Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
you can't see them until you get around the bend--too late to get off/back-up...
That's exactly why they choose exit 19N on the Southern State Parkway! I got caught in it once (unfortunately for them nothing was illegal, so they couldn't give me a ticket) and found the waiting around while they check up on me annoying.

Another spot on the Southern State eastbound that the State Troopers like to sit at is where the road goes down from 4 lanes to 3 at Exit 18 and the lane on the far right becomes exit only. If someone is in that lane and tries to get into the next lane too late (after the solid white lane divider line appears) the trooper will pull them over.

Now what I do is if I see ANY COPS DOING CHECKS OR LYING IN WAIT ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY I flash my lights like crazy to warn the oncoming traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Late at night (after midnight) there are unmarkeds (still recognizable to me) on the LIE in Queens. One of my car service drivers got pulled over with me in the car one night for "not allowing enough space between himself and the car in front of him." Well I disagreed with the cop. There was TRAFFIC. Sometimes you just cannot allow enough car lengths in between! The cop just wanted to give an easy ticket and my driver was a good target.

There is also an exit off the Cross Island where they hang out and look at inspection stickers, etc. If you are going south on the CIP it is exit 24B. If you see a lineup there and you do not have a current sticker, good license, insurance card, etc. DO NOT GET OFF THERE.

In Nassau County going west on the Southern State Parkway, the cops occasionally do the same check as above on the exit ramp to exit 19 Peninsula Blvd.
Ah, following too close on the LIE, eh. Guess what? I got a ticket for that from a big fat Italian guy in an unmarked Dodge Charger who tailgaited me...I mean right on my rear end, then pulled up next to me an very aggressively tried to cut me off...well, traffic in the center lane prevented him from doing this...and then he lights me up and gives me a ticket for following too closely..when he was driving like a lunatic and "pushing" me.

It looks like NYPD highway cops were told to hand out a lot of tailgaiting tickets by their superiors, so instead of getting actual tailgaiters, they baited people or gave them bogus tickets. At court, the judge told me that, in order to believe "my story", he'd have to believe that the cop gave me a ticket for no reason. Cops never lie, right.

Low lives.

<how long before the usual suspect cops come on saying we all deserved it and they are never wrong?>

As for the spot checks, in their defense, they are required by the state to do this, so don't take it so personally.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I notice them on weekend mornings along the GCP or Belt...and that's about it.
Yeah they hide by the gas station right after LGA and pull people over for all sorts of reasons.
I got pulled over for speeding which I was but not the speed he claimed. I had barely gotten on the highway and was doing 60. I was supposed to be covering a class somewhere n had forgotten to add it to my calendar, so the students were sitting in the classroom while I was at home. So I jumped in my car n headed out,I got on the highway and kept seeing people fly past me, so I said I'm going to speed a little today.(I had never gotten a ticket or even gone above the speed limits before this). So I went up to 60 and as soon as I saw it said 60 on my spedmeter a cop darted out from the side and basically pushed me to the breakdown lane. I've seen and heard of plenty of situations where people end up arrested or whacked for mouthing off to cops(I definitely love mouthing off n letting people have it) so I did what I have done since I was a teenager growing up in the Bronx and happened to be in cars that "matched" the description of a vehicle that was driving around, firing a gun 😑 Definitely wasn't us.... Well point is when a cop pulls me over I keep my mouth shut and let them say whatever they want. But this jerk wrote on the ticket I was going 75! I didn't even notice it until I got home, not that I was gonna challenge that guy, he looked like he would've knocked me upside my head with the butt of his gun for a question like that.

My question is: is it possible that he's speed gun thing needed to be calibrated? I have a brand new car and I had literally looked at my speed about 2 seconds before he darted at me.

Or is it possible he got the speed of the car that zoomed past me right before I joined in the speeding?

There's no way I was anywhere near 75. And the penalties for going 25 above the speed limit are drastic. 3 points on your license. I can't remember the price of the fine but it's between $275-500. And you have to take some class that costs a few hundred dollars. And my insurance will prob go up too. So it's a lot.

Any suggestions, ideas, or comments would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:26 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelsiorNYC View Post
My question is: is it possible that he's speed gun thing needed to be calibrated? I have a brand new car and I had literally looked at my speed about 2 seconds before he darted at me.
police are allow to pace you and not use a speed gun

Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Yeah they hide by the gas station right after LGA and pull people over for all sorts of reasons.
I got pulled over for speeding which I was but not the speed he claimed. I had barely gotten on the highway and was doing 60. I was supposed to be covering a class somewhere n had forgotten to add it to my calendar, so the students were sitting in the classroom while I was at home. So I jumped in my car n headed out,I got on the highway and kept seeing people fly past me, so I said I'm going to speed a little today.(I had never gotten a ticket or even gone above the speed limits before this). So I went up to 60 and as soon as I saw it said 60 on my spedmeter a cop darted out from the side and basically pushed me to the breakdown lane. I've seen and heard of plenty of situations where people end up arrested or whacked for mouthing off to cops(I definitely love mouthing off n letting people have it) so I did what I have done since I was a teenager growing up in the Bronx and happened to be in cars that "matched" the description of a vehicle that was driving around, firing a gun 😑 Definitely wasn't us.... Well point is when a cop pulls me over I keep my mouth shut and let them say whatever they want. But this jerk wrote on the ticket I was going 75! I didn't even notice it until I got home, not that I was gonna challenge that guy, he looked like he would've knocked me upside my head with the butt of his gun for a question like that.

Or is it possible he got the speed of the car that zoomed past me right before I joined in the speeding?

There's no way I was anywhere near 75. And the penalties for going 25 above the speed limit are drastic. 3 points on your license. I can't remember the price of the fine but it's between $275-500. And you have to take some class that costs a few hundred dollars. And my insurance will prob go up too. So it's a lot.

Either get a lawyer, easy as they will be mailing you, or go to court on your date with proof you have a clean license and request the DA to be lenient and reduce it down to a non moving violation, like an equipment violation. You may still have to pay a sizable fine/extortion fee, but if you can get it so you don't get any license/insurance points or have to take a class, it will be worth it.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:15 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:

Does the ticket say LASER or RADAR? Laser is locked on to your car. A radar picks up all moving traffic. The limit is like 50 there ......pretty easy to go 75 and not know it....but if you say so.

Best bet plea not guilty and go to court hope for lesser fine and points.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP52462 View Post
It's a trap to raise revenue. It's all about the $$$....
Thats basically everything in government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island