Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 PM

180 posts, read 312,396 times

Advertisements

My grandfather owns a small apartment complex in New Hyde Park. He said he could do $1600-1650 for a 2 room, but maybe you could talk him down if you have a good record? How bent are you on living by yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 PM

11 posts, read 34,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
My grandfather owns a small apartment complex in New Hyde Park. He said he could do $1600-1650 for a 2 room, but maybe you could talk him down if you have a good record? How bent are you on living by yourself?

I would rather perform a hernia operation on myself using nothing more than a wooden spoon than live with a roommate.

$1600 is over my budget though. All things considered (including utilities and cable) I'm trying to keep it under $1500.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln4Truth View Post
Archstone must be on drugs by the way. $3000 a month to live next to a Target superstore and then some, and people wonder why it's always noisy. Long Island, sigh.
The deal with this is that the Archstone complex is almost brand new and those who want things brand spanking new are willing and able to pay that. That is EXTREMELY rare on Long Island. I would say that for the most part, the building of rental apartment complexes in Nassau ground to almost a halt since the 1970's (just like it did in Manhattan) because they found rental complexes not to be as profitable. Then with the advent of converting to coops and condos, there were even less rental buildings left.

There are some coops and condos in Nassau that allow owners to rent their units. However, it will not be by a management company, but by individual apartment owners. If you want to rent one, your best bet is to look in the small throwaway Pennysaver type papers for owner ads, check stores near buildings you like that have bulletin boards, and contact realtors in the area. Please note that while these apartments generally have improvements, the majority will be older with the youngest being built in the 1970s. There are some that have amenities like pools.

For the few all rental buildings left in Nassau, they will also be of the same vintage as the coops and condos. Many are much older. However, if the older building is well-maintained, you can actually get a nice apartment inside it, especially because the rooms are usually much larger than those in younger buildings, most have nice wood floors, and they have more closets than in younger buildings. However, if you really want to have washer/dryer in unit, dishwasher, central air, etc., which comes standard in the building, you need to get something very new like the above-mentioned Archstone or rent a coop or condo that the owner had lived in and improved.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
I have mentioned this a few times in other threads, and its not nassau county but pretty close to it, Bayside queens has a huge supply of apts in that range, some nice, some not so nice, and the area is pretty cool. NYC income tax becomes a factor though, but it might be worth looking into. You can get many listings off craigslist.
I like Bayside too; it has LIRR to the City, plus it has a nice main shopping, bar and restaurant district. A concern for some would be that most of the buildings are not very new. Another concern is parking. If don't have an assigned parking spot (that you pay extra $$$ for naturally) you have to park on the street and finding on-street parking in Queens and dealing with the "alternate side of the street parking" and myriad other parking rules can be very wearing.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I would rather perform a hernia operation on myself using nothing more than a wooden spoon than live with a roommate.
With all the horror stories I have heard about roommates, I don't blame you!

Quote:
$1600 is over my budget though. All things considered (including utilities and cable) I'm trying to keep it under $1500.
To keep it all under $1,500 comfortably I would say you should look for something $1200 rent maximum. However, you may not find that kind of rent for a 1 bedroom in your target locations, Roslyn and Sea Cliff. You could find that kind of rent on the south shore of Nassau in an older building.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
However, if you really want to have washer/dryer in unit, dishwasher, central air, etc., which comes standard in the building, you need to get something very new like the above-mentioned Archstone or rent a coop or condo that the owner had lived in and improved.
Thanks for the helpful info regarding apartment complexes on LI, it certainly explains a lot of things.

Bayside might be an option, but once the added taxes, parking, and lengthier commute is taken into consideration I'm pretty certain I'll wind up paying the same, if not more than if I stayed in Nassau County.

Flower Gardens in Roslyn has studios that have the best pricing. Since a studio is all I need I might grab a unit once one becomes available. Legal duplexes are also a viable option if I can find one.

Here's a question, since co-ops/condos are rented out by the apartment owner rather than the management property, do I still enjoy the same tenant rights as though I were renting from a normal apartment complex? Who would be responsible for maintenance, and so forth?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Here's a question, since co-ops/condos are rented out by the apartment owner rather than the management property, do I still enjoy the same tenant rights as though I were renting from a normal apartment complex? Who would be responsible for maintenance, and so forth?
Yes, you do enjoy the same tenant rights as any other leaseholder. As for maintenance, in the common areas the management company takes care of everything. Inside the apartment itself though, the owner of the unit is responsible for arranging for and paying for repairs. Sometimes instead of calling outside contractors, the owners use the building's superintendants or maintenance workers, but they pay them for the job done within the apartment. As a renter, none of that would be your responsibility (unless, of course, you yourself caused damage and it was not normal wear and tear).

Another thing to look out for when renting is whether the heat/hot water is INCLUDED in the rent or whether they have set up a system with separate boilers/hot water heaters and each tenant has to pay their own. In that case, the landlord should be charging less rent than the traditional apartment where heat/hot water is included, but if they can trick the unwary into paying more, they will. This is not happening that much in buildings (yet) probably because it costs so much to convert, but is getting more common in two family/duplex houses.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Another thing to look out for when renting is whether the heat/hot water is INCLUDED in the rent or whether they have set up a system with separate boilers/hot water heaters and each tenant has to pay their own. In that case, the landlord should be charging less rent than the traditional apartment where heat/hot water is included, but if they can trick the unwary into paying more, they will. This is not happening that much in buildings (yet) probably because it costs so much to convert, but is getting more common in two family/duplex houses.
That's interesting, because that happens to be precisely the situation for my folks. They live in a adult community where you have to pay separately for heat/water, and yet the mother-... excuse me, the scum sucking pigface landlord is charging $1600 a month, meanwhile we discovered a nearby adult community was charging only $1350 WITH gas/heat included. The only difference is that there is no washer/dryer, but there is a hookup for it. The same landlord sent a threatening letter to an old lady living in one of the units demanding that she agree to a two year lease or she would be in a world of poopie. Amazing how ugly landlords can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island