Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM

12 posts, read 25,079 times

Advertisements

Wow, after reading some of these threads I think I should lock my doors and not even think about putting my house on the market.

We are starting to look at houses in the Northport, Commack, Three Village, Elwood and Mt. Sinai school districts and some of what I've read freaks me out. (These areas are close to where we both work.)

We are just a regular, working/middle class family looking for a nice community, welcoming neighbors, and a good school. We are quiet, not given to hosting loud parties, keep our yard neat, our house well-kept and are nice neighbors.

We can't afford a McMansion with high taxes so we know we will always have one of the smaller homes in the neighborhood and that's fine with us. I just don't want to move to an area where (according to here) if you are new you will be given the cold shoulder (Mt. Sinai) or the district has a better reputation in the newspaper than in reality (Three Village).

What in heck should we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 PM

432 posts, read 1,595,872 times
Don't believe the hype.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,507,162 times
If you have a middle class budget, buy in a middle class district. You don't want your kids to be the have nots of the school.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 PM

852 posts, read 2,019,748 times
Default Don't listen to these cranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrorke View Post
Wow, after reading some of these threads I think I should lock my doors and not even think about putting my house on the market.

We are starting to look at houses in the Northport, Commack, Three Village, Elwood and Mt. Sinai school districts and some of what I've read freaks me out. (These areas are close to where we both work.)

We are just a regular, working/middle class family looking for a nice community, welcoming neighbors, and a good school. We are quiet, not given to hosting loud parties, keep our yard neat, our house well-kept and are nice neighbors.

We can't afford a McMansion with high taxes so we know we will always have one of the smaller homes in the neighborhood and that's fine with us. I just don't want to move to an area where (according to here) if you are new you will be given the cold shoulder (Mt. Sinai) or the district has a better reputation in the newspaper than in reality (Three Village).

What in heck should we do?
Too many cranks in here. Plus, writing anonymously makes you bold and vulgar. That helps explain the tenor of this forum.

I moved here less than 2 years ago from Florida. I paid significantly more for my house than it was worse, I'm probably under water, and I absolutely love it here and will never regret leaving Florida and choosing to live here.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM

342 posts, read 1,095,740 times
We are new to Mt. Sinai and I don't feel the cold shoulder. I will say that during winter months many families stay in doors and spend alot of time with their extended families (holidays). So, it's not been a terribly social time. However, spring is coming and I've been told there will be lots of activities. Can't really speak about the other areas, except to say we looked at all those areas and chose Mt. Sinai. The school is very good (not great though), seems pretty family friendly and I haven't heard alot of talk about big high school parties with lots of drinking and drugs. That's a good thing. Good luck with your selection process!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,199,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
If you have a middle class budget, buy in a middle class district. You don't want your kids to be the have nots of the school.
Excatly.

I'd check out Kings Park to the west and Rocky Point to the East.

Theyre both affordable, friendly little North Shore towns with good schools and tremendous QOL.

PM me if you want specifics on RP.

Tom Moser can help you with KP.

Best of luck

Crooks

Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 PM

Good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post

Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks,

Rocky Point may be a bit too far for us but I'll look into KP.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Excatly.

I'd check out Kings Park to the west and Rocky Point to the East.

Theyre both affordable, friendly little North Shore towns with good schools and tremendous QOL.

PM me if you want specifics on RP.

Tom Moser can help you with KP.

Best of luck

Crooks

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM

659 posts, read 2,521,041 times
Many people here exaggerate about towns/stereotypes/situations.

If one bad incident happens...the town is suddenly shot. Old outdated stereotypes from 20 years ago are spoken as fact here.

I like this forum to keep up with LI news/current events, but I would never avoid buying in an area due to stuff written here. If I listened to some people on this forum, I may have passed up the town I moved to when I bought my house 3 years ago...and I love where I live.

Do what is best for yourself and don't worry about what people write. Unless a town has an extremely bad reputation (very few) don't concern yourself with the naysayers.

Everyone has an opinion..but I have found few that are truly based in fact

Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,199,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrorke View Post
Good point. I hadn't thought about that.
Its an excellent point.

We're from what was working class Stony Brook.
The gap between the haves and have everythings is huge there.

Its a beautiful area but if youre middle class youll have a hard time keeping up with the Joneses Schwatzes Wangs etc.

We couldve bought there but chose Rocky Point because we didnt want our kids to grow up with the competitive expectations of extreme wealth.
We couldnt be happier with our choice.

If you decide on coming East, check out Sound Beach, Miller Place, Wading River (SWR) and Ridge too.

crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-19-2009 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island