Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 21,368 times

Advertisements

My husband is a NYC P.O. who can retire in 5 years. He wants to stay for 10 more but I will fight him tooth & nail. I want to go some place with weather not so severe. I like the change of seasons just not the bitter cold...wind chills of 5 degrees? Yuck. We have 2 teenagers who will be in or about to start college in 5 years but also we have a 6 month old so schools are an issue but would send to private if we had to. We want some place that is somewhat developed..i.e. I don't mind driving 20 or 30 minutes to go shopping but don't want to drive an hour to go to the mall. And no state income tax would be better. We want safe (such as it is in today's world) and we (at least he) would need to be able to work.

I don't want to spend my golden years eating cat food on Long Island to survive.

Any suggstions? We considered Florida for a while but I would rather have more variety in the weather.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Its likely going to be quite hard to find the quality of the education and the low crime Long Island has in the South. That isn't to say the south doesn't have good areas, but as a whole we do tend to pay those high taxes for a reason. Also with schools Florida should automatically get crossed off the list.

Outside of Florida the only other states in the south with no state income tax are Texas and Tennessee.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM

285 posts, read 800,546 times
we moved to NC last year outside of Charlotte. Lots of LI'ers. my parents will join us this summer, Their neighborhood has lots of retired NYPD

great to see you have a plan, It is a lot better for us. and we are happy with the schools, they are comparable to where we were. and nice weather, it is hot in the summer, but that's ok

good luck!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
I'd say if you were willing to look into private schools...you'd open up a lot more options. Agree with Smash...avoid FL like the plague in general for public school quality. I can give you a list of relatives who suffered through their education all over the state.

What about Texas? We looked into schools on the S side of Houston (League City, Sugarland...near NASA) and weren't completely turned off. I have also heard good things about Austin and San Antonio.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
You could look into St John's County, FL (outside JAX) Whatever you do, make sure the home you buy is zoned for Nease HS.

I have family down there (ret NYPD dad and others) who love it. More seasonal than southern Florida, and for schools for the littlest one, you would be set.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM

148 posts, read 557,032 times
Im a big fan of Wilmington, NC.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
I also just retired from the NYPD and two months ago moved down south to Central Virginia just a little south of Richmond. I have 3 children in school, two 5th graders and a 2nd grader. First off the schools in Chesterfield county are great and I'm coming from Oceanside,Li. Second the people are very friendly and the neighbors have been very helpful. We got some snow yesterday and I woke up and someone shoveled my whole drive way. That doesn't sound like much until you see how deep my driveway is. Yes I left the Island because I hate the long harsh winters and the obscene taxes we pay on the Island. I traded in a 3br 1 1/2ba for a brick 6br 5ba home and are paying 7,000 less a year in taxes Also the lot is over 5x's as large great for the kids and the dog! Car and home insurance dropped in half and gas is at 1.60 a gallon right now and no more paying for heating oil. Well anyway if you have any question....feel free to PM me

Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 AM

106 posts, read 337,540 times
Get the twenty and get out!! Try Sugarland Texas, been there and it is lovely. The homes there are gorgeous. A 400K home in this area would sell for 2.5 Mil on LI or more and most of the homes are new not old like the Island.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM

73 posts, read 110,389 times
Why make his life miserable if he wants to stay? Let him do his 25, try to be SUPPORTIVE, and then leave. Women.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Whaddaya do if you want an everything bagel or some Sicilian pizza?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I also just retired from the NYPD and two months ago moved down south to Central Virginia just a little south of Richmond. I have 3 children in school, two 5th graders and a 2nd grader. First off the schools in Chesterfield county are great and I'm coming from Oceanside,Li. Second the people are very friendly and the neighbors have been very helpful. We got some snow yesterday and I woke up and someone shoveled my whole drive way. That doesn't sound like much until you see how deep my driveway is. Yes I left the Island because I hate the long harsh winters and the obscene taxes we pay on the Island. I traded in a 3br 1 1/2ba for a brick 6br 5ba home and are paying 7,000 less a year in taxes Also the lot is over 5x's as large great for the kids and the dog! Car and home insurance dropped in half and gas is at 1.60 a gallon right now and no more paying for heating oil. Well anyway if you have any question....feel free to PM me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island