Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times

Advertisements

You should move this over to the pet forum!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
My son was bitten in the face when he was 7. The people had their cute little collie mix outside playing with the kids. My son supposedly took the ball from the dog. He needed a few stitches. The people just paid the doctor bill. Was not the dogs fault. Little kids and dogs do not always go together unless supervised and always should be!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Your child was injured -- broken skin, bleeding, crying -- and this idiot doesn't have the decency to check on him? Then you take said idiot's word that the dog is current on all of it's vaccines?

I don't know who is worse.
Why am I to blame? I spoke to the pediatrician and he just received a tetnus shot, she said there wasn't much I could really do for him other then to clean it and watch the wound doesn't get infected.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,785 times
Default I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I wish my neighbor was more like you and showed concern about the ramifications of a dog bite. My son was playing in the street, with other kids, and her dog ran out of the house chased him down the street and bit his calf. He said the homeowner never came out to check on him but the daughter brought him a bandaid. When he got home he of course was crying and had a puncture wound and was bleeding. I called the woman to ask if the dog was up to date on the shots and to let her know what happened. She showed no concern for my child. She has never called to follow up. I feel she is damn lucky I didn't pursue this.
In this case, I would have followed up. I'm not saying you were wrong; you know your neighborhood situation better than I ever could. But if anyone harms my son and shows no remorse, There Will Be Blood.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Default No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
You should move this over to the pet forum!
It has an audience here. I hate when threads are plucked out of the LI forum.

I feel like a lot of contributors become City-Data Winston Smiths, coming to love Big Brother after too many visits to room 101.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Default This forum is getting ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Your child was injured -- broken skin, bleeding, crying -- and this idiot doesn't have the decency to check on him? Then you take said idiot's word that the dog is current on all of it's vaccines?

I don't know who is worse.
Can you believe what you just said to this person? Equating the parent with the negligent neighbor whose dog bit the child? How utterly rude.

This should be removed from the thread. You would never say this to someone's face; it doesn't belong here.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
In this case, I would have followed up. I'm not saying you were wrong; you know your neighborhood situation better than I ever could. But if anyone harms my son and shows no remorse, There Will Be Blood.

I couldn't agree with you more. My brother had to talk me down.lol (he lives in the same development)

Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
He probably didn't say anything, because he was an "illegal" !
And you base this conclusion on exactly WHAT?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
If your dog does not have a history of biting, I think all you'd get is a warning and that you would have to take precautions in the future since your dog has bitten someone in the past. I believe the unpredictable nature of the animal would be taken into account as well as a history up to that point of the dog not biting someone and you'd just be given a warning the first time and probably be asked to pay any medical bills. However, if there was a second time they'd come down hard on you and you'd owe more than just medical bills because you would have prior knowledge that this sort of thing could occur. From this point forward, I'd restrain the dog from interacting with servicemen just to be on the safe side.

Also, if I were you, I'd gather together all the documentation I had on my dog, showing that he/she is up to date on shots to provide to the guy so that he knows that he's not at risk of Rabies or something like that. It shows that you're looking out for him and gives him some peace of mind. That would be my only real concern if I got bit and I felt that the owner was truly surprised and sorry. If your dog is not up to date on shots, there could be a big problem there. That would show you are not a responsible dog owner, which would open you up to hefty fines and the possible loss of your dog's life.

Also, who initiated the contact? Did the workman try to pet or initiate contact with the dog? He may have cornered and scared her, causing her to bite in warning. Or did she sneak attack him? If he initiated contact, he probably realizes he shouldn't have and will let it go. We don't like to admit to others that we flubbed up! So if his actions caused the bite, he'll probably just suck it up and move on with his life. If the dog bit him out of the blue, I'd be a little more concerned though.

On LI, many people are looking for someone to sue and get rich off off, so I'd be prepared with paperwork, but I probably would not be at the point of finding a lawyer. It's probably going to amount to nothing. But it's better to be prepared in just in case. Often if you prepare for the worst, it doesn't happen.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,387 times
If you haven't heard by now, you won't hear ANYTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: