Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,375,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
im thinking it was a crappy shot at sarcasm. lol
And that's a good one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Default Sorry, I didn't think it was that difficult to understand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Did you respond to the correct post? None of what you are stating has anything to do with what I wrote in my last post.
Other people got it (maybe didn't appreciate it, but nonetheless, got it).

Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,981,662 times
ALL of this, is just a lame attempt to "fix", temporarily, a flawed program, and keep afloat FANNIE MAE AND FREDDIE MAC.

The only thing it will accomplish is 1) bailout of folks who are trying to game the system, and 2) finance a lifestyle beyond their means.

It will all come out AGAIN, and NOTHING will be solved. More importantly, we will just waste money, and NOT learn anything.

The architects of this plan, are the same EXACT people who created our current economic woes.

Frugality may be termed the daughter of Prudence, the sister of Temperance, and the parent of Liberty. ~Samuel Johnson

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-25-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Remember, LIgirl, they are not "going to GIVE IT AWAY!!!!"

Somehow, in OBAMALAND, people who live within their means, have to support People, who want...they want MORE, and they want YOURS ! And they feel The Other Guy, has a duty and obligation to just "hand over", what someone has worked hard for.

The logic in this, is in the addled, skewed minds of people, where before they lived in Reality. Is it ANY wonder, people feel OBAMA is the Second Coming ??

This "hand out" from the Able, to the NOT Able, is going to destroy our way of Life and this Country, to the point, where there will be NOTHING, FOR ANYONE !

Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM

518 posts, read 1,824,744 times
Quote:
And that's a good one?
that wasn't sarcasm though

Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
that wasn't sarcasm though
a good putdown then.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Simple Terms

Quote:
Did you respond to the correct post? None of what you are stating has anything to do with what I wrote in my last post.
In simple terms, what I was trying to illustrate is that even though you are crunching the numbers realistically, many people will cross their fingers behind their back and tell you that you are wrong, you CAN afford half a million dollars or more because propagandizing such serves their purposes: keep the prices artificially high, sell the filthy old worn down 60 year old cape with 1 bathroom and original kitchen for half a mil plus and run like a thief in the night to pay cash for a McMansion in flyover country, while gullible buyer who was told "don't worry," s/he "should" be able to afford the inflated price is stuck with the bill and goes bankrupt. (Although mike makes a good point in that perhaps we will all be stuck with the bill, even those who got away with murder selling dump houses for insane prices because they pay taxes too.)

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM

827 posts, read 3,101,028 times
Quote:
In simple terms, what I was trying to illustrate is that even though you are crunching the numbers realistically, many people will cross their fingers behind their back and tell you that you are wrong, you CAN afford half a million dollars or more because propagandizing such serves their purposes: keep the prices artificially high, sell the filthy old worn down 60 year old cape with 1 bathroom and original kitchen for half a mil plus and run like a thief in the night to pay cash for a McMansion in flyover country, while gullible buyer who was told "don't worry," s/he "should" be able to afford the inflated price is stuck with the bill and goes bankrupt. (Although mike makes a good point in that perhaps we will all be stuck with the bill, even those who got away with murder selling dump houses for insane prices because they pay taxes too.)
I figured it was sarcasm in your original reply to my post but I didn't see how it played into what my thoughts were. Either way, I knew it was sarcastic.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I figured it was sarcasm in your original reply to my post but I didn't see how it played into what my thoughts were. Either way, I knew it was sarcastic.

You, like others in your situation, have been "OBAMA-ED" !

DEFINITION OF BEING "OBAMA-ED":

You are being "stampeded", against your better judgement, into buying something YOU KNOW you can't afford, IN THE FUTURE !

THE SCAM is so GOOD to you, NOW, you can't resist it.

THE GENERAL "YOU", "want" your first house so much, you don't care about THE FACTS...OR THE REALITY !

NOTE TO YOU AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE "SUCKED INTO THIS DREAM":

YOU, AND ALL OF US, are going to be responsible for this transaction, in the end...and "THE END", MIGHT BE....MIGHT BE, coming AND crashing "down on you" !

IN THE FUTURE, When you are thinking in RETROSPECT, about the money you are shelling out to keep from DROWNING in your new house, DO YOU THINK THAT THE CREDITORS ARE GOING TO "CARE" ABOUT YOUR GRIM CIRCUMSTANCES ?

What are you going to "say"...."the DOG" made me do it ?

Your creditors are just going to want their $$$$$, and you will have to need a huge wheel barrell to buy your Sunday Newspaper ?

BUT you will have the first home....for a little while.

AND then where are you going to live ? THE STREET ?

Here's what your second home MAY look like ? What do you think about it ?

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-26-2009 at 02:01 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM

294 posts, read 611,307 times
Quote:
I agree with you that for places where the cost of homes is much higher than the national average there should be some wiggle room on the income limits. Of course our useless legislators must have sleptwalked through the hearings. I suppose they are so used to being rich the cost of living in the NYC metro area didn't even phase them and the income limits of $75K and $150K seemed just fine. I am especially disappointed in Carolyn McCarthy especiallly for not catching this. Didn't she used to be a middle class person on Long Island?

I am glad, however, that on this thread there is evidence of some people on LI who will be able to take advantage of this first time buyer tax credit!
My sentiments exactly.

Carolyn McCarthy is my rep as well and in my opinion she is totally useless; a complete stooge that doesn't effectively represent her constituents on many issues, primarily economic ones. I've taken the time to write to her a couple of times (and have included relevant studies, articles, etc.) regarding this very issue and I've received a generic response from her staff and then a subscription to her e-mail service that tracks all of her latest votes, but absolutely no substantive response.

The entire tax code needs to be overhauled. The fact that the federal government views a family of four with AGI of $150k living on LI as being on completely equal footing with a carbon copy of that family living in Nebraska is beyond ludicrous. People are experiencing this sham right now in regards to federal stimulus eligibility, but these "wealth boundaries" extend to all sorts of financial planning/retirement tools like IRAs, certain educational savings plans, etc.

I'm positively overjoyed that the federal government has unilaterally deemed my thoroughly middle class as being wealthy. I mean it gets much too complicated for these blowhards to come up with a fair system that balances income levels against cost of living factors in a particular region, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island