Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
No offense but this is the internet and I don't believe you. I have known people that have been disabled and are really screwed up and none of them sound like you.

but it appears like you are stirring the pot unless you prove it.
Wait you know everyone on the force that got out 3/4's How am I stirring the pot, I just tell the truth. All of my posts are there to read from day 1.... again JUST PROVE IT TO ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
When you were still living on LI, you were paying more, but didn't you have health insurance and a job or career?

I wish you the best of luck on your job hunt and hope everything starts to turn in the right direction for you. You made the move off of LI to better your QOL, not struggle to pay for healthcare and have jobs snatched out from under you. Good luck.

Actually I've given up on the job hunt.

I'm finding ways to make money here with my entrepreneurial spirit.. .something that couldn't be done in NY. There are many opportunities here because it is not overdeveloped. "See a Need, Fill a Need"..(from a children's movie.. but a great line) and am working ondoing that right now.

In NY. you don't have the space to breath in order to do things because if you stop for just a second your dead in the water.

Things are looking up.. the recession is a killer and hopefully that turns around.. but once it does.. man life will be amazing.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
When you were still living on LI, you were paying more, but didn't you have health insurance and a job or career?
If I recall her story correctly, she and her husband worked in their own business on LI and had to pay their own health insurance. It was not any cushier for her on LI.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Wait you know everyone on the force that got out 3/4's How am I stirring the pot, I just tell the truth. All of my posts are there to read from day 1.... again JUST PROVE IT TO ME
Mike,

This poster doesn't want "the truth" to get out. That's why they are challenging you. Any of the rest of us who have read your posts can say that there really is no reason for you to be lying.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 AM

292 posts, read 820,277 times
You're fighting a losing battle Tristansmommy - you've got a retired cop (Mike) and a public school teacher - DeadPool - (who sends his child to private school, natch) battling it out with you. Don't even strain your fingertips by writing anymore.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
My husband and I fled Long Island in October. We just couldn't take it with the high cost of living which includes overpriced homes and outrageously high taxes.

My brother, who lives in Denver, frequents the Newsday.com site.. after all Long Island was our home for 25+ years and so we do get nostalgic and are curious as to what is going on. Apparently there was an article about pensions and a searchable database. My brother searched the pensions of our former teachers, super etc.

Here is the email:

WTF is damned right! It's lunacy. Long Islanders.. you are being raped. You can continue to bend over and take it, or you can do something about it..like ban together and breat this ridiculous cycle...

I left.. I have better things to do with my time and my life than to fight for something we shouldn't have to fight against. I'd rather have more of a quality of life than put up with this nonsense.

Anyone thinking of moving to LI. It's beautiful.. but it's so not worth the price tag you are going to pay..one that continues to climb. Unless you are pulling in well over $150K as a family, you won't ever be "comfortable" there. Costs are out of control.. and so is the beaurocracy!
What's up with the database disappearing? Isn't this supposed to be public information? They can't hide forever.

You know, as a die-hard Long Islander, even I am getting discouraged. If this doesn't at least START getting resolved, even I will be looking elsewhere where public employees are not cradle to grave wards of the taxpayers who are held hostage to them.

We can't afford to support these public sector employees feasting at the trough anymore.

Sorry, but the private sector has had theirs: downsizing, offshoring, job cuts, pay cuts, 401(k)s instead of pensions, and I suspect before long "health care savings accounts" instead of health insurance. None of you at the public sector trough supported our cause then, yet you expect us to support you indefinitely. Well we can't afford it anymore. The party is over. Even the current governor of NYS has realized it and is acting accordingly.

If you don't like it, get a job in the private sector and see how the rest of us are doing.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 AM

27 posts, read 63,330 times
Meanwhile, our social security system is still on track to go under without enough funding within a few years. So are we concluding COPS = CROOKS? or Is our social system just this mess up?

Life is not always fair but to read about someone retiring in their 30-40s and get a free ride for the rest of their life at our expenses...it makes you wonder about things.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Actually I've given up on the job hunt.

I'm finding ways to make money here with my entrepreneurial spirit.. .something that couldn't be done in NY. There are many opportunities here because it is not overdeveloped. "See a Need, Fill a Need"..(from a children's movie.. but a great line) and am working ondoing that right now.

In NY. you don't have the space to breath in order to do things because if you stop for just a second your dead in the water.

Things are looking up.. the recession is a killer and hopefully that turns around.. but once it does.. man life will be amazing.
Good luck with the new endeavor!

We've been very fortunate (knock on wood) so far during this recession -- we've hired another employee, hopefully the pace will continue in this direction.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollytech View Post
Life is not always fair but to read about someone retiring in their 30-40s and get a free ride for the rest of their life at our expenses...it makes you wonder about things.
Plus, they're allowed to WORK and still collect.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM

The databases for searching pensions of school district and local government employees is currently up:

The story:

'Jumbo pensions' spark state funding debate -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-enpens0712830048jun05,0,1931444.story - broken link)

Teacher Retirement System Database:
Teachers Retirement System Database - March 2009

Government Employee Retirement System Database:
Employee Retirement System Database - March 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island