Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 PM

135 posts, read 514,808 times

Advertisements

Will be househunting soon. Are there any areas I should avoid in Ronkonkoma for a home purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
well i have heard that around the lake, there are problems with basement flooding. so just be weary of that

Old 11-25-2008, 04:15 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
I would try to stick with developments, don't go too close to the lake due to flooding, and avoid the area just north of the LIE and west of Nicolls due to the many airplanes that fly overhead (unless this is not a concern for you). I really like the development east of Gatelot Ave, just south of Smith Road. If you're looking in Lake Ronkonkoma, I would recommend that you also check out Lake Grove, Holbrook, and Holtsville.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
The area that is in Connetquot schools, West of Ocean Avenue, North of Motor Parkway, East of Old Nichols road, South of Smithtown Avenue/Portion Road is pretty run down looking. It isn't dangerous or anything, it's just not ideal. A few nice houses, but many small beat up older summer cottage looking ones also.

The area closer to the airport is actually better kept, but you have to deal with planes sometimes.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 AM

135 posts, read 514,808 times
Default How about Hawkins Ave?

I'm interested in a home about a mile and a half north of LIE on Hawkins Ave.? I think is about a half mile or more from the Lake. Anyone know how this area is and if this road is extremely busy or dangerous? Also, how is Lake Ronkonkoma to visit. I see there are parks around it and it is a huge lake. Is it nice to go to?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
I'm interested in a home about a mile and a half north of LIE on Hawkins Ave.? I think is about a half mile or more from the Lake. Anyone know how this area is and if this road is extremely busy or dangerous? Also, how is Lake Ronkonkoma to visit. I see there are parks around it and it is a huge lake. Is it nice to go to?

See my post in the other thread.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Lake Ronkonkoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
I'm interested in a home about a mile and a half north of LIE on Hawkins Ave.? I think is about a half mile or more from the Lake.

That home appears to be in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma ("Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address) and not in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma.

It's important in understanding the local geography to know that Lake Ronkonkoma is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Lake Ronkonkoma:

Lake Ronkonkoma is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the southeast part of the Town Smithtown and partly in the center-west part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the Town of Smithtown and the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by Hamlet of Nesconset in the Town of Smithtown and the Village of Lake Grove and the Hamlet of Centereach in the Town of Brookhaven; on the east by the Hamlet of Centereach and the Hamlet of Holtsville in the Town of Brookhaven; on the south and west by the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma in the Town of Islip (the Brookhaven/Islip Town line and the Smithtown/Islip Town line).

Lake Ronkonkoma is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779", "Nesconset, NY 11767", "Lake Grove, NY 11755" and "Holbrook, NY 11741" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 25,458 times
Default moving to Ronkonkoma

Before you move here, you need to learn to say it
Other than that, this is a pretty family oriented working class town. If you're buying, I would avoid areas immediately around the lake. While the lake is very nice there is low income housing, a rehab facility and low water areas that make living there less than ideal.

Hawkins Avenue is like Lake Ronkonkoma's (the residential area of Ronkonkoma is generally referred to as Lake Ronkonkoma) Main Street. The kids have homecoming parade down Hawkins and annual street fairs and such go on there. About a mile and a half north of the Long Island Expressway sounds like it would be just around that area of town.

I'm content living here myself, and I have for about 43 years... most all my life.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 24,438 times
Default "Lake Hills"

If you have not purchased a house yet, look in Lake Hills. Everybody takes decent care of property (except me, I killed my sod and a couple mountain laurels). The property tax is reasonable because of the industrial property in Connetquot School District. The houses here have tended to retain value even in the massive economic dip and there are not that many foreclosures or vacant houses (only 4 that I know of). It seems that there is one on Deer Rd near Pine that appears to be in nicer shape, maybe look at it a few times. Good luck. It is nice here, but we are AT the beginning of rush hour traffic because every Long Islander is trained to use the brakes at any hill or curve and I think we have both hills and curves on the LIE here, yes? LOL

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetwenty4 View Post
If you have not purchased a house yet, look in Lake Hills. Everybody takes decent care of property (except me, I killed my sod and a couple mountain laurels). The property tax is reasonable because of the industrial property in Connetquot School District. The houses here have tended to retain value even in the massive economic dip and there are not that many foreclosures or vacant houses (only 4 that I know of). It seems that there is one on Deer Rd near Pine that appears to be in nicer shape, maybe look at it a few times. Good luck. It is nice here, but we are AT the beginning of rush hour traffic because every Long Islander is trained to use the brakes at any hill or curve and I think we have both hills and curves on the LIE here, yes? LOL
the lake hills section is pretty nice, but the drawback of that is that the name is very literal lol.... the hills are EXTREME over there.. like your front door may be higher up than you neighbors roof... its pretty crazy. sometimse u come up over a hill and theres a stop sign on the other side of it that you couldnt even see at all until u were on top. but the houses and properties are mostly pretty nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island