn't!

I've been reading about those duct-less air conditioning systems online and it sounds like one of those might be more affordable and also cost less in electricity to run.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Ouch! I guess I better put this at the top of the to-do list then, before I even start looking at kitchen displays or air conditioning systems.

I emailed the home inspector to ask why he didn't recommend upgrading. He said it was because I never mentioned to him about wanting to put in central air or a fancier kitchen. He's right, I didn't!

I've been reading about those duct-less air conditioning systems online and it sounds like one of those might be more affordable and also cost less in electricity to run.
100 amp is code, so unless he's aware of a substantial change in use, there'd be no reason to recommend it.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
I paid about $6,000 to upgrade to 200 amps, rewire a lot of my basement, run 6 high hats, redo some wiring in the attic and upstairs, and run all the lines for 2 AC compressors and air handlers. It's not cheap nowadays at all, especially if you have old wiring in your house.

Of that price, I'd say about 2,600 was purely for the upgrade in service.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:

I had a Sanyo system installed this past summer in a room which was inaccessible by the conventional CAC unit that was being installed in the rest of the house. The CAC and the Sanyo system ran almost all summer and it was far less expensive to operate both than the 3 window units I ran the year before!

I had my electrical service upgraded 2 years prior and if memory serves, it cost somewhere in the ballpark of $2K -- there were some things which needed to be done to bring things up to code where the electric actually entered the house and was conduited to the panel.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM

172 posts, read 719,032 times
when installing the duct-less air conditioning systems how many in door units can you hook up to the out side compressor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island