Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to update someones question about test scores at Catholic schools. The school our sons attend just posted their scores on their website. My son is in 4th grade so their scores were ; ELA ; 90%, Math 100%. Dont know about the science yet. 8th grade ; ELA ; 100%, Math ; 94%. 5th grade ; Social studies ; 100%.

Just for your interest as someone was having a problem getting the scores.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 AM

124 posts, read 292,990 times
Apparently you can educate a child in private school for 1/2 what it cost to educate them in public. And apparently do it well.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherNYer View Post
Apparently you can educate a child in private school for 1/2 what it cost to educate them in public. And apparently do it well.

But we still pay the total amount of taxes plus catholic education. So as a taxpayer, it is expensive. But because of all the fluff in public schools, it is triple the price to educate a child in the public system.

However, my most recent experience with public school was ; my son gets resource reading and I go to the IEP meeting annually to make sure he gets the help he needs. In 2008, the board did say that he would get OT as a push in. That was definately mentioned. The oT was pulling him out of the class to help him which was ok with me. When I mentioned again about the Push in for 2009/2010, the person on the special ed committe said ; oh, no we do not offer that to private schools, only if he was in public would he get this and denied what was said last year. Later that day, the resource teacher called me to verify what was said last year. The public system has a HUGE problem paying for anything when it comes to private schools. However, do we have a choice in our taxes ; nope.

This is not the first time this particular person has suggested that if only the child was in public he would get more help ; its happened to many parents. Funny thing is that my friends son is in public and has add and gets absolutely no help at all.

d

Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Just wanted to update someones question about test scores at Catholic schools. The school our sons attend just posted their scores on their website. My son is in 4th grade so their scores were ; ELA ; 90%, Math 100%. Dont know about the science yet. 8th grade ; ELA ; 100%, Math ; 94%. 5th grade ; Social studies ; 100%.

Just for your interest as someone was having a problem getting the scores.

D
My children took the ELAs and they are not given scores of up to 100%.

Is the school trying to indicate that 100% of children tested received a score of 3 or better?

For example:

Suffolk County MATH 91.1% of 4th graders scored 3 or higher. The mean was 695.

88.9% of 8th graders scored 3 or higher; mean 683.

Suffolk ELA: 74.8% 4th grade 3 or better; mean 676.9
8th grade 78.8% 3 or better; mean 667.71

NYSED:IRS:English Language Arts and Mathematics Assessment Results (http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/irts/ela-math/ - broken link)

There is no mention of the science exam -- I am curious because my youngest had taken that this year, too.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 AM

They havent the scores of the science yet. The teacher said all the children got either a 3 or 4 in the tests. We do not have individual marks yet ; waiting patiently for report card next week.

will update then again.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,945 times
100% means passing with a score of 3 or better.Anyone with a 2 or below is failing.

Those are great scores. Even though I am a public school teacher, I am very pro-Catholic school. You can't beat the education there.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,990 times
I heard that private schools use something called ERB ( Educational Records Board). Is it true that ERB is supposed to be a tougher test than the standard state tests that public schools use?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:28 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,904 times
ERB is for fancy private schools.

The lower cost of a Catholic education is somewhat misleading, because they do not provide special education services. That is not "fluff".

Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM

124 posts, read 292,990 times
Catholic schools do provide services for special education. They have resource rooms and certified reading teachers. It is true that a severely handicapped child would not fare well in a Catholic school because they do not have the resources. But their are many specific schools for that (BOSCES is one). But many private schools have their fair share of ADD, those under the autistic umbrella, etc. Special ed services are hardly the reason our taxes are so high.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:37 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,904 times
Catholic schools (pretty much all non-special private schools) reject all children who they can't serve. They are not serving kids who can't be handled in a mainstream class. It is the special classes that cost so much money (sometimes in the range of $40K a year or more) and there has been an enormous growth in the past 10-15 years. Look at the huge jump in autism diagnoses. Many of those kids were just labeled "learning disabled". Now they are autistic, and receiving intensive therapies like ABA. The growth in special education services has caused a huge rise in costs for school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: