Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,285 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Broooklyn, but am thinking of moving out to Long Island soon. I know that the property taxes out there are higher, but what are the other local taxes like, such as village taxes? I make over 100K a year and I pay 4K a year in city taxes. Would I wind up paying that much out on the island as well?

Also, what areas have good schools and what towns are around transportation that would make it easy to get to work in the city every day?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Your choices are pretty wide open. First do you want North Shore or South Shore? How long are you willing to commute? Your property taxes will depend on the area.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:42 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyrock View Post
I currently live in Broooklyn, but am thinking of moving out to Long Island soon. I know that the property taxes out there are higher, but what are the other local taxes like, such as village taxes? I make over 100K a year and I pay 4K a year in city taxes. Would I wind up paying that much out on the island as well?

Also, what areas have good schools and what towns are around transportation that would make it easy to get to work in the city every day?

Thanks

I live in nassau county. My taxes are roughly 12,000 per year, about 8,000 of that is school tax and the rest is general and town etc.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,285 times
So then when you pay property taxes, school taxes are not part of that? Then what are some good towns that have low taxes? Which sure does not really matter, as long as it's around the LIRR.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Johnny,

Depending on where you work, I don't know how eager I would be to move to LI.

Nassau taxes are second highest in the nation.

Your tax bill is comprised of two portions: property and school.

Added to that, would be the additional surcharge added by local villages, should you choose to live in an incorporated village.

When choosing an area, for tax purposes only, look at an area where there's commercial activity, for commercial businesses absorb much of the tax burden.

Depending on what you're interested in, you might also want to consider Staten Island, for many areas in Staten Island are suburban-like, yet enjoy City taxes. Plus, Staten Island schools are generally good.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
I live in patchogue my taxes are 5900.00 for almost 1/2 acre. Close to LIRR.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:10 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyrock View Post

Thanks
Good (or perceived-as-Good) schools = higher property taxes. Can't get away from that fact.

Unless you are thinking of buying a very very very small home, I don't think you will be able to find taxes of less than 4K/yr in any good school district. I might even go so far as to say it's unlikely that you will find taxes of less than 5K/yr in a good school district (again talking about a very very small house).

You might want to look at the online Long Island Railroad map to see which LI communities have train stations in or adjacent to them. That could narrow it down a bit. Then go to the MLSLI website to see what the range of property taxes are for homes in those communities. Then research the school districts.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
More good advice from Overtaxed as usual!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island