Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 AM

73 posts, read 292,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
They built a "permanent" structure without permits. I'm sure that will ring a bell with the town. Nothing gets attention like uncollected revenue
A halfpipe is not a permanent structure and probably does not need a permit (unless it has concrete footers and is attached to the ground). A halfpipe that size is probably just sitting on the ground. It's like a shed in your back yard for all intensive purposes from the town's point of view.

Your main avenue of complaint should be the noise. Those ramps are like speaker boxes and the opening inthe back is probably facing your yard whoch makes it sound louder than it probably sounds in their yard. It's only going to get worse as it gets warmer so definately try to get the neighbors to understand the noise factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 98,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieskier View Post
I would just ask them kindly to not skate on it after a certain time at night and if they want to skate on it after that time deadline, they should ask if it would bother you first. Hopefully they are receptive to that...

ETA: maybe just set the time deadline for weekdays?

I'm wondering about all our neighbors with pools and how loud and late their pool parties might get. We won't say anything and hopefully, they won't mind us and our friends enjoying our patio later at night.

i do have neighbors who have pool parties,and we also have parties but the whole thing is consideration, i love my yard and just dont want teenagers looking at everything i do,if i want to have a romp with my husband at nite under the tree i dont want a audience.It's not even the noise,they could have put it on the other side where everyone front yard is along the street. They just pushed the envelope and wanted to get under our skin.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM

73 posts, read 292,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner1972 View Post
to kenny guido
why do you think it's not legal.... maybe if i had some terms to use,it would help when i call again.
it seems they have no rules or regulations on this.....they have an idea what it is,but that is as far as it goes. I really dont think they understand how LARGE it is and how close to my property.
Unfortunately, how close it is to your property is not a legal issue unless it's leaning on your fence or accross the property line. They paid and have the right to do almost anything on their property. Towns only have limited say as to what you can do in your backyard. The homeowner has a responsibility to everyone on their property though so if someone gets hurt on that ramp, the homeowner could get sued for the medical costs. That would probably convince them to tear it down .
As for the town building a skate park, I believe they are expensive to build and very expensive to insure for liability. That might be hard for some areas to get that approved and once it's built, it has to be properly maintained to be safe.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
You aren't asking for help. Anyone offering a perspective different from your own is rejected by you. Do what you want.

You've already decided that these people, who are already breaking whole hosts of other laws far more serious, are out to "get under your skin" by building a large toy for their kids. You know what? They may not have ever thought about you. You may not be who they think about when they consider entertaining their children - this may actually be the reason for the problem.

Do what you want, and tell us how it goes. Bye bye.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM

well, I guess i will wait and see,if it stays i will ask the kids not to do it late and at least give me one side of privacy where the kids are not sitting 15ft in the air looking down at me.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napjester666 View Post
A halfpipe is not a permanent structure and probably does not need a permit (unless it has concrete footers and is attached to the ground). A halfpipe that size is probably just sitting on the ground. It's like a shed in your back yard for all intensive purposes from the town's point of view.

Your main avenue of complaint should be the noise. Those ramps are like speaker boxes and the opening inthe back is probably facing your yard whoch makes it sound louder than it probably sounds in their yard. It's only going to get worse as it gets warmer so definately try to get the neighbors to understand the noise factor.
If you built a shed larger than the one existing on the property you are supposed to notify the town. Seeing as how the half-pipe is a new structure I think it qualifies. As for the concrete footers thats not for her to investigate it's the towns responsibility to make that call.

The whole purpose is to get SOMEONE with authority involved. Cops only respond so many times to noise complaints if at all. The Town has nothing to do all day BUT to check for these things. And I think in these pressing financial times the town will be out looking for some extra cashola.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
If you built a shed larger than the one existing on the property you are supposed to notify the town. Seeing as how the half-pipe is a new structure I think it qualifies. As for the concrete footers thats not for her to investigate it's the towns responsibility to make that call.

The whole purpose is to get SOMEONE with authority involved. Cops only respond so many times to noise complaints if at all. The Town has nothing to do all day BUT to check for these things. And I think in these pressing financial times the town will be out looking for some extra cashola.
This is all I want, some regulations,time periods to use it,height requirements. I mean.. my kids play baseball, but i am not going to build a batting cage next to my neighbors fence. There has to be some rules on how many amusement activities one can have in their yard.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,611 times
If they are drinking with mom home just nail them under the social host law.
The dirtbag down the block from me made a drit bike track in his back yard.
All day long every weekend brrrrawwwwww...... It was a nightmare.
Town shut them down AND busted them under social host law.
Track went bye-bye.
I hate white trash.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
To the Op......go buy some 15' pine trees and place them along the fence where the skate ramp is so no one can see in!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Good idea Roc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island