Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times

Advertisements

I like a house that has asbestos sidings and an underground oil tank....
It was built in 1980, the exterior sidings look good to me, no breaks/cracks, and I plan to abandon the oil tank (either before or after closing).....
It does not have a basement.

The neighbors house also has asbestos siding.... I have heard bad things about asbestos once its cracked open or broken... how it releases the fibers etc that cause cancer.... I am scared about that, but lets say one shingle does get damaged.... does that mean I have to change the whole sidings or I can just repair the one siding shingle ?

Also, My friend said Oh... it was built in 1980, so it should have porcelain and not asbestos.... you think its true ?
If the fibers are airborne then you have the risk of inhaling them.... as I said the neighbors house also has the same.... and I can't control what they do or how they take care of it.... so it could come into my yard/house from their house too right ? Am I being very childish and paranoid here ?

Lets say the seller refuses to abandon the oil tank. So once I buy I get someone to do it for me.... is it a straightforward process ... or depending on some finding I might have to pay a lot out of my pocket to legally abandon it ? Is this a normal occurrence here on LI ?

Sorry for so many questions..... do you think its worth looking into these issue or just walk away ? I'm a first time buyer so these things are scaring the $%&# out of me !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
It was built in 1980, the exterior sidings look good to me, no breaks/cracks, and I plan to abandon the oil tank (either before or after closing).....

The neighbors house also has asbestos siding.... I have heard bad things about asbestos once its cracked open or broken... how it releases the fibers etc that cause cancer.... I am scared about that, but lets say one shingle does get damaged.... does that mean I have to change the whole sidings or I can just repair the one siding shingle ?

Also, My friend said Oh... it was built in 1980, so it should have porcelain and not asbestos.... you think its true ?
If the fibers are airborne then you have the risk of inhaling them.... as I said the neighbors house also has the same.... and I can't control what they do or how they take care of it.... so it could come into my yard/house from their house too right ? Am I being very childish and paranoid here ?

Lets say the seller refuses to abandon the oil tank. So once I buy I get someone to do it for me.... is it a straightforward process ... or depending on some finding I might have to pay a lot out of my pocket to legally abandon it ? Is this a normal occurrence here on LI ?

Sorry for so many questions..... do you think its worth looking into these issue or just walk away ? I'm a first time buyer so these things are scaring the $%&# out of me !!
There are thousands of houses on LI that have old asbestos shingles on them....the house I grew up in had them. I don't think they are an issue unless you start breaking them off and cracking.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:23 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
a house built after 1972 with "asbestos" shingles, does not contain asbestos. They just call them that. The asbestos fibers were replaced with fiberglass, and some other type of material.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. Currently in contract to buy a home with asbestos sidings and an underground oil tank. I plan on abandoning the tank in a couple of years.

Do a search on this forum for underground oil tank and you will find a lot of useful info.

Last edited by TMing; 06-19-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
If you don't have a basement and you abandon your oil tank, how are you going to heat your house? Gas?

Quote:

Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
If you don't have a basement and you abandon your oil tank, how are you going to heat your house? Gas?

The new Oil tank will be above the ground.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
I guess you will have to create a space for the oil tank in your house. Without a basement, it might be eating into some space.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I guess you will have to create a space for the oil tank in your house. Without a basement, it might be eating into some space.
No, usually you would put it on the side of your house, almost hugging the wall, but on the outside. Sometimes people put a casing on it, but its definitely placed outside.

Are you from Queens ? There is no fear of people stealing oil from the tank.... at least not yet !! I'm just kidding....

Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
To the Op...show me a pic. & I will let you know if I would buy it.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are thousands of houses on LI that have old asbestos shingles on them....the house I grew up in had them. I don't think they are an issue unless you start breaking them off and cracking.
aren't they illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: